CONFIRMED Star Wars Episode 7 news

Driver

Making Star Wars has had a plot synopsis (can't say how detailed it is, haven't read it) for a few months at this point.

What a horribly designed website. No tags, no real navigation. I have to sift through 80 pages of posts to see a synopsis piece by piece? Jerks.

One part that interests me:

“[They] had just been hypothesizing and throwing out a bunch of what-ifs, but there was no story in place,” Abrams says. “It was, without doubt, a formidable assignment. There were so many options and so many paths that could be taken. Even when we were in debate — and sometimes it was frustrating and heated — it was always thrilling, because it seemed almost everywhere you looked there was something potentially extraordinary, which felt very much like the DNA of Star Wars itself.”​

I may be getting some details wrong since it was a while since I read it, but my understanding was that Lucas began developing and coming up with a treatment for the sequels before he sold them to Disney, and he was the one to initially get Ford, Fisher and Hamill on board. He confirmed recently in an interview they haven't used any of his material, but from the above it sounds like they almost chucked out Lucas' script immediately after they took possession of it. (Kennedy & Disney, not JJ). I'd be very interested to see what he wrote for it - not so much see it realised, but just what his plot for the story would of been and why they didn't use any of it. I still think he can write a great story, just can't execute it anymore.

Arndt's script (the idea of it anyway) was what really got me sold on the idea of it all. That was going to happen eventually, I'm sure, but that got the ball rolling for me.

Do I remember reading that the problem with his script was that it focused too much on the Big 3? And not enough in bringing in a new audience/characters? Entirely possible I'm making that up.

What's more-- Michael Arndt wrote an entire draft of the script before Abrams was signed. That's a pretty damning assessment of the script from JJs point of view.

I've read a lot of different reasons for why his script wasn't used, one of them was that he was always only hired to do a first run on the draft - but it sounds more and more like JJ weren't interested in the direction he was taking. I'm not familiar with the whole process, but do you think that his draft would of been his own material, or possibly a version of Lucas's story?

Also reading further into the article, I didn't know Lucas asked Kasdan to help write the prequels. (may have heard it before, but can't remember it). That's almost heartbreaking, maybe something truly great could come of the prequels. Or maybe we still could have been left with what we got, either way interesting to think what could of been.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.