Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.

ShadowDog

I get the comparison for sure-- but I think in this day and age you just have to do better. Shows get cancelled at the drop of a hat, and the bar for storytelling on TV has been raised so ridiculously high by shows like Breaking Bad or Mad Men that even network genre shows need to come out swinging.

Your point is totally valid, any show can grow into itself, but hardly anyone, from viewers to network execs has the patience for it these days.

The show has certainly not been one of my favorite shows by any means, but I've been enjoying it well enough. Despite how clunky it has often/usually been, I actually have to give it a decent amount of credit. The producers (generic use, not necessarily the specific people wiht that title) have had a somewhat difficult tightrope to walk with it. Unlike previous shows by Whedon and company, which generally just did their own thing without regard to worrying about the general audience, the Disney/Marvel corporate machine has so much wrapped up int the Marvel cinematic universe that, since they're doing this, they need to make this accessible to the general population (while presumably hoping to keep the niche fanbase interested). At the same time, they have all sorts of constraints on the show, including budget and, especially, avoiding stepping on the toes of the films. This does not at all seem like an easy task to me, especially when compared to shows creating an interesting universe of their own. I think they have done a decent job of walking this tightrope.

I am glad that they have, at least somewhat, wrapped up the two initial big mysteries of the show, being what happened to Coulson and Skye's basic backstory. Now that they have those and the team dynamic firmly in place, hopefully, they will be able to tell more interesting stories from her on out. I am also excited that they are going to be bringing in more established Marvel characters into the mix, though I think it was useful to establish the core group ahead of time.

This past episode was probably my favorite episode of the series with its relatively light tone while progressing the various ongoing stories. I have also always liked Fitz and Simmons, so I've usually been a fan of episodes focusing on them.

Post post disclaimer: I am well aare of the shows faults, but I have to spend so much time being critical during the day that I tend to focus more on whether I can enjoy my sources of entertainment rather than the picking things apart (until they ruin the experience for me, of course).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Bill Paxton was a welcome breath of fresh, manly, macho air, but seems like kind of a waste of his time (and a real comics character) considering the bad guys he faced this week were an unarmed prisoner, two henchmen, and a red digital readout.

The "G.H." thing is really bugging me, though. Were we supposed to recognize that thing in the tank, or is this yet another mystery for us to guess? My first stab at the acronym was "Gamma Hormone", but I suppose that's not right.

We're usually a day or two behind, because we watch it On Demand, but I'm still here and I'm still happy. Though, the next time we see Deathlok, his face better be cyborg-y and stuff. And they better do more with him than just make him another token nod to established characters. The show needs some of those types of characters to actually be woven into the fabric, not just used in the revolving door of mostly meaningless cameos.

Plus, before this show started, I was hoping that Gunn was going to be a regular, or at least regularly recurring, cast member. :no:

Well that episode, while paced a bit badly, knocked the series up a level IMO.

Having more senior SHEILD agents knocking around apart from the rentacrowd staffers we've seen in the past episodes was good. The mystery of the clairvoyant is building nicely.

TAHITI and GH are both intriguing and clearly setting the show up for an interaction with one of the upcoming movies.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.