CONFIRMED Star Wars Episode 7 news

Driver

They didn't announce her last name and you can bet your ass it's for a reason. If she's not last name Solo (or Skywalker) I'll eat my hat.

Better make it a hat that is deliberately edible. Make it out of lettuce or something. That way you'll be safe, because I'm confident you're wrong. :yes:

The point was to churn out books and make money.

Well, it worked, and it kept Star Wars alive for decades, allowing George Lucas--and now Disney--to produce more films as interest is still alive. You're welcome.

Without doubt... now just imagine where Star Wars would be if the Eu had been GOOD!!!

;)

Comments like this I find to be, quite frankly, moronic. Considering how much these boards hailed The Clone Wars, as well as the Tartakovsky series before it, while harping on the EU (nevermind the fact that both of these series were part of the EU at the time, and that the latter still is) tells me that the majority of you got a bad taste in your mouth based on a few books here and there. (Which is another point: when you hear "EU," so many of you just think of the novels. It is more than just that. It includes comic books, video games, and even television series, the majority of which were well received. Not to mention that you probably missed out on all the good novels in the glory years.)

It isn't hard to imagine where Star Wars would be if the EU was good, because that is exactly where we are now. Yes, this includes Disney's current trashing of the EU, on whose back all of this work was built.

I can appreciate the more intelligent comments, like those who have voiced their dislike for the EU but acknowledged its importance without trying to stereotype the whole thing based on what little they have been exposed to, but your comment is simply infantile.

Dude-- winkyface smilie. We've talked EU a million times, you know I respect the EU for what it's done despite not being a fan. You even said you got why I felt the way i did. WINKEY FACE SMILIE.

If she's a Kenobi I'll do something really mean. If anyone's going to be a Kenobi it's going to be Domhnall Gleeson (and I'm still holding out hope he's a Skywalker).

There is some alliteration Ren and Rey... kinda like Luke and Leia and Jacen and Jaina....

And if they call beach ball droid "baby" I'm burning down the internet.

Personally I don't think the EU had a big role in Star Wars popularity or keeping it relevant at all. I mean I've never read an EU book and I'm fairly certain Im not friends with anyone who has. I am certain thought that me and about 15 people from my dorm went to see The Phantom Menace at midnight. We didn't need the EU to keep out interest in Star Wars and I'd say that is true for the vast majority of people.

I think SW fans were keeping it alive. I know I certainly was in those lean years with the Star Wars RPG, the tech manuals-- I found whatever I could. The Zahn books were a huge deal to fans and that got the ball rolling. But it was the crazy cross-promotion of Shadows of the Empire that really got the non-fan public aware of Star Wars again. It was also the marketing blueprint for the Special Editions and the PT.

If Shadows hadn't reached the public at large, the SE may not have happened. And if the SE had not happened, or happened and bombed, the PT wouldn't have happened either.

It was just the books-- it was the video games and comics and licensed material that kept SW alive for 20 years before the SE.

Star Wars would have came back strong with or without the books. But the books started coming and so the credit goes to them. But regardless, we still would have gotten the prequels and now the sequels. Like shadowdog I bought every book in hardback when they first came out. I still have them...around 15 or so. But Tank is right as well....even the good ones aren't great.

You've made no friends, not even online considerations in your ten years here? ;-)

No, I haven't. I've never talked to anyone off this board and in all the years I've been here I've sent and received I'd say under 10 PMs on the site and most of them were due to the over sensitivity of a certain member.

Dude-- winkyface smilie. We've talked EU a million times, you know I respect the EU for what it's done despite not being a fan. You even said you got why I felt the way i did. WINKEY FACE SMILIE.

Wow, I . . . I seriously missed that winky face. I think because you put it underneath your sentence instead of at the end. Also, I tend to get people mixed up. Sorry, bro. :( (See? I put my smiley in the right spot!)

As for the other stuff above: I guess I just can't wrap my head around the idea of Star Wars without an EU because there isn't really much to be a fan of without it. Viewing the movies gets old (at least for me it does), but the EU keeps coming out with new and fresh things (or at least it did till Disney pulled the plug). I think of Star Wars not as a movie franchise but as this big, massive universe for everyone to play in (and for some people to do even better jobs than George Lucas did). It's almost as if Star Wars, to me, is the EU.

At least that's how I feel. Once again, sorry, Tank.

I actually agree with you. I think I may have gotten more enjoyment out of the EU over the years than the movies alone. The sprawling universe is what I really fell in love with. Don't get me wrong, the Star Wars movies were the thing for me as a kid. They shaped the makeup of my pop culture lexicon.

I'm not surprised. JJ has a pretty strong lockdown, a lot of the "spoilers" really came across as people just putting things together and guessing.

I always go back to a point I saw Mara retweet when the title was announced: They didn't register "The Force Awakens" until the day the title was released so as to avoid it being spoiled... does that sound like a production that's leaking like a sieve? I know one doesn't equal the other, but if my options are to believe that damn near everything about the movie has been spoiled over a year out, or the alternative, I'll go with the alternative.

I think Driver has it right.

Back to the EU point... it reminds me of a quote about golf:

"A bad day on the golf course is still beats a good day at the office."

That's how I felt about Expanded Universe. A bad Star Wars story still beats a story that's not about Star Wars. Being able to "hang out" with those characters and in those locations was what kept me coming back. That was really neat. There was some incredible stuff in the EU over the years, there was some not so incredible stuff, but I for the most part enjoyed it all. Not everyone feels the same way, and that's cool.

I don't know why I struggle with alternate forms of media. I'm obsessed with Mass Effect to the point it feels to me s an adult what Star Wars did as a kid. I've tried reading the comics and the novels-- some of which are written by the people who wrote the game-- and they still don't feel right.

I can't explain it.

I want to think her name isn't Kira, because maybe that kills all the rumors that go with said name.

...or they just changed it.

Y'know what would be awesome? We all show up on opening day and find out these "cards" are all LIES. We find out Ridley and Isaacs are Jacen and Jaina, the droid is actually C3PO's consciousness uploaded to a new host body, and the "Sith" is actually Cumberbatch as Khan. A++++++++++

I call it First Love Syndrome.

However you first experienced a now favored story became a baseline. All other iterations then are consciously and subconsciously scrutinized against the memory, however recent or distant, of your beloved. Your perception gives weight to any number of things for any number of reasons and these things however large or small may not translate in the new thing, inevitably you are left knowing it's not the same... no matter it's actual merit, technical or artistic.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.