Game of Thrones season 4

Darth Krawlie

Our feed froze right as Joffrey started choking and my wife lost her mind. Of course, she immediately predicted they'd blame Tyrion for it, and correctly guessed who's behind it... I didn't tell her she was right, but I was impressed.

I get what you guys mean about not hating Ramsay as much as Joffrey, but I certainly began to reading the books. It's true that Joffrey has been hurting characters we know and care about and Ramsay has only tortured Theon--but the ways in which he tortures Theon really made me sympathetic to him, even though he's a character we had just started to hate. Also, while Ramsay is equally as cruel as Joffrey, he's actually intelligent. I couldn't stop laughing at the "it wasn't supposed to be an honor!" line when he made Tyrion his cup bearer. No shit, buddy. I think we all got it!

Ramsey isn't half as arrogant. Just sadistic. Arrogance really makes all the difference.

I'm also pretty sure they recast Tommen because he's about to be a more central character (I'm guessing, haven't read that far in the books, but he is king now, right?), and on the TV show they age all of the characters. I'm assuming that's because while it's ok to read about the marriage/murder/sex-life of a 13 year old, nobody actually wants to see it on TV. So they age everybody to at least puberty to appease our general sensibilities.

That's one of Joffrey's best qualities: being able to say "I did..." when really he had no part in it at all.

I loved Tyrion's dig after the dwarf joust about showing them how a real king wins his crown, just as Joffrey did with his bravery at the Battle of Blackwater.

It seems like Tommen2 is a little bit older than Tommen1. If that is the case they probably aged up Tommen's actor because it's easier to work around a kid going from say 14-18 than say 10-14. I have no idea if this is correct or not.

I'm pretty sure I know why they did it, but to say it would be a mild spoiler.

Here's a theory from a buddy of mine at work that I really liked. I'll put it in spoilers because I don't want to imply the accuracy either way for non-readers.

He thinks it's Tywin, poisoning Joffrey so that Tommen can be king because he'd be easier for Tywin to control. I like this theory a lot. Had I not already read the books I'd seriously consider it myself.

Regarding the above,

At the feast he's the only one almost expressionless throughout. I don't think he said a single word.

I think he was silent because if he let himself speak he would risk losing control. Was there anybody at that wedding who didn't disappoint, defy, or otherwise piss him off?

And if trying to figure out who did it, the question to ask yourself is "who actually benefits the most from this?"

Everyone?

Who tangibly gained though? Alot of people hated him and are probably glad he's gone, but who really is in a better position now?

It seems like Tommen2 is a little bit older than Tommen1. If that is the case they probably aged up Tommen's actor because it's easier to work around a kid going from say 14-18 than say 10-14. I have no idea if this is correct or not.

I'm pretty sure I know why they did it, but to say it would be a mild spoiler.

Referring to the impending betrothal of Margaery and Tommen? (Keeping in mind that I'm not yet finished with ADWD)

Yeah, I think they want Margaery to use her sexuality on Tommen to try to win him over to her point of view. Which doesn't happen in the book cause he is truly a child and couldn't happen on the show if he were a little boy. But will likely happen now.

And if trying to figure out who did it, the question to ask yourself is "who actually benefits the most from this?"

Everyone?

Who tangibly gained though? Alot of people hated him and are probably glad he's gone, but who really is in a better position now?

I think that points back directly at Krawlie's spoiler. At least, that name tops my list. But

Assuming Tywin is the leading beneficiary, I'd place Olenna at a close second, maybe #1.5 even. Those two are the only ones seeming to see each other as "peers," though maybe not exactly that friendly a term.

Everyone?

I think that points back directly at Krawlie's spoiler. At least, that name tops my list. But

Assuming Tywin is the leading beneficiary, I'd place Olenna at a close second, maybe #1.5 even. Those two are the only ones seeming to see each other as "peers," though maybe not exactly that friendly a term.

I don't know if you've read the books or not, so don't read the spoiler if you haven't.

But yeah, it was Olenna and Margaery. I mean they have the most to gain. First and foremost who would want to marry Joffrey, you know eventually he will mistreat Margaery. Secondly Tommen is young and sweet. He could easily be won over by Margaery (I know I could easily) and once he is of age and ruling he could let the Tyrells influence him much more than the Lannisters, whereas with Joff there was no chance of it.

Yeah, I think they want Margaery to use her sexuality on Tommen to try to win him over to her point of view. Which doesn't happen in the book cause he is truly a child and couldn't happen on the show if he were a little boy. But will likely happen now.

Yeah, absolutely a good idea to change it. There are some lines you just can't cross. Let's stick with a child having a troubadour's tongue ripped out or forcing prostitutes to strip down and beat one another to death for their amusement... or skeezy man-children torturing, slicing off penises, and feeding innocent women to their dogs. You know, good wholesome scenes like that.

Yeah, absolutely a good idea to change it. There are some lines you just can't cross. Let's stick with a child having a troubadour's tongue ripped out or forcing prostitutes to strip down and beat one another to death for their amusement... or skeezy man-children torturing, slicing off penises, and feeding innocent women to their dogs. You know, good wholesome scenes like that.

Well I don't think its about not crossing a line. I think it's about that an 8 year old wouldn't be interested in sex yet at all, right?

i'm definitely going to miss joffrey, in terms of 'gee, i wonder what he's going to do next to make me loathe him even more'. i mean, every time he would make a show appearance, i'd immediately get pissed. i can't think of a character in recent years that i've loathed more. all things considered, this jack gleeson kid, (didn't realize he was 21!!!) really did a brilliant job with this character. these last 2 seasons or so, he really put his mark on the show with his performance.

i really wish i had picked these books up and read them before i ever watched the show. i've considered going back to read the books, but i just don't know if my interest could be held, because it just seems that this show is sooooo well done and i feel like i prolly haven't missed much.

ps- i read an article the other day that to make one GoT episode, it costs about $6million. thats incredible.

I'll agree, but perhaps not as ardently. I think in most cases you can definitively say "the books are way better," but I think this is one of the rare cases where the TV show augments the books and vice versa. It's more "symbiotic," imo.

After watching the first three seasons, I read books 3 and 4 (and am a ways into book 5). I still get the same enjoyment/shock of Joffrey dying reading about it in the book as I would only seeing it on TV. Any thrill I lose out on is easily offset for me by being able to help friends out explaining things or by watching people watch for the first time.

That being said, there are lots and lots and lots of details that you just can't pick up in their entirety from watching the show once or twice. For instance, I don't know how anyone who only watches the show keeps the events of Robert's Rebellion straight; and that's a storyline (and the fruits of it) that is really really important I think.

Game of Thrones is 100% of a story.

A Song of Ice and Fire is 200% of a story.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.