Game of Thrones season 4

Darth Krawlie

I know it's super early, but I just wanted to post some casting news.

The following new roles have been cast for season 4:

• Pedro Pascal as Oberyn Martell
  • Roger Ashton-Griffiths as Mace Tyrell
  • Indirma Varma as Ellaria Sand
  • Joseph Gatt as Styr
  • Elizabeth Webster as Walda Frey
  • Lu Corfield as the Mole's Town Madame
  • Mark Gatiss as Tycho Nestoris
  • Rupert Vansittart as Bronze Yohn Royce
  • Hoji Fortuna in an unknown role

Returning from seasons 1 and 2:

• Dominic Carter as Janos Slynt
  • Kate Dickie as Lysa Arryn
  • Owen Teale as Ser Alliser Thorne
  • Andy Beckwith as Rorge

And in some very interesting news, here are three roles that have been recast:

• Michiel Huisman as Daario Naharis
  • Dean-Charles Chapman as Tommen Baratheon
  • Hafþór Júlíus Björnsson as Gregor Clegane

Now I don't have much of an opinion on the new roles--I think the actors for Mace and Oberyn very much look the part, but that's about it. I'm also happy about the returning cast members. As for the recasts--the Mountain's already had two different actors and he's not a very dialogue heavy role anyway, so as long as he's big and menacing he'll do fine. The new actor for Daario definitely looks the part more than the previous actor, so I'm fine with that one too. The recast of Tommen, though, has me scratching my head. Apparently the new actor is older than the previous one, and Tommen's young age is one of the most important things about him. I wonder how they're going to deal with that?

I don't really have any issue with the recasting. Daario's character on the show didn't have much in common with the character in the books but I'm not sure it was the actors fault. But not problem with the recasting. The Mountain in both the show and book up to this point has always been more of an idea than a character, however he does appear more in this season, or should at least.

As for Tommen, he is supposed to be 9 or 10 in the books but alot of the characters are older on the show than the books. However the actor playing the character is 15 now, so Im guessing the character will be 12 or 13 on the show which is fine. The problem may be in future seasons when the character is still supposed to be quite young and the actor ends up being 17 or 18. But I guess thats a problem for the future.

Also it's possible they will try to add that the Tommen-Margary marriage by having Tommen being just old enough where Margaery can use her sexuality to get the young King on his side.

• 2 weeks later...

I wish I could say I know who that is, because I don't know if that is a good thing or bad.

They're an Icelandic band, who play very ethereal, cinematic, pop. The guitar player often uses a bow with his guitar, loads of spacey effects to make it sound otherworldly. They're great musicians but it's not really my cup of tea. I'm betting they will probably have a small role playing musicians of some type, and they definately could pull off some kind of elvish acoustic troupe, or something of that aesthetic. It's potentially a very cool thing. Hopefully.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Tyrion is one of the best characters in either of the books or show.

Here's a good little recap of most of the important things from the first three seasons, enough to give you a refresher for season 4 if you need it: http://io9.com/a-quick-and-dirty-refresher-course-on-game-of-thrones-1551373708

We're a little under 2 weeks until the premiere! I can't wait. The 4th trailer, which came out in the last week or so is just utterly bad ass.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.