CONFIRMED Star Wars Episode 7 news

Driver

It's funny, Luke was never really a Jedi he just wanted to become one and did some training. Then after confronting Vader, he proclaimed he was a Jedi. (Well, Yoda said after he did that he'd be a Jedi anyway.)

In desperate times! like the extinction of your Order, you just say f-it let's bend the rules so we can survive. So I could see Adam Driver just being really optimistic and being like 'That's right! I'm a Sith now. I'm bringing it back!' And that's probably why he looks for Andy Serkis' character. Probably Serkis calls on HIM, like 'Driver, buddy, look, I really wanna bring back the Sith but we need TWO!' Maybe Von Sydow's character is intrigued by this too and wants to get in on it and they got a weird love triangle going on.

VERY IMPORTANT: THE REASON I say this here and not in the Unconfirmed News is BECAUSE I find it very important to point out:

-It's NOT confirmed that cross-saber guy is Adam Driver, or that he even is a sith despite the red saber (ya never know.)

-It's NOT even confirmed Serkis is a villain, nor Max Von Sydow. Or that any of these guys are even cyborgs despite that concept art.

and no, despite what all the internet is saying (even the most elite, reputable media) ...

-it is NOT confirmed Boyega even is a stormtrooper, let alone a stormtrooper that changed sides and yadayadayada.

Let's keep this in perspective!

I feel like the new movie is in very capable hands with JJ, but I still have this underlying fear after seeing the trailer that the reason the Empire is still in full swing is because JJ is going to start the movie with Luke ACCEPTING Darth Vader's invitation to join the Dark Side in Cloud City and rule the galaxy as father and son thereby creating an alternate timeline. :yes:

Yes, we have. Ignoring the EU, if you want to look at the new canon bull****, you need look to further than The Clone Wars, where there are lots of non-Sith dark siders (Ventress, the Witches of Dathomir, etc). Plus, there's the Inquisitor in Rebels. None of these are Sith, yet they follow the dark side.

I stand corrected.

I haven't watched much of the cartoons, so I was unaware.

Guest El Chalupacabra

Red lightsaber, black clothes. What are the chances that iconography is flipped?

Well, there was that half-hearted attempt in ROTJ to make people wonder about Luke by putting him in black clothes, and give him a green saber, something that hadn't been seen before. It's old hat now, but at the time, it was supposed to make us wonder if Luke was treading close to the dark side.

Yes, we have. Ignoring the EU, if you want to look at the new canon bull****, you need look to further than The Clone Wars, where there are lots of non-Sith dark siders (Ventress, the Witches of Dathomir, etc). Plus, there's the Inquisitor in Rebels. None of these are Sith, yet they follow the dark side.

Very true. This is literally an extension of the "what's the difference between a dark jedi and a Sith" debate.

I don't think anyone doubts the dark figure with a red cross lightsaber is the, or one of, the bad guys. But he could be a fallen Jedi, a Sith, and honestly we can't tell if it is male or female, so it could even be a Dathomirian witch. Or some completely new dark side user we don't know about.

That wasn't why Luke was in black. Luke's look was what was developed to be Jedi garb. That changed with the PT when George either forgot or changed his mind and had the Jedi all wear the clothing of Tatooine peasants.

This is true. There is a flashback scene in one of the old Marvel comics to Obi-Wan during the Clone Wars, and he is wearing tight-fitting, all-black outfit similar to Luke's.

Also, I heard somewhere that Luke's Jedi uniform was inspired by the outfit of a priest.

What Torch says is true-- I had hoped that as the Clone Wars started the Jedi would shift from the brown and white robes to the black jumpsuit.

Ultimately I'm okay with it though because it fits my narrow head canon that Luke basically does everything his own way. The old Jedi order failed-- Luke's way, which is more grey then light and dark is unique.

That wasn't why Luke was in black. Luke's look was what was developed to be Jedi garb. That changed with the PT when George either forgot or changed his mind and had the Jedi all wear the clothing of Tatooine peasants.

No no what Chalupa said is right. Yoda wasn't wearing that in the OT, nor was Obi-wan. They were both dressed like proper Jedis.

The black robes and green saber in ROTJ is supposed to be old Lukey-boy tryna say: "I've come face-to-face with the dark side. Father, I've lost my innocence!"

Wait? So Uncle Owen WAS NOT a Jedi? :angel:

The whole point of the EU is fanboys filling in the blanks themselves. IT DOESN'T COUNT

"Fanboys" including the ones all the way at the top in Lucas Film. It sure did count, quite a bit, until just lately. And you're wrong: the point was to continue to tell good stories within the Star Wars universe. It is what kept interest in Star Wars alive.

No no what Chalupa said is right. Yoda wasn't wearing that in the OT, nor was Obi-wan. They were both dressed like proper Jedis.

The black robes and green saber in ROTJ is supposed to be old Lukey-boy tryna say: "I've come face-to-face with the dark side. Father, I've lost my innocence!"

OT Yoda wore a rag cloak over a brown version of Luke's black, high collar Jedi garb.

OT Obi wore the robes of Tatooine peasants, but if you look closer he also has on a brown high collar tunic and pants like Yoda and Luke.

Both of these costumes can be seen with a bit of attention while watching the films, but it is also displayed in their collector's edition 1/6 scale action figures.

Back when these movies were made George had not cemented concepts that became the prequels. This was never more apparent to us fans who lived thru those years and experienced George's waffling in interviews. Whether due to time, money, wanning interest or any combination of that George started condensing and copy/pasting his various ideas onto other parts of his story. This is likely how Leia becomes a Skywalker and when Ghost of Anakin is concieved they have him just mimicking Obi-Wan's entire costume. However this is not to say a story evolving during writing / production is out of the ordinary, it happens with regularity, it's part of the process. Where George is different than others is that he was able to go back and continuely play with the films.

I guess I had always thought that the robes were basically either their garb for meditation or essentially a dress uniform and that they wore somethign more suitable when out taking care of situations that might require more physical action. This was probably brought on by the EU, where the Jedi characters tended to refer to both jumpsuits and robes and tunics, depending on where they were.

I guess I had always thought that the robes were basically either their garb for meditation or essentially a dress uniform and that they wore somethign more suitable when out taking care of situations that might require more physical action. This was probably brought on by the EU, where the Jedi characters tended to refer to both jumpsuits and robes and tunics, depending on where they were.

This is what I thought for many years. The brown and white was the standard Jedi robes, but the back jumpsuit was for going into action.

Yeah, fighting in Jedi robes is utterly ridiculous. I've never worn one personally, but I know people who have and have looked up the requirements for Rebel Legion cosplay, and it's a heck of a lot of clothing. Inner tunic and outer tunic and tabard and obi and belt. And then there's the cloak! (Not to mention the boots. I have a pair of tall equestrian boots which could also be used for Jedi cosplay, and they are NOT comfortable to run and jump around in.)

Of course, the EU never used robes at all until after The Phantom Menace came out, when the EU Jedi became carbon copies of the prequels.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.