CONFIRMED Star Wars Episode 7 news

Driver

I feel like I might be the only one who would even think of this (well, maybe Ryn)--the name Kylo Ren had a familiar ring to me, and after wracking my brain I figured out why. In the old Droids cartoon from the '80s, there was a character named Kybo Ren, a space pirate. I am sure there is no affiliation at all and that it is most likely a coincidence, but the familiar-ness of it still resonated with me.

For anyone interested:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Gir_Kybo_Ren-Cha

Outside of this similarity, it wouldn't be the first time that Lucasfilm has recycled names/concepts from the Droids cartoon into future films (the Boonta Classic, the moons of Bogden, Grievous' big wheel...).

These are some kick-ass names! Poe Dameron is an anagram of DOPE RAMONE. That sounds like my kinda guy right there.

Kylo Ren! Still no clue to who this guy is, but at least we know it's a HE now!

Finn on the run! He IS originally a stormtrooper. I had it wrong! (or did I?)

They didn't announce her last name and you can bet your ass it's for a reason. If she's not last name Solo (or Skywalker) I'll eat my hat.

I'll one-up you! I'll bet she is the daughter of Han & Leia but she pulls a Ben and changes her last name! And even though her identity's revealed we keep calling her by her assumed new name.

In fact, if it's not that I'll eat my shoe in a bowl of spaghetti!

I call it First Love Syndrome.

However you first experienced a now favored story became a baseline. All other iterations then are consciously and subconsciously scrutinized against the memory, however recent or distant, of your beloved. Your perception gives weight to any number of things for any number of reasons and these things however large or small may not translate in the new thing, inevitably you are left knowing it's not the same... no matter it's actual merit, technical or artistic.

It would make sense, because I became a Star Wars fan when the Thrawn Trilogy was being released, and I read Heir to the Empire immediately after seeing Jedi for the first time. Star Wars has been about books just as much as movies for as long as I've been a fan.

I feel like I might be the only one who would even think of this (well, maybe Ryn)--the name Kylo Ren had a familiar ring to me, and after wracking my brain I figured out why. In the old Droids cartoon from the '80s, there was a character named Kybo Ren, a space pirate. I am sure there is no affiliation at all and that it is most likely a coincidence, but the familiar-ness of it still resonated with me.

For anyone interested:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Gir_Kybo_Ren-Cha

Outside of this similarity, it wouldn't be the first time that Lucasfilm has recycled names/concepts from the Droids cartoon into future films (the Boonta Classic, the moons of Bogden, Grievous' big wheel...).

Yes! Dammit, That name was rolling around in my brain yesterday and I couldn't figure out why.

I call it First Love Syndrome.

However you first experienced a now favored story became a baseline. All other iterations then are consciously and subconsciously scrutinized against the memory, however recent or distant, of your beloved. Your perception gives weight to any number of things for any number of reasons and these things however large or small may not translate in the new thing, inevitably you are left knowing it's not the same... no matter it's actual merit, technical or artistic.

It would make sense, because I became a Star Wars fan when the Thrawn Trilogy was being released, and I read Heir to the Empire immediately after seeing Jedi for the first time. Star Wars has been about books just as much as movies for as long as I've been a fan.

Marvel Comics for me. For ever that was all we had.

It's been a long, long time since I posted at Nightly but when the retro card promos popped up on my facebook newsfeed I knew I had to return to join the speculation and excitement in the lead up to Episode 7! I bet its been said before but wow, doesn't Rey look just like Padme. I'm with Mara Jade if she's not a Skywalker or Solo I'll eat my desert protection head gear and goggles...as soon as I go and buy them for my next cos-play...

As for the neverending debate about the worth of the EU, I'm see it as a seperate entity, enjoyable in its own right. I'm old enough to have read Splinter of the Minds Eye on release and own first edition paperbacks of all the Original EU novels. But it wont bother if the EU is contradicted despite my enjoyment of the adventures of characters such as Mara Jade, Thrawn, the Skywalker Twins, Ben , Anakin Jnr, X-Wing pilots galore, the Witches of Dathomir (hence my name), The Jedi Academy gang, Yuuzhan Vong etc...

It will be hard to let go especially of Mara and Ben and Han and Leia's kids but in the end the movies have always been my first love and as long as there's continuity within the movie universe then I'm there on opening night.

Wow, hi, Djo! Long time, no see. I hope you stick around!

I just hope that they do pick and choose some things from the EU to keep for the movie universe. There are some good ideas from the books and comics (and even the video games) and it'd be a shame not to cherry pick them just because of the Legends status. Considering how many things have become canon in the new books and Rebels, though, I'm hopeful they will. It'd be nice if Mara is one of them, but, well. I'm being realistic while maintaining a tiny shred of hope. :p

Hi Mara! Glad to see some familiar faces around here :) I'd love to see the EU family on the big screen but I'm afraid we are going to have to see it the same way we have to see JJ's Trek re-boot. The new movies will be to the EU as the new Trek is to the original Trek -set in a alternate Universe. Maybe some minor characters EU will get a guernsey. Maybe Luke will never marry and Mara's presence will make it through from the alternate universe to boost his morale ;) Yes I've been watching too much Fringe and Doctor Who since I was here last...

Outside of characters, which if the storytelling is fine I can adapt pretty easily to whatever, I would like the galactic setting to remain the same. Tell different stories, fill it with different characters, I don't really care- but don't make me re-learn all the... stuff.

The problem with comparing all of this to the Star Trek reboot is that the latter was an in-universe reboot, meaning that the other timeline is acknowledged to have happened in the films.

So true but I was meaning that if it transpires that the EU is completely ignored, then those of us who have, as my daughters would say, "feels" for the characters from the EU, might have to console ourselves with that fantasy scenario.

Guest El Chalupacabra

Worth pointing out, Ren doesn't have a Darth honorific...

Neither did Count Dooku, until the Darth Tyranus "reveal" was leaked later on.

That said, I hope there is no Darth title for Kylo Ren.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.