Game of Thrones season 4

Darth Krawlie

Maybe it’s just because I still (always) see the actor as the poor man’s Gary Oldman, but I’ve never been convinced that the character is that much smarter than everybody else.

That's exactly how he works. None of the characters are really convinced of that, either.

Didn't get to watch this last night, we'll be watching it tomorrow. From the recaps I've read, I'm still gonna be missing Stannis/Davos/Melisandre and Theon/Ramsey/Roose a lot. And Yara Greyjoy should be showing up at some point soon, right?

Very much a setup episode. Pretty good though.

To be fair every game of thrones ep is a setup episode. It's a constant build up cocktease. Not that I'm complaining, but every episode is like a simmering pot that wants to boil but it never does.

I enjoyed this episode though, especially Johns 1 on 1 battle with that slippery ****er at Crasters keep.

I have this theory that the only truly trustworthy (non-Stark) person in this world is Varys. I know in the books and on the show everybody is always talking about how they can't trust him, but I don't recall him actually doing anything backhanded. But I'm only about 2/3 of the way through A Clash of Kings....so....

I think we've known who Varys serves from (almost) the get-go:

Ned Stark: Tell me something, Varys. Who do you truly serve?

Varys: The realm, my lord. Someone must.

And by extension that makes him "trustworthy" (all the good that does in Westeros, of course).

My heart broke a little at the look on Hodor’s face when he sees Locke’s body and realizes he killed him. I understand that it was necessary to escape and all, but I think it brings up an interesting ethical question, even in the GoT world. I was already a little uncomfortable with Bran possessing Summer; at what point did it become okay for Bran to take the freewill of Hodor—a simpleton who clearly loves and trusts him—and force his body to do things it never would otherwise?

This, too, was my takeaway. I was a little surprised the Locke intrigue wrapped up so quickly but the way it sets in motion some development for a seemingly benign character as Hodor, I'm very interested.

I think we've known who Varys serves from (almost) the get-go:

Ned Stark: Tell me something, Varys. Who do you truly serve?

Varys: The realm, my lord. Someone must.

And by extension that makes him "trustworthy" (all the good that does in Westeros, of course).

He is just serving who he thinks would be best for the realm, doesn't mean that is in fact best for the realm.

I’m a little intrigued by Cersei’s conversation with Oberyn. Sending your daughter an “I miss you” ship is all well and good, but there’s got to be more to it than that. I almost feel like she’s trying to make Oberyn curious about her… Also, what was with her speech to her father about understanding it’s all for the good of the family? Did Joffrey’s death really change her that much? Is she really finished with Jaime? Is she just scared that her father will turn on her, too, after seeing him give up on Jaime? Or, because of that, is she now realizing that Casterly Rock could potentially be hers? I’m actually interested in what Cersei is doing for the first time in a long time.

My heart broke a little at the look on Hodor’s face when he sees Locke’s body and realizes he killed him. I understand that it was necessary to escape and all, but I think it brings up an interesting ethical question, even in the GoT world. I was already a little uncomfortable with Bran possessing Summer; at what point did it become okay for Bran to take the freewill of Hodor—a simpleton who clearly loves and trusts him—and force his body to do things it never would otherwise?

Lady Lysa. So crazy. How long before Sansa heads back to King’s Landing voluntarily? Also from the Vale storyline, I don’t know how I feel about Littlefinger being the catalyst that set everything in motion. Maybe it’s just because I still (always) see the actor as the poor man’s Gary Oldman, but I’ve never been convinced that the character is that much smarter than everybody else.

Jon being reunited with Snow. So many good feels. So rare at the end of a GoT episode.

Who are the 3 judges in Tyrions trial?

Oberyn, Tywin and Mace Tyrell. Cersei just buttered up Oberyn and Tywin and by herself bringing up Maergary marrying Tommen she is buttering up Mace and the Tyrells.

Also, Littlefinger may not be smarter than everyone else. He is pulling alot of strings now but that doesn't mean it will work out for him in the end.

Jon's direwolf is named ghost.

Oh Jesus what an incredible episode. Ramsay giving Theon a bath and ****ing with him some more. Asha/Yara finally shows up. Davos with a great speech at the bank. The Titan of Braavos. Varys eyeing the throne. Dragon.

And seriously, Tyrion's trial was just perfect.

I knew we were in for something special when the musical cue didn't land on the Wall.

"Done." I don't think I've ever shit my pants and leapt from the couch in anticipation since the Red Wedding. I revile how much of a shitheel parent Tywin is, but he is one who sees all the angles, all the outcomes.

And, holy fuck, how that left off.

DRAGON

This show is going to be the death of me. Do they sit around the writers table and go "what's the most inconvenient bit of dialogue to end this episode on?" Holy crap!

Am I the only one disapponted they didn't show Reek's penile stub?

