CONFIRMED Star Wars Episode 7 news

Driver

Hope they have actors in it.

I'm convinced this movie is going to suck. I just don't have faith they'll have the time required to put into it since Disney will demand they stay on schedule for that Dec '15 release.

I mean I'll still go see it, but I'm not optimistic.

Ok. It's been a while since I last came here. But now since Principal Photography starts for E VII, I've been reminiscing about the fun I had in these forums for AOTC and ROTS. Greetings everyone. And to quote Anakin "This is where the fun begins".

Hope they have actors in it.

I'm convinced this movie is going to suck. I just don't have faith they'll have the time required to put into it since Disney will demand they stay on schedule for that Dec '15 release.

I mean I'll still go see it, but I'm not optimistic.

I was wondering if people were worried that there was such a "quick" production turnaround. I think we all questioned if Lucas really needed the years to do each movie. But the fact that we have so little news and only one confirmed actor makes most nervous. But hey, most movies have quick production times so..........

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

OFFICIALLY OFFICIAL!

At wondercon this weekend, whilst covering for a scandalized Bryan Singer at the X-Men/Fox panel, Simon Kinberg, part of the Star Wars brain trust, admits that they have considered the EU in no way in writing the new Star Wars films.

Maybe not wholly different, but that's not exactly what was said...

You know, it's not off-limits, and it's certainly inspiring — I'm working on an animated show for [Lucasfilm] as well, Star Wars: Rebels, that will take inspiration from everywhere, but — I know for the movies, the canon is the canon, and the canon is the six films that exist.

I'm definitely not allowed to talk about the content of the Star Wars stuff. I can say that I'm a ridiculously huge fan, I love Boba Fett and I love, obviously, all of the characters in that world. For me — and I know it was true for J.J [Abrams], and Larry Kasdan and Kathy Kennedy and Michael Arndt — it was all about honoring the original movies, and yet wanting to take a step forward, too, and tell a new story.

I think I'm paraphrasing accurately :)

You might well be correct, but I don't think that's an accurate paraphrase :D

I enjoy when Dex has an opinion just for the sake of having an opinion even though it has no basis in anything grounded in reality. There are a million and one reasons to laugh off the EU, the character of Mara Jade isn't one of them.

I don't think anyone has argued that they need to keep the EU in it's entirety. I haven't kept up, so I could be wrong. But it's silly, if Luke has a significant other, for her not to be Mara Jade. It alienates a pretty large group of people right off the bat (not that it matters because they'll see the movie anyway) and doesn't harm noted-EU-haters like Dex in any way. She doesn't have to be written the exact same way (though it would be nice if she became the first dynamic female character in the SW universe) or have the exact same backstory, but there's no reason there can't at least be a tip of the cap to the large group of people the Star Wars machine has catered to for the better part of 30 years.

Yeah, it's kind of a jerk move to hope for great numbers of fans to have the things they like torn to pieces just because you don't like it. Especially when you know next to nothing about it, as it sounds like ShadowDog doesn't. Mara was a great character, well beloved by thousands.

But I'm finally okay with another continuity surfacing. I figure it can be reconciled in-universe as well with some sort of timeline shift a la Star Trek. Although it sucks that Star Trek did it first, and for that reason many people will accuse EU authors of being copycats, but what else can you do?

I take his comments to mean more "we're not tied to the EU, but who knows?" Similar to Lucas and the prequels. I mean, really, what he did there undid half of what was in the EU at the time, but he still threw a couple bones.

Not really. The changes he introduced didn't really have very severe repercussions, and they were easily retconned, producing some very fine stories as a result.

[edit] Well, I guess Boba Fett's story was kind of majorly altered, but that's about it, really. All that stuff about the Sith and the Republic was very easily reconciled.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.