Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.

ShadowDog

I agree with you, 'dog, that Flash episode was excellent! DK, you're probably better off, AoS does seem like a slow burn. I think I would like it more if I didn't have to wait week to week. Is it weird that I keep imagining Mac is Luke Cage?

• 2 weeks later...

Eh, so they're not working for Cap or Fury. Whatever. Felt like not much happened this episode. More Sky "I can't control my powers" filler, more sniping between Fitz and Simmons, more Mac and Bobbie looking shifty...at least we got to see what Ward has been up to. I do have to say he's a lot more interesting as a villain.

Loved the flashback sequences. It's kind of hard to root for the main characters when the other S.H.I.E.L.D. is run by Edward James Olmos in full 'stachioed glory. I hope it all eventually shakes out with him in charge and the characters played by Lucy Lawless and Saffron Burrows not being dead after all.

A bit more exciting this last episode! Will we get a cameo of a recognizable Inhuman now that Sky was taken away to wherever the others are?

My inner cynic says there's not a chance (they gave Lockjaw's powers to a boring Cyclops ripoff!) but something in me is still hoping for Gorgon or Karnak or an Alpha Primitive or two.

Loved the flashback sequences. It's kind of hard to root for the main characters when the other S.H.I.E.L.D. is run by Edward James Olmos in full 'stachioed glory. I hope it all eventually shakes out with him in charge and the characters played by Lucy Lawless and Saffron Burrows not being dead after all. me is still hoping for Gorgon or Karnak or an Alpha Primitive or two.

When all the dust settles and heroes have stopped shooting heroes over their stupid inability to pick up a phone and talk this stuff out, I'd love to see a SHIELD dream team emerge consisting of Olmos, May, Xena, Hunter, the real Victoria Hand, a magically resurrected Triplett, Fitz, Mockingbird, Sharon Carter, Anthony Mackie as the Falcon, and three Patton Oswalt LMDs.

I don't think this could have been talked out. two different charismatic strong willed men want the throne. never in history has that been settled with conversation.

thinking about Lucy Lawless I guess this means if she hadn't been killed off early this season she would have been on the Real Shield side

I don't think this could have been talked out. two different charismatic strong willed men want the throne. never in history has that been settled with conversation.

Part of the problem is Olmos doesn't know Fury's alive. Granted, he seems to disapprove of how Fury ran SHIELD, but I like to think things could've taken a direction other than heroes-punching-heroes if only Coulson would tell him. But he won't, because either (a) he thinks Olmos doesn't deserve to know and all this internecine backstabbing will somehow be totally worth the pain and suffering to our national security in the long run; or (b) Fury himself would have to be willing to show up and set everyone straight, but no way does SLJ settle for being a TV regular.

Well, he's made a couple of appearances already. I wouldn't rule out a third to resolve this situation.

All I know for sure is that I feel like this show has finally & officially reached the next level, because after falling behind an episode, I watched the last two back-to-back and really wanted there to be another episode to watch after the last one ended. It's a sure sign that a show has found its stride when you can't wait for the next episode.

Loved the flashback sequences. It's kind of hard to root for the main characters when the other S.H.I.E.L.D. is run by Edward James Olmos in full 'stachioed glory. I hope it all eventually shakes out with him in charge and the characters played by Lucy Lawless and Saffron Burrows not being dead after all.

A bit more exciting this last episode! Will we get a cameo of a recognizable Inhuman now that Sky was taken away to wherever the others are?

My inner cynic says there's not a chance (they gave Lockjaw's powers to a boring Cyclops ripoff!) but something in me is still hoping for Gorgon or Karnak or an Alpha Primitive or two.

We know it won't be Vinbolt Dieselgon!

I hadn't thought about that character having Lockjaw's power. I want the big dog to show up in the movie!

Lotta people this week carrying the Idiot Ball.

* The new guy letting it slip that Raina was staying with them in Diet Attilan.

* Coulson tipping off S.H.I.E.L.D. long before Deathlok shows up instead of waiting.

