Game of Thrones season 4

Darth Krawlie

Martin tried to do with Jaime the opposite of what Breaking Bad did with Walter. In that show they wanted to take a good,likeable person and turn him into someone you hated. With Jaime they wanted him to do something terrible in basically the first few pages of the book and over time you grow to like him.

There is no point bringing in modern ethics or morality into the equation when regarding game of thrones, In my opinion. I try go by game of thrones ethics whilst watching the show, which is why I still like Jaime, the hound, Bron and Stannis so much. I only disliked Joffrey because he was such a sniveling, spineless little sadistic ****. Not because he was particularly shit to to the Starks.

To a point I agree. But then again, my own sensibilities are bound to get in the way at times.

That being said, while I am seriously annoyed and disgusted at the turn this gives Jaime's character, I'm also starting to get annoyed at the crazed reactions the scene has generated, as well.

In a brave, scintillating work of journalism, Time has devoted an entire article to explaining how the scene can't be "Rape and Not Rape." Oh boy, this is exciting! I hope this is the first in an educational series!

• "Throwing Children From Extremely High Places: Never Justified"
  • "Eating Sausages in Front of the Guy Whose Weiner You Just Chopped Off: Always Trolling"
  • "Stabbing Pregnant Women in the Belly: Never a Safe or Sanitary Method of Birth Control."

Thanks for the learnin', Time!

(p.s. I actually agree with the Time article. You can't have it both ways)

Guest El Chalupacabra

Raping never redeemed nobody.

Until now, I'd have agreed. Cersei deserved it for blaming Tyrion and having him imprisoned. She's like the new Andrea: anything bad that happens to her, I cheer.

I'm with Cerina on the scene.

Don't think it was 'rape'. She might be saying no and stop however she isn't truely fighting back (against a one handed man) and she kisses him back quite clearly. I believe she wanted him just her only problem was the place and the fact it was basically humping on top of their dead son.

Damn, your husband must take you Genghis Kahn style if you thought that scene was cool.

Dude, it was twins doin the dirty next to their son's lifeless body. Rape or not, there's nothing "cool" about it. That's some seriously fucked up shit. But seriously, how was that rape?

Stannis is awesome because I can see some super strong integrity beneath his current facade that he wears. Plus he's hard as fuck, and I love his dialogue. Particularly last season when he was describing surviving a siege by eating animals, pets, and eventually people. Again I haven't read the books but it feels like he is a dark horse biding his time and he's gonna do some cool shit.

Integrity? That fool keeps his daughter locked in a cage, cheated on his wife with a witch so said witch could kill his baby brother whom he decided to wage war on (while said baby brother was expecting support), allowed his wife to burn her family members alive, and threatened to kill his best friend/most loyal homeboy!! Seriously. fuck that douche.

So yeah. Jamie's back to being likeable again. Sansa needs to stab Littlefinger in his sleep.

^

I get the impression that he doesn't really like having his daughter locked up and that is his wife's doing. (He always speaks fondly of his daughter, and his wife is a horrible bitch to her). Stannis also says at the table that he may not like things, but he suffers them none the less. His integrity lies in that he is suffering doing some reprehensible things for his ultimate goal. To be king. He's doing what is necessary, but it doesn't mean that he likes doing it. Stannis is rad. Everyone does nasty shit in this world, he is not particularly worse than anyone else.

That was a hell of an episode. Love that they're doing things to make Bran's story interesting, and Locke showing up at the Wall and joining Jon Snow's campaign has me VERY intrigued. Great work again by Nikolaj Coster-Waldau, who is quickly competing with Peter Dinklage as best actor on the show. And hey, even Grey Worm has some personality now, so that's fun.

Next week I need more Roose/Ramsay/Theon, and more Stannis/Davos. They haven't even mentioned they were planning on going to the Wall to help the NIght's Watch yet this season, which was their season finale storyline last year.

Loved it, loved it, loved it.

- Missandei teaching Grey Worm how to speak, uh, English. Er, the common tongue. They would have such cute kids!

