Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.

ShadowDog

Damn that was this week? Crap! Missed this weeks episode :( Knew Graviton was coming, or at least his pre-Graviton self.

Oops. My bad on the spoilers. :blush:

Other than a mustache and slight beard, the physical resemblance was nil, and there wasn't any moment where he stood up in a blue-'n'-white costume and proclaimed, "SOON THE WORLD WILL BOW BEFORE...GRAVITON!" So most of the rest of the world missed it, too.

• 3 weeks later...

Someone on Twitter also mentioned something called Sunfire. But yeah, Scorch is lame but obviously one goal of this series is to mint brand new characters who can then live on in comics ... even if they die on screen.

I have always been a super Joss Whedon doing TV fan ... but has Kevin Smith Quentin Tarantino disease. He never evolves. So what starts off as ground breaking and brilliant has become stale and boring. Case in point ... someone on your team betrays you, they're in the doghouse for a while, they earn their way back. Seen that on every Joss series ever. I've actually been waiting for it. At some point within the next 5 episodes one of the secondary characters is gonna die, probably one of the two nerds. I could go on but we've all seen the other series, we know what's coming in some form or another.

I was actually rather relieved that it wasn't Sunfire. At first, I thought maybe it was and they decided to make him Chinese instead of Japanese. When it comes to disposable heroes/villains, they should definitely make new characters (though I'd rather them not make imitation versions of established characters like this). Now, if they did Sunfire right, I'd love it. Things like that would help to not only add a little diversity, but further establish the show inside the Marvel universe without having to worry about any possible movie-verse complications. They could have done it, too, because even if he's considered an X-character for film purposes, I believe Marvel still has TV rights to all those characters.

FYI, for unknowing folk like Dex, Sunfire has been around a long time and, though a supporting character, is certainly capable and worthy of an appearance. Heck, he's already no stranger to the small screen. He first appeared decades ago on Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends! :cool:

http://spiderman-web.com/spiderman/tvshows/spiderfriends/spiderfriendsimages/sunfire/fireheroes.jpg

Sunfire is a mutant and debuted in Uncanny X-Men so Fox owns the character rights.

Is their deal different than Sony's Spider-Man deal then? From what I've read, the rights for most of these characters are specifically film rights. As regards television, Marvel still owns the rights to all of their characters. I would suspect that Fox's deal is also movie-specific, since the last two or three animated X-Men shows have been on non-Fox stations.

I'm about to become one of them. Bored out of my mind.

My quick fix armchair showrunner list to save this show:

1. Smaller cast, based around 3 leads: Coulson, Melinda and a third that's an established Marvel character from the comics that we know is a superhero, but isn't yet in this world. (Carol Danvers for example). Coulson is the company man, Melinda is the moral center, knowing SHIELD isn't always golden, third lead the one who is learning to be a superhero through each case.

2. Limit the supporting cast to 1-2 acts. They are using the ALIAS model a lot, so do what that show did. Show everyone in the first two acts, then the second half of the show is just the leads on-mission.

3. Add a little edge. Alias was a cartoon, but SD6 killed Sydney's boyfriend. Sloan had people bumped off and tortured. Sydney and Jack had a lot of relationship issues to work out from her childhood. Captain America 2 is implying a large faction of SHIELD is corrupt, let's play up on that and make this group go rogue. Less support, and focusing on missions that serve that bigger purpose.

4. In general, more character conflict. All the conflict on the show comes from the bad guy on the mission, with the computer chick being occasionally conflicted. There needs to be more personally at stake for the characters.

5. Stories should be less rogue superpower of the week, and mythology building.

3. Add a little edge. Alias was a cartoon, but SD6 killed Sydney's boyfriend. Sloan had people bumped off and tortured. Sydney and Jack had a lot of relationship issues to work out from her childhood. Captain America 2 is implying a large faction of SHIELD is corrupt, let's play up on that and make this group go rogue. Less support, and focusing on missions that serve that bigger purpose.

Taking off wherever Winter Soldier leaves us with SHIELD, there's opportunity in your premise for the SHIELD dynamic between Hill and Fury and there HAS to be a place, too, for Whedon's own SWORD.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.