Game of Thrones season 4

Darth Krawlie

*Damn it, Jaime, I want to keep liking you. After you were so nice and fatherly to Tommen...

*The scene with Oberyn this week showed me why I liked the Tywin/Arya and Tywin/Olenna scenes so much. We very rarely get to see him interact with someone outside his family, and he becomes a completely different person. Charles Dance is just great all the time.

*Dany's story is finally starting to bore me (I'm late getting on that train), in no small part because of this crap new Daario. Her interest in the old Daario felt like a natural progression from Khal Drogo; now it feels part silly schoolgirl, part Bronn 2.0. Blech.

*Seriously, is ANYONE interested in Sam and Gilly? Anyone?

EDIT: Apparently the director was filming (or thought he was filming) a sex scene that was consensual by the end. After rewatching it a couple times, I can see where parts of it could be read that way, but they cut it at a horrible place if the intention was for us to see her consent. She was actually kissing him back for a minute once he had her sitting down, but the fact that they ended the scene as she kept saying "no"... It doesn't bother me, but anyone pretentious enough to use the phrase 'rape apologist/culture' is going to be PISSED.

Yeah, the scene definitely had a rapey vibe to it, but having read the scene in the book, I eventually settled on not-rapey by the time the scene ended. I thought she was definitely helping things along herself, though I can totally see how that looked like just plain rape to some (most?).

Tywin, Tyrion, and Littlefinger are the only three in the show who know how the game is played. Lady Olenna too, I guess. Tywin is just more and more a badass every episode.

Sam and Gilly was definitely boring. What is it with the women in this show being incapable of understanding when they're in danger? Tyrion talking to Shae last week was like talking to a brick wall. Then of course, why on earth does Sam think a brothel was a good place for Gilly to stay?

RE: Tyrion and Podrick

Every review I've read so far seems to have interpreted this scene entirely different than I did. I need to re-watch this and the Cersei/Jaime scene, but I can't do that because the DVR didn't record for me. Erg. Anyway, it seemed to me like Tyrion was telling Podrick to go ahead and testify against him rather than to not testify against him and gtfo of Kings Landing.

Yeah, the scene definitely had a rapey vibe to it, but having read the scene in the book, I eventually settled on not-rapey by the time the scene ended. I thought she was definitely helping things along herself, though I can totally see how that looked like just plain rape to some (most?).

Tywin, Tyrion, and Littlefinger are the only three in the show who know how the game is played. Lady Olenna too, I guess. Tywin is just more and more a badass every episode.

Sam and Gilly was definitely boring. What is it with the women in this show being incapable of understanding when they're in danger? Tyrion talking to Shae last week was like talking to a brick wall. Then of course, why on earth does Sam think a brothel was a good place for Gilly to stay?

RE: Tyrion and Podrick

Every review I've read so far seems to have interpreted this scene entirely different than I did. I need to re-watch this and the Cersei/Jaime scene, but I can't do that because the DVR didn't record for me. Erg. Anyway, it seemed to me like Tyrion was telling Podrick to go ahead and testify against him rather than to not testify against him and gtfo of Kings Landing.

I think he basically told Podrick to get out of Dodge while the getting is good.

As to the "rapey" scene. Even if it were as people say, Cersei ****ing deserved it. She's a bitch. Raped by her brother next the corpse of her recently murdered son. Decent.

(Hey, it's game of thrones. Only going by the same morality that would have us say/feel "teenaged Joffrey deserved to be poisoned and die a hideous agonising death with blood pissing out his eyeballs")

I didn't like the rapey scene.

I really like the path Jaime is on, as a man who can perhaps never be forgiven, but learns to think for himself and finds a sort of peace/redemption in this life. While Cersei was not exactly howling "RAPE IN THE SEPT! RAPE IN THE SEPT! FIRE!!!" she was already suffering, due to her only human feeling being squashed (caring for her children), and was obviously not there mentally. Though there are some things to lend ambiguity to the scene, it certainly did not seem consensual, and it was uncomfortable to watch.

I get that it couldn't have been done exactly as in the books, due to Jaime being present for Joff's death, and not just arriving on scene, but I still didn't like the choice.

Yeah the more I thought about it the angrier I got. He flat raped her in the show, that might not have been what they were trying to portray, but that's what was onscreen. Book Jaime is awesome and has an awesome redemption arc and the rape kind of shits all over that.

Really liked this episode. Really seeing the recast Tommen coming into his own. Actually trying to be a decent king.

Tywin is awesome. Really liked his conversations with his grandson as well as the Red Viper. Shows who really is in charge of things.

Hound lowered on the scale of sympathetic bad guys. Still the scene was great with Arya.

