CONFIRMED Star Wars Episode 7 news

Driver

Cheers Tank.

Is it really just marketing ? Do any of us know this for sure ?

Whether it really is Canon or not, this is still an indication as to how it's all going in terms of quality of writing. I've not read any of these books myself and I probably won't, but they DO tie into the films and these writers are all still employed by Disney and their books are still signed off by them too.

I read somewhere that one thing from the EU has already made it over to the new Canon, and I can't remember what it is. It may be the Outrider (Dash Rendars ship from Shadows of the Empire), but I could be wrong.

One piece of information that came from JJ during a question and answers panel was that he was only treating the original films as Canon, which to me sounded like he was purposely avoiding any reference to the prequels, which is a good sign, but then again he say's that Kylo Ren is well aware of what came before (Vader). JJ is a hard one to trust, he lied about Kahn lol !

I'm an EU fan, I've talked with people on the Story Group, some of the authors, and am friends with people who work for Del Rey. Driver and Krawlie are right on the money. The Story Group is in charge of making sure everything flows together continuity wise. Most importantly, right now they're making sure all the comics and books won't contradict anything in The Force Awakens--not the other way around. The Story Group has mapped out what happens between Return of the Jedi and the TFA. So now, whenever someone is brought in to write a book that takes place after Jedi, the Story Group will tell them what is happening in the universe at that time, and the author will create their story within those confines. For example, with Aftermath Chuck Wendig got to pitch his own story idea, and then he had to place it within the confines of the larger story (which is where the interludes come in).

The EU hate isn't an indicator for the movie I don't think. People who hated the old EU hate the new one. People who loved the old EU hate the new one because it isn't the old one. The fact they are allegedly poorly written doesn't help.

What happens if you like both?! *gasp*

Then you're strange

In all seriousness, there's parts of the new EU that I like (mostly the comics). But Aftermath...good shit that was horrible.

The EU hate isn't an indicator for the movie I don't think. People who hated the old EU hate the new one. People who loved the old EU hate the new one because it isn't the old one. The fact they are allegedly poorly written doesn't help.

What happens if you like both?! *gasp*

Then you're strange

Confirmed! Especially considering I liked Aftermath. :p

Guest El Chalupacabra

Don't worry about it. You just don't seem to fully understand the difference between Canon and EU and how the books now effect the films, and vice versa.

It's like Star Trek now, all the writers on TNG have to be aware of what took place in the original series etc... and so on. Otherwise there are contradictions and mistakes are made. That's why they rebooted that franchise, so they didn't have to adhere to what took place before.

Mistakes and contradictions have been made in the Trek Universe despite this, which is something Disney don't want to repeat, hence throwing away all the EU crap.

Are you talking to me?

If so, I was saying that the recasting of Kirk was less than successful, at least with Chris Pine in the role. I didn't like how he portrayed Kirk as sort of a goof ball at times. Hemsworth would have been a far superior Kirk.

I generally am not a fan of recasting to begin with. While I agree Han Solo could possibly be replaced if killed off (it would be a good excuse to bring in Lando for Episode 8), I have ZERO interest in recasting Solo for an origin movie.

That is what I was getting at. Not getting into debating about EU.

No El Chalupacabra, It was aimed at Krawlie.

I'm not going to debate the new Canon either, I'm accepting it for what it is. Disney owns the franchise now, and they say it's Canon, so I'm going along with that. I'm not in denial over it like some people on here are lol !

The Directors of these films will have to stick to the basic outline of what is already in place, just as Irvin Kershner and Richard Marquand had to with George Lucas's outlines, and it's these outlines that influence everything, films, comics, TV shows etc...

To be honest I can just choose to ignore what I don't like. To me Anakin did not have an Apprentice who called him 'Sky Guy'. That's just f'cking awful.

No El Chalupacabra, It was aimed at Krawlie.

