CONFIRMED Star Wars Episode 7 news

Driver

Indy 4 doh!

I just watched a Vanity Fair interview with JJ, it could be great, I'm just not letting my guard down this time. The prequels where more promising than anything we've seen yet for this film. I've been reading reviews on the new canon novels, and people are hating them, again this is another bad indication of where this is all going.

I think the biggest mistake Disney have made so far is that they are officially going forward with a young Han Solo movie. How the hell are they going to replace such an iconic actor to play such an iconic character ? I think it's the worst idea they've come up with yet. They will ruin it. The only way I would want to see it would be with a photo realistic CG model of Harrison Ford, but it would have to be completely convincing.

The EU hate isn't an indicator for the movie I don't think. People who hated the old EU hate the new one. People who loved the old EU hate the new one because it isn't the old one. The fact they are allegedly poorly written doesn't help.

Yeah but these new novels aren't considered EU they are Canon. I was reading an article just earlier today regarding how the current books incorporate some of Lucas's original ideas, the stuff Michael Arndt wrote and is directly linked to 'The Force Awakens'.

Disney are now regarding everything they do as Canon, that's why they've scrapped the EU and are starting over. They are going to milk Star Wars more than George Lucas ever did.

I'm not a fan of Rebels nor was I a huge fan of Clone Wars, it's just a shame all that stuff and the prequels weren't scrapped too.

As for pulling off replacing Shatner with Pine, I disagree. He did a good job but will never be Captain Kirk as far as I'm concerned.

You said...'the movies inform the books, the books do NOT inform the movies. The quality of one has nothing to do with the quality of the other'.

In the past the novels where spin off's, they where not considered Canon. They where a separate entity and they where referred to as 'Expanded Universe'. George Lucas always said that those books had nothing to do with him or his films.

You're telling me now that things haven't changed ? Ofcourse they have. Everything has to be approved now to tie into the films because these books are no longer EU, they are Canon, and they are all now part of a larger body of work that directly tie into each other. What happens in these books is relevant to what happens in the films and vice versa. This was not the case with EU, so you are wrong, the quality of one will have some effect on the other.

Somewhere in the Disney filing system will be a whole new Star Wars bible with probably enough material to draw on to keep making films and novels for another twenty years. They have their outline done already. The writers know this going in, and they are just adding something to the bigger picture.

So you're telling me me when Rian Johnson wrote the script for episode 8, he had to consult all the books and other canon material, both released and so far unrelated, before completing it and before filming?

If you think that I have a bridge to sell you. I really can't believe how many times I've had to explain this to people.

Rian Johnson will need to be informed as to what took place before the events in the film he is about to write and direct, and that includes what has taken place in the previous films, Rebels, Clone Wars and yes the novels (not the EU novels).

I doubt he has to draw from it, but he needs to make sure that nothing he does conflicts because like I said, this is all CANON now and is part of a larger body of work.

Guest El Chalupacabra

I would argue that replacing Captain Kirk was harder and they pulled that off. Replacing Han Solo is totally doable.

THAT is debatable.

All due respect to Chris Pine (who is a decent actor), I can think of a half dozen actors they should have picked. His Kirk was pretty sub par, and really he channeled Han Solo more than Kirk.

Don't worry about it. You just don't seem to fully understand the difference between Canon and EU and how the books now effect the films, and vice versa.

It's like Star Trek now, all the writers on TNG have to be aware of what took place in the original series etc... and so on. Otherwise there are contradictions and mistakes are made. That's why they rebooted that franchise, so they didn't have to adhere to what took place before.

Mistakes and contradictions have been made in the Trek Universe despite this, which is something Disney don't want to repeat, hence throwing away all the EU crap.

Why would you expect Disney to worry about continuity and contradictions cropping up? Disney is in the business of selling Star Wars. They're not fans in the way we are. I doubt anyone at Disney and/or Lucasfilm is as passionate about continuity and canon as some fans. When organizing a movie they're going to spend hundreds of millions on, with the hope of earning billions on, no one is going to fret over whether plot details disagree between a huge blockbuster film and a minor novel.

Maybe they don't care about continuity as much as you think, or in the way you hope that they do.

Dismissing the old EU gave them a chance to create all new stories to sell. From a marketing standpoint, it frees them up to create all new games, comics, novels, guides, etc. Thinking it's purely to satisfy the canon-conscious fans is naive. They're not going to tie directors' hands by forcing them to create film plots that align with plot details from minor little novels or games.

They could have kept the EU and still been able to tell new stories, the Star Wars universe is vast enough as it is and has plenty of room to create whole new planets, civilizations and everything else that goes along with it.

The point is they have disbanded the EU because it contradicts with what they are now writing. For example, in the EU Han and Leia had twins, they are now gone, because that does not fit with their new stories, series of films, comics, novels etc...

I'm glad you're back Steven-- but the line about canon coming out of Disney is nothing but marketing. The idea that "these are canon!" has been said over and over, even under Lucas. People liked to swear up and down Lucas signed off on every book. But that isn't true and the PT proved it.

There are YEARS worth of posts in the archives of people insisting things had to happen a certain way in the PT because of something they read in a book. Even though continuity was rebooted, that doesn't make the rules any different.

I promise you, in no way shape or form do the filmmakers have to kowtow to what is done on TV or in print. The story group doesn't exist to tell filmmakers what they can and can't do, they exist to tell everyone else what they can't touch.

The whole reason the Eu was dropped was so it wouldn't be in the way o the movie. They aren't going to create the same problem again right away.

The ONLY thing Rian Johnson had to concern himself with was what happens in TFA.

The order or priority always goes where the money is.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.