Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.

ShadowDog

So, uh, I see their big solution is to replace Bill Paxton's blood with several pints of Red Bull and let him do whatever he wants, and then bring in Nick Fury to solve all their problems for them (even brought 'em a deus ex machina super-gun as a "Congrats on not getting cancelled" gift) and depressingly remind us how he's twenty times cooler than all the actual cast members combined.

And then Jackson gets to ride off into the sunset and other Marvel movies, while everyone else is still trapped inside this show, left to figure out how to pass the time for another twenty-one episodes until he saves them at the end of next season, too.

He barely even had to wear a costume. Must be nice work if you can get it.

It's cool they let May show off for a couple minutes, at least.

(even brought 'em a deus ex machina super-gun as a "Congrats on not getting cancelled" gift)

Not that I really want to get into the details of what is and what isn't a deus ex machina, but that weapon was the gun reverse-engineered from the Destroyer of Thor and introduced in The Avengers. Coulson used it to shoot Loki after he stabbed him. It's why he said "I know what it does" when Fury gave it to him (recall that Coulson told Loki, "Even I don't know what it does" as a pseudo-threat). It was more of a call back, I think, than a DEM, but it was awfully lucky that Fury had that particular weapon with him. I'll note that it did about as well against Garrett as it did against Loki, even though it is Asgard-derived technology, and is far less powerful than that HYDRA-built weapon that vaporized Garrett at the end.

Ah, yes, I'd forgotten about that specific gun.

Okay, so the day was saved by a weapon that preexisted in the same universe, but appeared nowhere in the previous 21 episodes, which is one less episode than Nick Fury himself didn't appear in. I'll concede it's not deus ex machina.

But it's still a copout. Bottom line: Coulson's team wasn't good enough to win their own Final Boss Battle in a show where they are supposed to be the stars.

Didn't Ward and Garrett recover that Hydra weapon from the Fridge?

I like how the season ended. Trip is far more likable than Ward. We get Billy Koenig and his Playground. Coulson going all (alien-influenced?) mind-mappy like Garrett.

Didn't Ward and Garrett recover that Hydra weapon from the Fridge?

I like how the season ended. Trip is far more likable than Ward. We get Billy Koenig and his Playground. Coulson going all (alien-influenced?) mind-mappy like Garrett.

Agreed. Trip doesn't make me want to punch him or roll my eyes at him in the way that Ward always did, and I'm looking forward to seeing where they're taking Coulson and Skye now that she's starting to get a personality, rather than wandering around like Faith the Slayer's less-charismatic cousin.

Plus, they finally let May beat the crap out of Ward, which was nice.

I didn't really feel like Fury was a cop-out, so much as it felt like "fan service because we're not sure we're getting a second season, so might as well". I'm not sure he was necessary, but his addition to the episode was fun, so I'll take it.

• 2 weeks later...

Thoroughly enjoyed that ending! Final episode was shown here in England last night. A lot of good action and plenty of laugh out loud moments.

After a slow start, ending up really enjoying this series - the integration of the events from The Winter Soldier worked a treat!

Looking forward to series 2!

• 9 months later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.