Hahaha we were looking for that too. They mentioned it when Yara read the letter from Ramsay and made a big deal of Theon taking off his pants and Ramsay looking down smiling, so I really expected them to show it.

Reese, you need to keep on reading if you think it's the showing hanging off these cliffs. Nearly every chapter in the books ends that way too!

So Balon Greyjoy's gotta die at some point soon, right? Maybe Yara heads back to Pyke and he dies then. I assume the kingsmoot will be a storyline for next season. And is Stannis and his army even going to show up at the Wall this year? I'm starting to think the Tormund/Ygritte/Styr attack is the climax of the Wall storyline this year.

I'm pretty lukewarm on everything Stannis right now, but Oh. My. LORD. That whole final scene... Peter Dinklage for president, please. And Oberyn is quickly becoming one of my favorite characters. Guy is hysterical.

Let's not pretend that anything else that happened this episode matters at all.

Guest El Chalupacabra

What I want to know is when is Jaime going to get Merle's prosthetic spike for that stump?

WOW. That was a killer episode. Tyrian is the business. And yeah Oberyn is a fantastic character. ****ing Shae though, I hope she gets it in the neck.

Word. What a vicious bitch. I get that she's pissed at Tyrion, but balls-out dragging Sansa down, too? So much for loving that girl.

So Balon Greyjoy's gotta die at some point soon, right? Maybe Yara heads back to Pyke and he dies then. I assume the kingsmoot will be a storyline for next season. And is Stannis and his army even going to show up at the Wall this year? I'm starting to think the Tormund/Ygritte/Styr attack is the climax of the Wall storyline this year.

Damnit, Reese.

don't even know anymore. Balon dies way before Joffrey in the books, right? I think you're right about Yara heading back to Pyke now though. The Kingsmoot seems like it could kick off next season, similar to the beginning of the Mereen storyline this year. If the Wall takes up the entirety of episode 9, I'm betting they save Jon's election to LC until the start of season 5, too.

I think they combined the two Wildling attacks because they wanted to save Ygritte's death for close to the end of the season as opposed to in the first couple episodes like I thought it would be. I was almost sure I read something about the big attack on the wall being episode 9 this year, because they got the increased budget and treated it basically like they treated Blackwater in S2. Plus in a few of the teasers we saw (almost assuredly) Stannis' army breaking the Wildling lines.

WOW. That was a killer episode. Tyrian is the business. And yeah Oberyn is a fantastic character. ****ing Shae though, I hope she gets it in the neck.

Word. What a vicious bitch. I get that she's pissed at Tyrion, but balls-out dragging Sansa down, too? So much for loving that girl.

You have to remember that Shae thinks Tyrion used Varys to get her out of King's Landing, that he was done with her and she was "just another whore." She's really been hurt by Tyrion and wants to hurt him back. Also there's the fact that she probably didn't have much choice in the matter of whether she was going to testify or not. Tywin's men seized her on the ship in the harbor so it's not like she could have run away after they asked.

I mean, don't get me wrong, Tyrion did his best to say "YOU ARE IN DANGER HERE. YOU HAVE TO LEAVE," 5 or 10 times, but it apparently didn't register for Shae.

Damnit, Reese.

don't even know anymore. Balon dies way before Joffrey in the books, right? I think you're right about Yara heading back to Pyke now though. The Kingsmoot seems like it could kick off next season, similar to the beginning of the Mereen storyline this year. If the Wall takes up the entirety of episode 9, I'm betting they save Jon's election to LC until the start of season 5, too.

I think they combined the two Wildling attacks because they wanted to save Ygritte's death for close to the end of the season as opposed to in the first couple episodes like I thought it would be. I was almost sure I read something about the big attack on the wall being episode 9 this year, because they got the increased budget and treated it basically like they treated Blackwater in S2. Plus in a few of the teasers we saw (almost assuredly) Stannis' army breaking the Wildling lines.

I just spit my sandwich on my monitor.

You have to remember that Shae thinks Tyrion used Varys to get her out of King's Landing, that he was done with her and she was "just another whore." She's really been hurt by Tyrion and wants to hurt him back. Also there's the fact that she probably didn't have much choice in the matter of whether she was going to testify or not. Tywin's men seized her on the ship in the harbor so it's not like she could have run away after they asked.

I mean, don't get me wrong, Tyrion did his best to say "YOU ARE IN DANGER HERE. YOU HAVE TO LEAVE," 5 or 10 times, but it apparently didn't register for Shae.

If Shae was stupid and jealous enough to actually think Tyrion wasn't trying to get her to leave for her own safety.......

I hope she dies.

Though yeah, I'm aware she probably had little choice in the testifying thing.

What's great about this show is that it's not only The Blackwaters and Red Weddings which make it amazing. The show is equally amazing even when a character is invoking procedure in a courtroom or when another is simply applying for a loan.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.