- Grey Worm and the Unsullied breaking into Mereen through the sewers. The slaves of Mereen are debating the merits of a revolt and basically decide against it until Grey Worm shows up with a stirring speech... and some weapons.

- And.... that was quick. Dany now holds Mereen and as punishment for the slave children they used as mile-markers Dany has 163 of the masters crucified.

- More Bronn and Jaime! Jaime looks to be progressing a little, but he clearly doesn't have his sea-legs yet. Bronn uses Jaime's golden hand to beat him and then says "stop hitting yourself, stop hitting yourself." I loved Bronn explaining how he came to be in Tyrion's service which was a great segue to the next scene.

- Jaime and Tyrion, a scene I've been looking forward to all season. Jaime comparing Tyrion's cell to his own pen with the Stark host. You can tell that there is real brotherly love between the two. Best line: "Are you really asking me if I killed your son?" "Are you really asking me if I'd kill my brother?"

- "Sansa's not a killer... not yet anyway" Foreshadowing my theory that Sansa will become Cersei-lite by the time the series is over.

- Sansa and Littlefinger. Another great line "I'd risk everything to get what I want." "What do you want?" "...Everything."

- Lady Olenna confirms that she was behind Joffrey's murder, and that Margaery had nothing to do with it.

- Jon Snow is training some new recruits (among them, Locke from Roose Bolton). Alliser Thorne gets under Jon's skin for the 95th time.

- Jaime and Cersei-with-a-wine-cup-in-hand. Cersei gives Jaime shit for swearing a vow to Catelyn Stark; reminds him she could order Jaime to find Sansa and kill her.

- Margaery gets a head-start on seducing Tommen. Side note: I would let Margaery Tyrell seduce the F*CK out of me. Lawdy.

- Jaime gives Oathkeeper to Brienne. And Pod! Yes Ser.... er, m'lady.

- Jon is going to Crastor's keep and gets lots of volunteers. Awwwwwww. Locke offers to go with Jon.

- We check in with the mutineers in a scene that is largely unnecessary. Crastor's last kid has to be given to the Others.

- Bran and co. hear the baby crying. Bran skinchanges into Summer to investigate. Summer falls into a trap. Meera goes to investigate and they're all captured. Creepy lead mutineer is threatening the 'good guys' when Bran tells them who he is.

- We get a glimpse into the Land of Always Winter and see what happens to Crastor's sons.

Comments for book readers:

- Dany not heeding Barristan's advice is a nice set-up for him to get back in her good graces by tattling on Jorah, leading to his exile.

- Is the little kid at the wall going to be the one to shoot Ygritte, I wonder?

- I like having Locke at the Wall. Adds a little tension.

- Obvious foreshadowing that Jon will be Lord Commander.

- Hmmm... Sam told Jon about Bran being north of the wall. While I will wait to pass judgment on that; that presents some problems regardless of whether or not they actually meet up at Crastor's next week. If Bran and Rickon are alive, that means that fake-Arya and real-Sansa are no longer actual keys to the North for the Boltons or Littlefinger. Also it takes something away from when Stannis offers to make Jon a Stark after the battle at the Wall.

Loved it, loved it, loved it.

- Missandei teaching Grey Worm how to speak, uh, English. Er, the common tongue. They would have such cute kids!

- Grey Worm and the Unsullied breaking into Mereen through the sewers. The slaves of Mereen are debating the merits of a revolt and basically decide against it until Grey Worm shows up with a stirring speech... and some weapons.

- And.... that was quick. Dany now holds Mereen and as punishment for the slave children they used as mile-markers Dany has 163 of the masters crucified.

- More Bronn and Jaime! Jaime looks to be progressing a little, but he clearly doesn't have his sea-legs yet. Bronn uses Jaime's golden hand to beat him and then says "stop hitting yourself, stop hitting yourself." I loved Bronn explaining how he came to be in Tyrion's service which was a great segue to the next scene.