Wildlings are really a nasty group. Hell hath no fury...

Apparently even George Martin himself didn't like the rape scene. It wasn't rape in the book but it definitely was in the show.

“In the novels, Jaime is not present at Joffrey’s death, and indeed, Cersei has been fearful that he is dead himself, that she has lost both the son and the father/ lover/ brother. And then suddenly Jaime is there before her. Maimed and changed, but Jaime nonetheless. Though the time and place is wildly inappropriate and Cersei is fearful of discovery, she is as hungry for him as he is for her.

The whole dynamic is different in the show, where Jaime has been back for weeks at the least, maybe longer, and he and Cersei have been in each other’s company on numerous occasions, often quarreling. The setting is the same, but neither character is in the same place as in the books, which may be why [producers] played the sept out differently. But that’s just my surmise; we never discussed this scene, to the best of my recollection.

Also, I was writing the scene from Jaime’s POV, so the reader is inside his head, hearing his thoughts. On the TV show, the camera is necessarily external. You don’t know what anyone is thinking or feeling, just what they are saying and doing.

If the show had retained some of Cersei’s dialogue from the books, it might have left a somewhat different impression — but that dialogue was very much shaped by the circumstances of the books, delivered by a woman who is seeing her lover again for the first time after a long while apart during which she feared he was dead. I am not sure it would have worked with the new timeline.

That’s really all I can say on this issue. The scene was always intended to be disturbing… but I do regret if it has disturbed people for the wrong reasons.”

i'm absolutely baffled by the amount of backlash and media coverage this rape scene in game of thrones has stirred up. it's game of thrones. we've seen 10 year olds in this show get decapitated, seen an unborn baby practically aborted during the red wedding. this show is wrong, brutal and grotesque. on so many levels.

also, it's funny reading other peoples opinions (not really here on nightly) about jaime, and how everyone has liked jaime, thought he was a cool dude, up until this point. what? the fact that he banged his sister on the side during all of season one, fathered a child with her and is a ruthless, selfish asshole wasn't enough to paint a picture and realize that he's not a good person? i'm not necessarily bashing because i don't like him. his character is fantastic, and his scenes with Brienne were some of my favorites from last season.

Guest El Chalupacabra

Meh if anyone needed a good raping, it's the sadistic mother of madness, Cersei. In my eyes, it makes Jaime that much more redeemed.

It wasn't the rape itself that disgusted me (well, you know what I mean), it was the fact that it was totally divergent of Jaime's character. As someone else put it: "This is the same Jaime Lannister who wanted to stop Aegon from raping Rhaella, the same man who saved Brienne from being raped, the same guy who said he'd rather die than be raped. Jaime knows that Robert raped and beat Cersei; why would he put the woman he loved through that himself?"

also, it's funny reading other peoples opinions (not really here on nightly) about jaime, and how everyone has liked jaime, thought he was a cool dude, up until this point. what? the fact that he banged his sister on the side during all of season one, fathered a child with her and is a ruthless, selfish ***hole wasn't enough to paint a picture and realize that he's not a good person? i'm not necessarily bashing because i don't like him. his character is fantastic, and his scenes with Brienne were some of my favorites from last season.

Well yeah, there's the whole sister-bangin' and Bran-throwin' things to consider, but Jaime wasn't an all bad person. It goes back to when he's captive and Catelyn calls him a man without honor, and an oathbreaker and all that and he goes 'So many oaths to keep straight: Defend the King, obey the King, obey your father, protect the innocent, defend the weak. But what if your father despises the King? What if the King massacres the innocent? It's too much. No matter what you do, you're forsaking one vow or another." Sure Jaime broke his oath when he became the "Kingslayer" but he did it because if he didn't, Aerys Targaryen was going to burn the entire city alive. He didn't have a part in the rape and murder of Elia or her children. He saved Brienne - twice! Jaime got to be incredibly likeable the more you saw why he was the way he was. As far as people go in the Game of Thrones universe, he wasn't half bad if you ask me.

How is consentual adult sex between siblings on the same level with throwing a kid out the window. I mean before this rape, of course. The only reason sibling sex is taboo is because of gentics. So how does that keep making the list of reasons Jamie is a douche?

Right, and throwing Bran out the window was a crime of passion and all that. "The things I do for love." Plus he even survived so PFFFFFT what's the big deal?

But on the flip side, they've said several times that incestuous kids are Joffrey-level-batshit-insane basically half the time. So that could be one reason it's "bad." You're knowingly inflicting that on some innocent child. Cersei "beat the odds" with only one out of three incestuous kids turning out that way.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.