Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.

ShadowDog

Spoilers for both Winter Solider and Agents of SHIELD... not kidding, if you click and get mad at me its your own fault.

Saw a Winter Solider screener, at the end of the movie SHIELD is functionally kaput. Also interviewed the screenwriters today and they said that the connectivity in the universe is done above their level, so they had no contact with, or know how, this will effect the TV show.

Given how SHILED has been portrayed as kinda jerky in the show, makes me curious as to where they will go with this.

blue thing in the tank...Kree?

That was my initial guess, too. Further supported a bit by Sif's listing them as one of the blue folks she's seen and then even further supported by her telling Couslon not to worry, they've never been to Earth.

Uh-huh. Riiiiiiiight...

• 2 weeks later...

The big rumor is that genetic tampering via the serum derived from the Kree is how super powers and mutant powers will be explained in non-Xmen movie continuity, like Quicksilver and Scarlett Witch, since he term "mutant" cannot be used. Skye may also turn out to be Carol Danvers, which means Ms. Marvel now that she has had the serum used on her.

Things may get interesting now that 1) SHIELD knows that Coulson knows, and 2) Winter Soldier fallout.

It would've been nice if they'd structured recent S.H.I.E.L.D. episodes to dovetail into Winter Soldier, like at all. A little editorial coordination wouldn't've hurt. Comics used to handle that sort of thing all the time. It's just a matter of getting both sides to meet, discuss, and work together. Shouldn't be that hard. A 21st-century, self-aware IP marketing department should've had cross-platform storytelling synergy as one of the top three boxes to check off on their to-do list.

As it stands, though -- without getting too deeply into spoilers for S.H.I.E.L.D. fans who haven't seen the new movie yet -- there's a disappointing lack of continuity between events in the two (especially for one particular character). I suppose they could be working toward some superficial tie-ins -- say, if Centipede were revealed to be a redundant Hydra subsidiary, or maybe it's revealed that this entire season takes place prior to Winter Soldier. But if they don't acknowledge the seismic upheaval in the status quo that the movie just created in the cinematic Marvel universe, then the show's gonna seem awfully dated and irrelevant if it spends the next two months still mired in the way things used to be instead of the Here and Now.

I read something today that said they've planned for the movie, and it will be changing things on the show. In fact, they mentioned that the movie's reveal is changing the show in ways that will fix the biggest complaints by Marvel U fans.

I haven't watched the show at all yet. But now I'm curious.

I dislike the concept of a minor league roster show dictating what happens in the big leagues. The series should be dealing with things the films set up, not establishing things for the films to deal with.

They do-- I shot an interview with the screenwriters of Winter Soldier for CBR recently and they said they weren't restrained at all, and pitched and did what they wanted. The only person they deal with is Kevin Feige, who as EIC of the MCU.

The TV show had to adapt-- but they had advance warning of what was happening.

It would've been nice if they'd structured recent S.H.I.E.L.D. episodes to dovetail into Winter Soldier, like at all. A little editorial coordination wouldn't've hurt. Comics used to handle that sort of thing all the time. It's just a matter of getting both sides to meet, discuss, and work together. Shouldn't be that hard. A 21st-century, self-aware IP marketing department should've had cross-platform storytelling synergy as one of the top three boxes to check off on their to-do list.

As it stands, though -- without getting too deeply into spoilers for S.H.I.E.L.D. fans who haven't seen the new movie yet -- there's a disappointing lack of continuity between events in the two (especially for one particular character). I suppose they could be working toward some superficial tie-ins -- say, if Centipede were revealed to be a redundant Hydra subsidiary, or maybe it's revealed that this entire season takes place prior to Winter Soldier. But if they don't acknowledge the seismic upheaval in the status quo that the movie just created in the cinematic Marvel universe, then the show's gonna seem awfully dated and irrelevant if it spends the next two months still mired in the way things used to be instead of the Here and Now.

The show is adapting, starting next week. And I still won't be watching!

Okay, million-dollar question after tonight's exciting and thoroughly post-Winter Soldier episode, and beeteedubs SPOILERS ahoy:

Anyone wanna do us a favor, go back and watch the entire series from the beginning again, and see if all those episodes still make sense after tonight's surprise revelations? Because, while I couldn't see them coming until they were thirty seconds away and therefore they still technically count as surprises, Ward's big moment doesn't feel like something that was in place before the pilot. Like, at all.

Unless he's playing triple agent and willing to murder an awful lot to maintain his cover and get in good with "the Clairvoyant". I don't see him in a position to play the Snape card, though.

And, er, we're gonna figure out where Centipede and Deathlok fit into this new paradigm soon, right? Without feeling like a rush tire-patching job?

Rather like real life, in that way. What is that the neighbors always say to the reporters? "Oh, he was such a nice, quiet man. No one suspected he could do such a horrible thing!" Sometimes things just come out of left field, no warning, no foreshadowing, no obvious reasons. They're just random events.

Of course, fiction has to be plausible, whereas reality isn't constrained by something so trivial as believability. ;)

Right, but just as often there's a few "We just didn't see the warning signs." And, thinking back through past episodes, I'm not finding those kinds of signs. Except, arguably, his killing of the fake Clairvoyant one episode earlier.

In my search to see reactions about the show last night, I came across an interview with two of the executive producers about last night's episode. Here's an excerpt where they talked about the twist with Ward.