- Jaime and Tyrion, a scene I've been looking forward to all season. Jaime comparing Tyrion's cell to his own pen with the Stark host. You can tell that there is real brotherly love between the two. Best line: "Are you really asking me if I killed your son?" "Are you really asking me if I'd kill my brother?"

- "Sansa's not a killer... not yet anyway" Foreshadowing my theory that Sansa will become Cersei-lite by the time the series is over.

- Sansa and Littlefinger. Another great line "I'd risk everything to get what I want." "What do you want?" "...Everything."

- Lady Olenna confirms that she was behind Joffrey's murder, and that Margaery had nothing to do with it.

- Jon Snow is training some new recruits (among them, Locke from Roose Bolton). Alliser Thorne gets under Jon's skin for the 95th time.

- Jaime and Cersei-with-a-wine-cup-in-hand. Cersei gives Jaime **** for swearing a vow to Catelyn Stark; reminds him she could order Jaime to find Sansa and kill her.

- Margaery gets a head-start on seducing Tommen. Side note: I would let Margaery Tyrell seduce the F*CK out of me. Lawdy.

- Jaime gives Oathkeeper to Brienne. And Pod! Yes Ser.... er, m'lady.

- Jon is going to Crastor's keep and gets lots of volunteers. Awwwwwww. Locke offers to go with Jon.

- We check in with the mutineers in a scene that is largely unnecessary. Crastor's last kid has to be given to the Others.

- Bran and co. hear the baby crying. Bran skinchanges into Summer to investigate. Summer falls into a trap. Meera goes to investigate and they're all captured. Creepy lead mutineer is threatening the 'good guys' when Bran tells them who he is.

- We get a glimpse into the Land of Always Winter and see what happens to Crastor's sons.

Comments for book readers:

- Dany not heeding Barristan's advice is a nice set-up for him to get back in her good graces by tattling on Jorah, leading to his exile.

- Is the little kid at the wall going to be the one to shoot Ygritte, I wonder?

- I like having Locke at the Wall. Adds a little tension.

- Obvious foreshadowing that Jon will be Lord Commander.

- Hmmm... Sam told Jon about Bran being north of the wall. While I will wait to pass judgment on that; that presents some problems regardless of whether or not they actually meet up at Crastor's next week. If Bran and Rickon are alive, that means that fake-Arya and real-Sansa are no longer actual keys to the North for the Boltons or Littlefinger. Also it takes something away from when Stannis offers to make Jon a Stark after the battle at the Wall.

Sansa will become like Cersei, she will kill her. Cersei is obsessed with the prophecy that she will be undone by a younger, more beautiful woman. She assumes its Margaery and schemes against her. Yet it will be Sansa, who Cersei underestimates and thinks only eats lemon cakes.

I’m a little intrigued by Cersei’s conversation with Oberyn. Sending your daughter an “I miss you” ship is all well and good, but there’s got to be more to it than that. I almost feel like she’s trying to make Oberyn curious about her… Also, what was with her speech to her father about understanding it’s all for the good of the family? Did Joffrey’s death really change her that much? Is she really finished with Jaime? Is she just scared that her father will turn on her, too, after seeing him give up on Jaime? Or, because of that, is she now realizing that Casterly Rock could potentially be hers? I’m actually interested in what Cersei is doing for the first time in a long time.

My heart broke a little at the look on Hodor’s face when he sees Locke’s body and realizes he killed him. I understand that it was necessary to escape and all, but I think it brings up an interesting ethical question, even in the GoT world. I was already a little uncomfortable with Bran possessing Summer; at what point did it become okay for Bran to take the freewill of Hodor—a simpleton who clearly loves and trusts him—and force his body to do things it never would otherwise?

Lady Lysa. So crazy. How long before Sansa heads back to King’s Landing voluntarily? Also from the Vale storyline, I don’t know how I feel about Littlefinger being the catalyst that set everything in motion. Maybe it’s just because I still (always) see the actor as the poor man’s Gary Oldman, but I’ve never been convinced that the character is that much smarter than everybody else.

Jon being reunited with Snow. So many good feels. So rare at the end of a GoT episode.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.