CONFIRMED Star Wars Episode 7 news

Driver

You smuggle what either can't be obtained in legal ways or is too expensive to obtain in legal ways.

If someone wanted oranges but oranges were illegal in Lalaland then you could smuggle oranges into Lalaland for fun and profit.

I also made the Dune connection, but it's not explained so it could be anything, maybe it's the debut album for the Spice Girls. The Hutts wanna wanna really wanna zig-a-zig-ah.

Cigarettes are a drug, technically. It's only the life long association of being socially/legally acceptable which makes it odd to think of them as a drug.

I also associated the Death Sticks scene with cigarettes.

Back to smuggling for a parsec...

Let's say you're a teen which attends a live-in school; could be Catholic, Hogwarts, Military, whatever. Our bodies are our bodies and urges are urges. There is a market for nudie-books, it's not allowed by school charter of course. All of a sudden you could be a smuggler for this market. So maybe spice is a nudie-book brand name. This week in SPICE Ackmena on Ackbar.

Just has to be illegal or expensive to obtain and then there is a market. Look at Prohibition. If cigarettes were illegal tomorrow you'd have smugglers and dealers just like any other substance.

When my Pops was young and in the military overseas he realized there was a market for cigarettes because of their price in that locale. He could buy them from the commissary and then peddle them off base for a good profit. Of course this was frowned upon, punishable even, but the risk vs return was obviously favorable so there was a market.

You smuggle what either can't be obtained in legal ways or is too expensive to obtain in legal ways.

If someone wanted oranges but oranges were illegal in Lalaland then you could smuggle oranges into Lalaland for fun and profit.

Somewhere in Lucas' files, I'm sure there's an unused twelve-page from his original ANH script that was a conversation between Han and Ben Kenobi discussing the specifics of intergalactic commerce treaties, the Empire's complicated and Draconian tariff system, past attempts at legislative trade reform that stalled because of the Sith voting bloc, a history of failed embargoes by other neighboring star systems, and an intricate outlining of how all the various black-market export-trafficking families work with and around each other (y'know, like the New Day Co-Op in The Wire), all capped off with a six-minute monologue in which Han explains his daily procedures, back-channel dealings, Imperial watchdog bypassing methods, and the complicated formula that determines how he charges each client on the books using a benign cover business while taking a percentage under the table to be used for bribing politicians and paying his informants and lackeys and such.

...or "spice" could just be drugs.

• 3 weeks later...

Hate to be the guy linking to AICN but the link to the EW article on the site is broken and I'm too lazy to actually look it up. But thought this quote from Oscar Isaac was interesting:

…what they’re trying to do and what’s really great is J.J.’s been loosening it up a little bit and trying to make it alive and energized. It’s not formal. They’re messy, energized people. We’ve all intentionally tried to do that. Just make it a little more fiery and messy.

Also this about working with the original cast:

Have you had much interactions with the original trio of Carrie Fisher, Harrison Ford, and Mark Hamill on or off-screen?
Yeah, I have. Both. They’re such funny people. Carrie is hilarious and doing such cool work. Harrison is back. He went on hiatus for a little while, but he’s 150 percent back. It’s pretty amazing to see him bounce back. He looks incredible. Everyone’s having a really good time. J.J. sets that tone. There’s a lot of enthusiasm and it’s being done with a lot of heart. There’s nothing cynical about the way we’re doing this. Even in the way he’s shooting it—he’s shooting on film and actually building the sets, so you’ve got hundreds of Stormtroopers or whatever, and hundreds of extras and all the ships. You actually see it. It’s all real. Everyone can interact with the world.

• 3 weeks later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.