* The loaded gun scene between May and Edward James Olmos. Two idiot balls!

* Simmons trusting Coulson's fate to a guy with actual literal physical brain damage. Why isn't she the one to smuggle it out? Because Idiot Ball!

* Skype not just crushing Raina like a bug merely because someone else walked in the room.

I hadn't thought about that character having Lockjaw's power. I want the big dog to show up in the movie!

Me too. But odds are the Inhumans movie will probably mostly be a Quicksilver, Scarlet Witch, Vision (and, if lucky, Crystal) Avengers spin-off rather than a proper Inhumans film with The Inhumans in it.

Lotta people this week carrying the Idiot Ball.

* The new guy letting it slip that Raina was staying with them in Diet Attilan.

* Coulson tipping off S.H.I.E.L.D. long before Deathlok shows up instead of waiting.

* The loaded gun scene between May and Edward James Olmos. Two idiot balls!

* Simmons trusting Coulson's fate to a guy with actual literal physical brain damage. Why isn't she the one to smuggle it out? Because Idiot Ball!

* Skype not just crushing Raina like a bug merely because someone else walked in the room.

These are some good points but I think a couple have explanations. I suspect they wanted Skye to run into Raina because the compound wasn't big enough for the two of them forever. Might as well get the confrontation over with when they knew it was going to happen rather than some random unexpected time. I think this because Skye walked like six feet away and then practically ran over Raina so it wasn't like they tried very hard to keep the two away from each other.

The loaded gun thing with Olmos came across as theater. May isn't a sociopath. She's not going to shoot an unarmed man in cold blood who hasn't directly threatened her or her team. Now she could have put the gun to his temple and tried to force her way out but it looked like they were willing to let her go anyway. Sometimes its worth a little risk to gain someone's trust. Basically I look at it the same way as if Olmos had walked in the room wearing a chicken suit. He was trying to get her attention.

I got nothing for the rest of it though. Idiot Ball.

Simmons trusting Coulson's fate to a guy with actual literal physical brain damage. Why isn't she the one to smuggle it out?

That's the exact reason why it was the best shot to work, because Fitz is less likely to be suspected. He's likely to be underestimated by the other SHIELD (and you, apparently), but we and Coulson's team have seen that, though he may not be at full capacity, he's still quite capable. Simmons, meanwhile, has always been known as level-headed, which makes it more plausible that she would "come to reason" and agree to help them.

As for Coulson's timing, he did want to hijack their ride, so they had to lure them in. If Deathlok was already there ahead of time, he would have likely been detected. Your statement assumes that Coulson went early for no reason, which is possible, but it's at least as possible that he was expecting Deathlok sooner and Deathlok (who apparently was coming from overseas) arrived late. Sure, they were going for dramatic effect, but it's not like it was implausible circumstances that created it.

Man, you guys are putting more thought into it than the show. For Skye and Raina - when your explanation for why a character does something can just as easily be an explanation for why the writers did something then that's a sign to me that the explanation is more than a little suspect (like what did they say to each other either at Inhumans HQ or ABC HQ "Sure, what we have here is an ancient secret society with multiple facilities apparently all over the world and the foresight to keep these two characters separate but since we really want them to meet each other soon enough we might as well keep them apart for only just a little while and then when they get together they can sort of have a half-fight"). For Olmos and May - oh my god, the same thing, it comes across as theater because it IS theater the only reason the character is doing it is because it's dramatic - otherwise it's just an incredibly dangerous thing to do which ends up making them both look more than a little stupid (May, the supercompetent agent at a supercompetent agency, can't tell if there's a bullet in the chamber just by the weight? Does Olmos keep his dad's gun on the downed helicarrier and go there just to get it and give that specific speech in that specific place - is his dad's special Nazikilling gun not allowed to come with him when he leaves?). Simmons and Fitz - we don't see them arrive at this decision (for good reason, it would ruin the surprise) so it can be tough to suss out exactly why the two of them decided Fitz would be a better choice to smuggle out the secretbox instead of Simmons (actually, maybe a better way for it to have happened would be for it to be revealed with the sandwiches and the note and the secretbox that Simmons had manipulated Fitz into this and not even trusted him with the plan from the outset; but I was also a little unclear on how the secretbox got to him, did he pull a sleight of hand trick in that scene where he confronted them when she's analyzing it or did she put it in his backpack later and soon the guys at the base will realize the secretbox is missing?) but I remain surprised at Simmons trusting Fitz with this. Maybe I missed something though and this is an extension of their little handholding moment when the new Shield guys broke in last episode - maybe things are better between them then they seemed to me.

