CONFIRMED Star Wars Episode 7 news

Driver

He suggests it's not three emitters and three beams, it's one beam that splits/vents out at the t-junction. The hiltcasings exist purely to protect the users hands from the venting. This would solve the problem of just slicing down thru the hilt, because the attacking blade would lock with the venting even when it sliced thru the casing. Of course doing so immediately exposes the user to the heat/energy of the t-junction venting, so I guess really it's still dumb. Probably better to just say they made it to sell toys and then just stomach it.

Obviously a bit late to the party here, but I loved pretty much everything about the teaser.

• John Boyega popping up in the desert is as clear an indication as any that this is a "new" kind of Star Wars. Not only in having a minority be the one of the new faces of the franchise, but by employing some new kinds of cinematography to introduce him.
  • I could give or take the ball droid. It's a little on the silly side, but it's not like you're going to get Jar Jar levels of ridiculousness from a non-verbal droid.
  • The stormtrooper shot is probably the most dynamic and promising of the whole trailer, that just looks fantastically real and gritty, and not in an over the top Nolanesque way either. Love the new design too, it looks like the Empire hired Jony Ive.
  • Not a lot to see or take away from the shot of Daisy Ridley, but I do love how her outfit is really reminiscent of the early McQuarrie concepts of Luke. Her speeder also looks fine, I don't see anything at all wrong with it, especially given that her character is pretty obviously a kind of loner and scavenger.
  • The X-Wing shot also is just jaw-dropping. It's the first time in decades that Star Wars looks "real," even though it's a CG effect. The water coming off of the lake and the clouds floating behind them just make that shot. The camera is also a little shaky, giving it far less of that "too clean" look of the prequels.
  • The Sith wannabe looks great, I also love how the camera kind of pans downward as he walks into the forest. His lightsaber also looks cool, and I take Colbert's stance on how it works. Also, if the rumors are true about that hooded figure, I don't think those with their panties wadded should worry too much about that particular saber.
  • The Falcon shot wowed me the first few times, but after seeing it a bit more I'm a little more toned down on it. It doesn't really have the same gritty and real feel of the X-Wing shot, and feels a little too CG. I'm hoping that's because it's early and not entirely finished, but it feels a little too clean and reminiscent of the Prequels to me. Also, my guess is that John Boyega is piloting one of those TIE fighters right before he gets shot down. Also, if you look at the last few frames before it cuts to black, I'm pretty sure you can see the little shantyville that Daisy Ridley is speeding to in her shot.

Also, I think the content of this trailer is a big middle finger from Abrams to those leaking information and those of us consuming it. I feel like he's basically saying "fine, you can have it, but you aren't getting anything new out of me."

I think it's probably more because of the clone troopers and no explanation of when they stopped. At least not as far as the big screen is concerned.

Red lightsaber, black clothes. What are the chances that iconography is flipped?

That doesn't mean anything. It just indicates that this character follows the dark side of the Force. That does not automatically equal Sith. The Sith are an order, which ended with Sidious and Vader.

Granted, this new dark sider may be someone who calls himself a Sith, like he's building a new Sith order or something.

Yes, we have. Ignoring the EU, if you want to look at the new canon bull****, you need look to further than The Clone Wars, where there are lots of non-Sith dark siders (Ventress, the Witches of Dathomir, etc). Plus, there's the Inquisitor in Rebels. None of these are Sith, yet they follow the dark side.

If one more person points out that "they aren't going to expect the audience to be paying attention to anything other than the films," I'm going to go crazy. No **** they aren't.

But the reality is they have gone out of their way to set up what is "canon" and what isn't as far as material outside of the movies go, and there are still things that exist as canon (The Clone Wars, Rebels). I doubt there are going to be glaring inconsistencies. This is not the same thing as the witches of Dantooine or whatever-the-hell being mentioned and expecting everyone to have seen that particular arc from whatever it's from.

None of these are Sith, yet they follow the dark side.

Who says? What's the difference between following the dark side and being a sith in the current SW universe? What even is a Sith? Is that ever even expounded upon in the PT (I am yet to start my rewatch of that mess). Driver summed it up aptly. red/black = bad. Anything more than that is extraneous.

As I said before, the Sith are an actual order, like the Jedi. This much can be deduced from the films themselves: the Rule of Two, the adoption of a Darth title. All of these things indicate some sort of ritualistic tradition, or tenets of faith.

Also, I am an Old Canonist, but for the sake of this conversation, I am only using examples from the Diseny canon.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.