Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.

ShadowDog

Not side characters, just not super heroes. It's like X-Files, in a way, except it's set in the Marvel universe; SHIELD instead of the FBI/X-Files, and plot devices drawn around things existing in the Marvel universe or movieverse instead of the supernatural or extraterrestrial (well, some extraterrestrial obviously...we got some Chitauri references tonight).

Tonight, it was (mostly) extremis...which was unexpected, but cool.

One episode in, and I'm satisfied.

I thought it was fun-- but really on the nose and not subtle and even cliche at times... but it's network TV so it's to be expected. They are casting a really wide, really commercial net with this so I doubt it will ever have the genius or intensity of a cable show... and without the star power/charisma of the Avengers it's going to be an uphill battle.

I'm along for the ride for now though, it seems fun enough.

One nitpick-- they borrowed Extremis from Iron Man 3 as a tie-in... but didn't Tony have a cure for it by the end of the movie?

Felt a bit ... overcrowded. Two tie-in characters to the Marvel cinemaverse, two reluctant action heroes, three techies, four mysterious past-ys.

Also, ABC, if you had realized years ago that all you really want for yourself is a fun peppy spy-fi action show you could have kept the one you had and we'd be well on our way to Season Six of The Middleman.

One nitpick-- they borrowed Extremis from Iron Man 3 as a tie-in... but didn't Tony have a cure for it by the end of the movie?

Did they already know about the Chautari tech at this point? Maybe it was unknown in what capacity Extremis was involved?

Should there be an interactive online version of the No-Prize?

YAAAAAY CAMEO YAAAAY REFERENCES TO THE MOVIES YAAAY CRAZY STAFF-LAUNCHED EXPLODING SONIC WAVE GRENADE

I just realized Melinda May's alliterative initials make her name a classic Marvel-style one (Peter Parker, Bruce Banner, Matt Murdock etcetera) and therefore of all the characters on this show I hope she's the one to make the transition to the comics universe.

Oh, and I didn't notice last time but it seems that Jim Steranko (who is apparently reviewing each episode of the series for The Hollywood Reporter), Mark Millar, Bryan Hitch are thanked in the credits. Louis D'Esposito too, a name that was unfamiliar to me without Google but it seems he's a longtime assistant director and producer who's Co-President of Marvel Studios and directed the Item 47 and Agent Carter DVD extra short films.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.