after reconsidering it, okay on Coulson's timing

Nah. Guardians wasn't. Give them a little more faith. It's unlikely they care anymore about what's going on on AOS than anyone else.

But I mean I do expect Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch in that movie too.

Yeah. I don't think any of the Nu Inhumans from the show are going to matter to the movie nor would I really want any of them to (so far they're all kind of boring with the sole possible exception of Skye's Mom) - I just mean that the classic Inhumans from the comics I assume are likely to be sidelined in favour of the Avengers - which is again like you say something that past experience from a film like Guardians shows isn't a cert and anyway not sure why I'm complaining it's not like I wouldn't love to see a movie where Quicksilver just yells at The Vision for an hour while Scarlet Witch mopes in the corner and then they all go fight the High Evolutionary or whatever. Not joking - I'd probably like that just as much as a proper Inhumans movie where Queen Medusa and her taciturn husband save their city from Kaptroids and Shatterstar (the Kree guy with the ridiculously busy costume design; not the mutant guy from the 90s).

So, what if this new "real" SHIELD team isn't just temporary...?

Holy Crap, We're Getting An Agents Of SHIELD TV Spin-Off

As the article mentions, we know almost nothing at this point and there are many directions the show could go, but if Admiral Adama is a popular enough guest star, I can see them keeping him to head the spin-off. There are more than enough usable characters, sometimes too many. I was quite happy to see Deathlok return (though it still bugs me that they refuse to give him his faceplate and actually make him look like Deathlok) and had hoped way back in the beginning that he would become a regular. He could fill a key role in the "smaller, elite unit" idea. Or maybe be part of a mostly powered team, though I can't see them taking Skye/Daisy/Quake away from this show. It'd be ironic to have such a team and put Adama in charge of it, given his stance and apparent role of Stark to Coulson's Rogers in this developing Civil War kickoff.

Whichever direction the new show takes, it's good news to me and hopefully won't lessen any chance Agent Carter has of another go-around. I also hope that this means that one of these two SHIELD shows - and I'm really not picky which one - will feature some honest to goodness, suspense and intrigue filled spy missions that have been the backbone of what SHIELD has been for most of its fifty year Marvel history. The MCU may have taken the "International Espionage" out of the acronym, but they've portrayed Fury as a master spy, they've shown plenty of gadgets, and made many references to these sorts of missions, but rarely do we actually get to see them and when we have, it's typically sort of a wham-bam brief part of the episode.

Thumbs-up to that entire last paragraph. Not really interested in Marvel's Agents of SHIELD: Inhumans Victims Unit, though.

Best-case spinoff scenario: Age of Ultron reveals Jeremy Renner is actually Barney Barton and "Hunter" is the real Clint Barton (fake accent being part of his cover). Ultron kills Renner, yadda yadda yadda, next season we present Marvel's Hawkeye and Mockingbird.

• 2 weeks later...

Thumbs-up to that entire last paragraph. Not really interested in Marvel's Agents of SHIELD: Inhumans Victims Unit, though.

Best-case spinoff scenario: Age of Ultron reveals Jeremy Renner is actually Barney Barton and "Hunter" is the real Clint Barton (fake accent being part of his cover). Ultron kills Renner, yadda yadda yadda, next season we present Marvel's Hawkeye and Mockingbird.

Great, now no matter what else happens in the MCU, it will never live up to this.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.