CONFIRMED Star Wars Episode 7 news

Driver

Thought the trailer was pretty good. Liked, but didn't love it. Very hard to gather much about how the film will be, however, just from a clip like this.

Some thoughts I had:

-The opening, I thought, was a little weak. The narration on a desolate desert with the sudden popping up of the un-helmeted stormtrooper.. I dunno, just felt a little fan-filmy/almost like a parody film. Didn't really have a grandiose, "this is an introduction to an epic space opera" feel. Compare, for example, to the Episode III trailer, which I liked a lot. Then again, I thought about it a little more since first watching, and I'm wondering how much of this is a result of having my expectations adjusted by modern trailer-making. You go back to the Original Trilogy trailers and you have some of the same elements- narration, kinda cheesy and amateur-ish looking, random disjointed action sequences, little (to no) dialogue and so on. Another thing is- this is only a teaser; obviously it's going to lack a bit of the "mini-movie" feel of some modern trailers.

-Indifferent toward the light saber and the ball droid. Too early to tell if these are just going to be minor gimmicks or have major parts in the story, and even if they do, too early to tell if it'll work or not.

-No feeling on the speeder. Sure it might be impractical, but so were at least half the vehicles from the Original Trilogy. The walkers especially, I mean those sure as sh-t don't have any practical value beyond "looking cool."

-X-Wing and Millennium Falcon shots were cool. Tank, good point on the cinematography though. It is very different, but I actually didn't even think about it until you mentioned it. I also wonder if that'll end up making the film feel "unlike" Star Wars, or perhaps it'll work well, who knows.

-The shot of the Stormtroopers felt un-Star Wars like, but then again, way too early to tell if it'll work or not.

To be honest I was expecting much less from the teaser in terms of content. I thought it might be a bit of the force theme, and a shot of the millennium falcon then fade to black or something. I hope they don't give too much away when the full trailer is released. Too many films do that these days I reckon.

Upon 1112th viewing I've come to think the accusation "fanfilm-y" has a lot of merit. The teaser has no outer space and no aliens - both necessary Star Wars elements and both the sort of thing a lot of fanfilms usually ditch or, at best, offer to the viewer unconvincingly. I obviously assume there's going to be outer space and aliens in the movie and, presumably, in teasers and trailers to come otherwise I AM GOING TO FREAK THE fuck OUT

also is John Boyega a stormtrooper (conscript? undercover rebel operative? maybe this time the Empire is the good guys?) or is this a Luke-and-Han-in-ANH situation

also also is that literally R2 in a new body (or, wait, what if the soccerball body is a portable version that rolls out of his real body like the Borg Sphere out of the Borg Cube) or not even an astromech unit at all and the similarity is coincidental

So who controls the Star Wars visual dictionary now? Because that might answer the question. If not under Lucas rule, I wouldn't be surprised to see them acquiesce.

I think they killed that line after the ROTS one came out early and pretty much spoiled everything. I alwys liked the one from TPM tht showed us a totally different actor that originally was intended to play Bail Organa.

Colbert has a good idea, and he may even be right. I still say that the hilt would make it dangerous to the wielder, though. Sure, you can use it to jab your opponent, but your opponent can do the same to you with your own weapon!

Granted, a new movie needs a new weapon, and there's only so many variations of a lightsaber that are possible. ROTJ gave us the green 'saber, then the PT gave us a the double-bladed lightsaber, and the curved hilt 'saber, and the purple 'saber...now we have a crossguarded lightsaber (lightsword?).

The whole thing is growing on me. I must be mellowing with age.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.