Game of Thrones season 4

Darth Krawlie

but no way in hell can they let him kill Oberyn.

I laughed so hard when I first saw you post this. I've been waiting for this episode just to see your reaction.

This is the fourth season of this show, you should know by now that NO ONE is off limits!

But no way in hell can they kill Tyrion, right? RIGHT?!

Oberyn (my favorite character this season).

Only season. :shrug:

Amazing, amazing fight. I'm still shaking.

But this episode's standout is without question Sansa. Holy shit, is she learning this Game.

Hahahahhaha thanks Cerina! That makes me so happy. Really, made me laugh so much.

I have grieved and am ready to continue the saga in reality however. I really hope Tyrion can live. I mean REALLY.

Had dinner with some more friends who only watch the show. Listening to them painfully recap this week's episode filled me with so much glee.

Given that The Mountain was at least as "obscure" as Oberyn, and Tyrion at least seems to be really important, I think I would have expected Oberyn to prevail as well. When I read the book there wasn't nearly as much time to process as in the show. I assumed Tyrion would get out of his predicament somehow, and Oberyn seemed as good a device for that to happen as any, but alas. But yeah, I don't remember being quite as shocked as some of my show-watching friends were this week.

Guest El Chalupacabra

I mean, if they kill off Tyrian the show is gonna take a hit. He has the best dialogue in the whole programme..

As far as Tyrion is concerned, he steals every scene! But he will get out of the predicament he is in....it's all in the "HOW."

I mean, if they kill off Tyrian the show is gonna take a hit. He has the best dialogue in the whole programme..

Nah, anybody still watching this show after all the previous BS deaths are probably staying with it for the duration by this point.

A more interesting question is that the way TV actor contracts are structured, whoever is left from season one is due for a huge pay raise after season 5. Which is a big reason TV series start ending once you get to season 5 and beyond. Popular series get one actor contract renewal which takes a show up to season 7 or 8, but after that its done.

This begs the question of how many books will actually get covered before the show gets axed for money reasons.

Books play by different rules but you can't repeatedly ask TV audiences to invest time and energy into characters who then get killed off before their story plays out and their backstory is fully explored. You can't repeatedly do that on TV and hold an audience. You just can't do it. GOT only gets away with it because it started this with millions of book fans.

And yes I know TV shows kill off characters all the time. To explain exactly what I mean would require spitting a long assed thesis nobody has time to read. Just take my word for it, to your average TV audience who hasn't read the books, a lot of the deaths were BS.

As far as catching up to the books, I had no idea the series was moving along at a pace good enough to catch up to them that fast. That's good news. The fans of the books deserve seeing it all make it on film.

Lol, the deaths were "BS". What does that even mean? Seriously? The deaths aren't there for shock value, none of them are. The thing about the deaths is what they lead to, the situations they create going forward.

The story is about a massive continent wide war. People are going to die. It would be stupid otherwise.

The "built in fanbase" is a fraction of the viewership of the show. A Song of Ice and Fire overall has sold about 15 million books worldwide. There have been 5 books, so that comes out to about 3 million a book, world wide. The show is averaging 18 million viewers this season in the US. So even if we assume that those 3 million books sold are all in the US, that comes out to about 1/6th of the viewers having been readers. Then factor in all the people who watch the show illegally and it's far less than 1/6th. Then factor in the people who didn't read until starting to watch the show (who wouldn't be "built in") and its even less. My guess would be at most 10% of viewers have read the books. If anything that is probably high.

The reason that other shows that tried to "pull this shit" failed isn't because of a built in fanbase. It's because those shows weren't as good. It's that simple.

worst episode of the season so far, but i'm not necessarily saying it was bad. snow is a bad ass. nice to see a healthy dose of samwell, i like him quite a bit. big heart. a kind man. about the only person like that in the GoT realm.

this definitely sets up what is sure to be an epic finale.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.