I'm not going to debate the new Canon either, I'm accepting it for what it is. Disney owns the franchise now, and they say it's Canon, so I'm going along with that. I'm not in denial over it like some people on here are lol !

The Directors of these films will have to stick to the basic outline of what is already in place, just as Irvin Kershner and Richard Marquand had to with George Lucas's outlines, and it's these outlines that influence everything, films, comics, TV shows etc...

To be honest I can just choose to ignore what I don't like. To me Anakin did not have an Apprentice who called him 'Sky Guy'. That's just f'cking awful.

If a director wants to do something that goes against "canon" from books or whatever, he will. The story committee will then retcon or whatever in the books to make it jive with the movies.

The goal is that there's nothing to contradict. The author who wrote the A New Hope young reader adaptation wanted to include things about Han's backstory. Story Group told her she had to take it out. Needless to say, she wasn't too surprised when a young Han Solo movie was announced.

Authors aren't going to be allowed to write about anything that might be a conflict later on. That's not to say contradictions won't happen, just that they're being very deliberate with the worldbuilding. There's a reason there's only been one post-RotJ book so far.

Even though Kershner and Marquand where given a lot of creative freedom there where still places they couldn't go.

One thing I've read about these new books is that Po Dameron's parents served under Han Solo during or after the battle of Endor, obviously this is most likely an idea concieved by Kasdan and Abrams. I like this idea a lot if Han is to take Po under his wing etc... Please do not kill off Han Solo in this film, it will be the worst thing they could do. I want to see him in all three, and to see him go off on a mission with Lando (like in one of the Timothy Zahn novels) would be way beyond awesome.

I want to see him in all three, and to see him go off on a mission with Lando (like in one of the Timothy Zahn novels) would be way beyond awesome.

Don't count on that.

I can only imagine what it took to drag Ford back into Star Wars. I don't think it was just money. And has anyone heard whether Billy Dee Williams is in negotiations to appear in Episode VIII?

Besides, Zahn's work is awful. Emulating it would show zero creativity.

It wouldn't be emulating Zahn's work at all, it's just an idea that any Star Wars writer could come up with. They are both buddies with a past who now both serve the Rebellion (or Resistance). Makes perfect sense and would be a logical progression. What would you have them do, sit around knitting cardigans on the Millenium Falcon ? lol !

What you are saying is like saying that if a writer decides to put in a X Wing / Tie Fighter Dog fight again or had another Lightsaber battle then they would be emulating George Lucas lol !

Kasdan has said Lando isn't done with yet. I know he's in Rebels but I don't think that's what he is referring to. Could be the young Han movie though.

They are both buddies with a past who now both serve the Rebellion (or Resistance). Makes perfect sense and would be a logical progression. What would you have them do, sit around knitting cardigans on the Millenium Falcon ? lol !.

I wouldn't have them do anything together. They have a past, but even before Lando turned Han over to Fett on Cloud City, Han confided to Leia that he didn't trust him. It hardly seems like the two have a close friendship even before the betrayal.

Lando's animosity towards Han on the landing platform was expected by Han and Chewbacca. Lando turning into a "friendly ol' buddy" threw Han for a loop (watch his face). That was fake. That was not their true relationship. Solo did not expect any forgiveness from Calrissian for whatever incident (was it only winning the Falcon from him, or something else?) that Han was sure Lando had "forgotten all about". Solo certainly wouldn't have gone to Bespin if any other choices were available to him.

Having Han lend the Falcon to Calrissian before the battle at Endor may have been purely tactical move, rather than a gesture of true friendship. Han couldn't fly it to Endor, as they needed to use the stolen Imperial shuttle, and he may not have wanted her to sit vulnerable in the docking bay of a warship going into battle (as it would be destroyed if the warship were destroyed). Maybe Han counted on Calrissian taking the Falcon and running away with it if the fighting took a turn for the worse? Calrissian certainly demonstrated a knack for looking out for himself.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.