CONFIRMED Star Wars Episode 7 news

Driver

Immediate reaction was: "I don't really like this." But it took about 5 minutes or so for me to be fine with it.

All the titles are ridiculous, so it's par for the course. I remember when Attack of the Clones was announced, it was 10 times more backlash than this. lol

They are what they are, and in the context of the story, I'm sure it make sense.

The Force Awakens really sounds like it would be more at home as a book title instead, though.

The recent Rebels book was called 'A New Dawn' which I think would have been a way better title, but I can see that it would be too close to "A New Hope" for comfort.

As far as not having episode 7 in the official title? I like it. Back before TPM was announced i always figured that once the title was announced that it would take precedence over the number. I was kinda disappointed when it didn't.

I felt the same ay about TPM. I was really hoping it would just be referred to as TPM, just like ESB and ROTJ. It seemed like it was likely the merchandising machine that led to the forcing of Episode I into continued use since it was hyped as that for so long. I then just annoyingly stuck around with AOTC and ROTS, too.

Well, at least it's got an acronym that isn't duplicated within the series.

True, this is what's really important.

I like it. Gives a sense of mystery. Why does the force awaken? Is this a natural occurrence - the 'will of the force' doing its thing or is someone manipulating the force for dark reasons?

This. Narratively, there's a lot that could be going on with this title other than HARHAR THE ALARM CLOCK WENT OFF. The hyper-creative internet comedians seem to be missing that, instead opting for the (very) low hanging fruit.

Again, it's not a great title by itself. But don't be dumping over TFA (hmm....) without also knocking some of the other SW titles.

TFA is okay- not great. mostly it is just "meh" when we all really wanted "woo!".

I don't know why anyone had any expectations:

1) No Star Wars movie has a good title. Including the name "Star Wars."

2) 99.99% of movie titles are pretty crappy.

The force awakens. Is that to mean that it was sleeping for thirty years? If so, that makes the whole "Luke hiding from himself" theory all the more plausible. Or it could be JJ's way off announcing to the fans that star wars is back.

Either way I'm starting to like the title; it's better than two out of the last three, and probably better than what Lucas could have hatched. he would have come up with a title like "The Midichloreans Attack" or some shit.

I don't want Luke to do ANYTHING like the old Jedi Order. It's important to realize that Luke was not raised as a Jedi, so he wouldn't be like Yoda or Obi-Wan. I don't think he was aloof at the Celebration, either; he came back, hugged Leia, Han, and Wedge, then went to look at some Force Ghosts. And then he came back and they had their family portrait and laughed.

I also hate the idea of Luke not training ANYBODY in the 30 years that have gone by, because duh, "pass on what you have learned."

Sigh, at least I'll have fanfiction if these stupid rumors turn out to be true.

It's funny, because all the "explanations" I've heard about why Luke would not be training Jedi, would be a hermit, etc. are all things that were done in the EU. And the whole point of ditching the EU was to do something DIFFERENT.

When was Luke a non-training hermit in the EU? Maybe he didn't train anyone in the early days, but that was just because it simply hadn't happened yet. I don't remember him ever living as a hermit, though. If they want to do something different, the hermit thing would be drastically different from the Grand Master Luke of the EU.

Was he hiding out in the desert like Obi-Wan? No. But he had those tendencies at some point or another.

He was hesitant of his power in Shadows of Mindor.

He was hesitant to train Leia in Heir to the Empire.

He was bordering on hermit in the later half of the Bantam years (until Mara knocked some sense into him).

He didn't want to fight a war in the beginning of the New Jedi Order.

He killed Lumiya after Mara died and almost went batshit after that (and the reason Jaina killed Jacen instead of Luke was because he was afraid of his power).

He went into exile in FotJ.

Let's not forget that him being a hermit would be basically repeating Obi-Wan but for no good reason. Obi-Wan and Yoda weren't hermits because they wanted to, they were hermits because they had to be.

I guess I'm the only person who doesn't abide by the "anything is okay as long as it's done well" idea. Which is odd, considering I'm the one who reads/writes fanfic. Or maybe it's not odd, because there are certain things (like Luke as a male stripper) that would be super fun to read (if done well), but for the actually canon story? No thank you.

Any story can be well written. That still doesn't make it good.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.