LOEB: And part of what’s so much fun is being able to go back and look at the pilot and see where Coulson says to Ward, “we haven’t scores like yours since Romanov.” Now, at the time, you probably thought “oh, that’s a really good spy.” But then if you think about what Natasha has done with her life and the number of identities she’s had and the number of people that she’s burned along the way, that may have not been the best compliment to give somebody.

BELL: Let me put this on another level: Ward had put Garrett on this plane for a reason, and so he had to come in and be accepted to this team. And so if you’d look at how he related to everyone — Coulson loves projects. Here is a guy who didn’t have people skills. So Garrett says, can you help this guy Ward round off some of the rough edges? So he comes onto the team. Coulson is now vested, because he’s got a project. Who is Ward’s greatest threat? May. What does he do? He seduces her. Who is the one unknown on the team? Skye. He becomes her S.O. How do you get everyone rally around and trust you? You jump out of a plan trying to save someone else. Now, he had a parachute. Let’s say he failed to save Simmons, he would’ve been fine. Everything he’s done has solidified how people feel about him over the course of the season.

LOEB: And what was the next thing he had to do after he saved Simmons? He had someone on the plane who was jealous of him: Fitz. And what did they do? They went on a mission together and they had a really good time together. And a bromance was started. And that took care of that.

BELL: And then even when he was with Lorelei, and she was talking about the darkness inside of him and the other qualities, she saw something that a lot of other people hadn’t seen. So we feel like we laid things out pretty well. Because you don’t want to over tip your hand, but we think people are pretty smart, and you can look back and go, “oh yeah, it was all there the whole time if I had looked.” And what’s fun now that you’ve seen 17, watch it again, or watch 16 again, and every look Ward does seems to have a double meaning.

I don't know how much of was a legitimate effort by the writers to set this up earlier on and how much of it is them rationalizing this after the fact, but I don't exactly feel like going back to rewatch the series right now to check on these.

When did you become so cynical, Six?

What. I called it "exciting". That's a positive. And I really-x-10 liked Winter Soldier.

But watching a lot more TV than usual this season has begun to fray on my nerves and I'm finding myself more easily aggravated with shows that don't consistently step up their game. In a TV season where Walking Dead did some amazing things, Once Upon a Time has only stumbled a tad after a championship-winning midseason finale, Community has made the mother of all comebacks, Sherlock did its usual A-plus thing, my wife and I have discovered the whimsy and wonder of Doctor Who, AND even that stepchild Revolution has raised its grade point average from a C-minus to a low B and is clearly still working on it...

This, y'see, is the field in which S.H.I.E.L.D. wants to compete for my attention. I want to watch because I enjoy several aspects of it (thankfully "Skyeward" wasn't one of them), but the showrunners lost my trust several episodes ago. Up until the last few episodes this show was working for me at about Threat Level Smallville, along with the just-okay Almost Human and this year's alarming Downton Abbey misfire of a season. IMHO the results here haven't lived up to ABC's strained promotional bluster.

Granted, this episode was a huge turnaround, and I'd love to see them turn this one-hit wonder of an episode into a season-ending home run, but I'm not breathless and starry-eyed about the prospects just yet.

I've found I treat Agents of SHIELD and its relationship the the MCU movies the same way I do which Marvel comics I don't read in relation to the ones I do. I keep up so I know how the universe is going, and how it may tie into what I AM paying attention to, but I'll only check it out if the previews start blowing my mind.

I've not been taking it seriously for weeks. I just can't get into five 30-year old models scanning, typing, calling, using 3D holograms and crushing on each other.

Alright, for Tuesday night spoilers then...

* NumberSix wonders if Centipede is part of Hydra. I think that's a foregone conclusion. If Garrett knows about Coulson's Girl with the Flowery Dress that only Raina knew, then that means that he's in touch with Raina. As he's the Clairavoyant, that means Hydra is directing Centipede since Garrett is with Hydra.

* Ward: Triple Agent or Closet Hydra All Along?: Well, he and Coulson exchanged a couple of looks...and he seemed pretty upset when that montage showed Coulson telling him about Garrett. Could he just not believe that Garrett is the Clairavoyant? Could he be hoping to get more info? Did he set up a fake killing of Victoria Hand and the two crash-test dummies guarding Garrett?

I admit it would be more interesting if he is just straight up Hydra. Of course, his unintended attraction to Skye will bring him back. :(

* On the other hand, I'm still holding out for Simmons to be the real spy.

* May: one of the reasons I keep watching the show. Too bad she spent much of the episode handcuffed.

* Liked some of the stuff they pulled from Winter Soldier like Fitz's prototype whatchamadohicky that Nick Fury used in WS to escape through the bottom of his vehicle. I assumed news of Fury's "death" would be a predictable tie-in to the movie to keep it firmly grounded in film-universe, but, obviously, anything that affects S.H.I.E.L.D in this universe has to affect the show. Just want to know how long it will take before they re-form into something like S.H.I.E.L.D.

It would be more shocking for one of the sweet kids to be the spy than the hardened muscle, it would be a blow to Fitz and allow for more character development for him and let the girl be the spy for once.

Not that I want Ward's Zero Personality back on the Bus, but it would certainly be different if it wasn't him!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.