Welcome to Nightly.Net
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

The Wolverine

77 replies to this topic

El Chalupacabra

El Chalupacabra

Monster of Mass Destruction

• Supporters
  • 8,719 posts
Maybe, but it isn't out of realm of possibility if they had Hugh Jackman come back and film a 5 minute sequence for a post credit scene (IE like Tony Stark appearing at the end of The Incredible Hulk). Would make sense if they did, too since this film is after Last Stand.
  • Driver +1 this

Darth Krawlie

Darth Krawlie

privileged ****lord

• Moderators
  • 34,466 posts
After reading what the post credit scene is, yeah, Chalup's got it.

ShadowDog

ShadowDog

Supra-Awesome Badass PIE Pimp

• 42,592 posts
Good movie! I enjoyed it!

Driver

Driver

Tank

• Supporters
  • 6,591 posts
All the reviews seem to say it's an amazing movie up until the final bits and it blows it. i09, whom I usually trust, seem to be the only ones outright hating it. Gonna see it tomorrow...

ShadowDog

ShadowDog

Supra-Awesome Badass PIE Pimp

• 42,592 posts
I enjoyed it throughout. I guess critics could hit them on a couple things, but I go back to Russell Crowe's imfamous line: "WERE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED?!?"

And I found I was. Throughout.

NumberSix

NumberSix

Content Provider Emeritus

• 29,746 posts
This was much better than X-Men Origins: Wolverine, and I loved seeing bits of the original Chris Claremont/Frank Miller miniseries worked into it, but I would've liked it a lot more if they'd kept their silly super-villains out of it altogether.
  • Tex +1 this

Driver

Driver

Tank

• Supporters
  • 6,591 posts
Yeah, that was actually the weakest part-- like every superhero movie before it, the third act is Machiavellian villan with a doomy plot to be foiled via lots of special effects.

I've been having superhero movie burnout as they pretty much all have the exact same structure and movement, be they originals or sequels.

Act 1 is about the proto hero, with our lead either having the call to herodom reach them, or they are questioning it in some way.

Act 2 is them learning why the world needs them despite their best efforts to sabotage themselves whilst the villain's plan comes together.

Act 3, they put on their hero pants and face the maniacle villain.

This pretty much fits any superhero movie made since X-men kicked off the modern superhero film revolution in 2000.

It's high time that formula was broken. The Wolverine has come the closest to doing so. While Act 1 and 3 certainly are close, we got a second act that was more about actual character growth. Logan was having new experiences, falling in love and dealing with the trauma of what came before... Which is something sequels have forgotten too.

Look at how fundamentally different Empire Strikes back is just compared to the original Star Wars. I'm glad they realized The Wolverine could be more personal. Not every comic book storyline revolves around saving the world, the movies don't either so long as they are compelling.

The Wolverine went most of its length being an action adventure film with a lead who happened to have some superpowers. That works-- hopefully this movie makes enough money for the studio to see that.

And the post credits bit... Cool, but confusing...
  • NumberSix +1 this

El Chalupacabra

El Chalupacabra

Monster of Mass Destruction

• Supporters
  • 8,719 posts
Wow! My mind is still processing the awesomeness of this one! Totally redeems Last Stand, and IMHO, probably my favorite Xmen film thus far.
Most super hero films you can say said actor appears AS said super hero, but few ARE said super hero. To me, Hugh Jackman IS Wolverine.

Lucas1138

Lucas1138

Spam Lord

• Moderators
  • 18,237 posts
I enjoyed it. Cool scene mid-credits too. I'm really excited for DOFP.

Cerina

Cerina

Now and forever...

• Admin
  • 29,852 posts
That was pretty awesome. I agree though. Blonde Poison Ivy and Japanese Hawkeye were pretty lame and useless.

But the mid credit scene made me pretty giddy. Like...school girl giddy. Fangirl giddy.

Old Biff Returns

Old Biff Returns

• Members
  • 106 posts
Thought it was great, anyone else?

Lucas1138

Lucas1138

Spam Lord

• Moderators
  • 18,237 posts
This clearly isn't Old Biff from the future (or maybe he misread his almanac) or else he'd know we've got a Superheroes forum now - complete with Wolverine discussion! :D

Old Biff Returns

Old Biff Returns

• Members
  • 106 posts

This clearly isn't Old Biff from the future (or maybe he misread his almanac) or else he'd know we've got a Superheroes forum now - complete with Wolverinediscussion! :D

It is I, back from the Past... lol

and thanks ;-)

Old Biff from the Future

Old Biff from the Future

Fleet Marine Force Navy Corpsman Veteran 91-00

• Members
  • 2,368 posts
Tracking well at the Box Office overseas at 87 million for the first weekend.

Keep in mind it has yet to open in Japan and China.

Japan should be key.

The movie was awesome......

Old Biff from the Future

Old Biff from the Future

• Members
  • 2,368 posts
The Wolverine

has now grossed 53 million Domestic and 92 million Overseas

150 million take in 4 days.

Old Biff from the Future

Old Biff from the Future

• Members
  • 2,368 posts
4,330 on a Thursday when they projected a 2,500 on Aug 2nd 2013

A little word of mouth is traveling on it.

BTW! They keep talking about the fact that it's hanging with First Class, both now at 73 million Domestic thru August 2nd 2013. However, they say that it's only because the added 3D prices. These idiots (the media) fail to tell you about the blunder FOX did by releasing it on 3000 screens out of 3900 in 3D. This is slightly killing it at the box office as you are sort of forced to see it in 3D. I myself had to see the film in 3D because my theatre did not offer 2D. So people that don't like 3D will opt for other films. They should cut 1000 3D screens and increase 1000 2D.

Old Biff from the Future

Old Biff from the Future

• Members
  • 2,368 posts
The Wolverine

has now grossed 73.5 million Domestic and 92 million Overseas

166 million take in 7 days.

This still inlcudes the weekly overseas box of 92 million. They do not add more WW daily, they only add overseas at the end of the week. I am assuming right now that it's at 200 million WW right now and will hit 220 WW by Sunday.

Lucas1138

Lucas1138

Spam Lord

• Moderators
  • 18,237 posts
I'll be interested to see what the drop is this weekend. It seemed to have pretty good word of mouth. The initial gross wasn't that surprising because of how bad the last Wolverine was.

Old Biff from the Future

Old Biff from the Future

• Members
  • 2,368 posts

I'll be interested to see what the drop is this weekend. It seemed to have pretty good word of mouth. The initial gross wasn't that surprising because of how bad the last Wolverine was.

Looks like an Xmen record 68.9% drop.

WOW!!

the flop thing got around a but this weekend to much. Even some of my friends at work were saying they were going to see it until they have heard it was terrible. I told them different..... not sure if that helped

Old Biff from the Future

Old Biff from the Future

• Members
  • 2,368 posts
Total Lifetime Grosses
Domestic: $95,039,000 50.8% + Foreign: $91,993,104 49.2% = Worldwide: $187,032,104

Tracking........

should be 225 WW by the end of the weekend.

Tex

Tex

• 0 posts
Decent movie, but i wish it would've been more faithful to the source material. I guess they didn't think a modern audience would buy an old guy with a wooden sword kicking Wolverine's ass.

Viper bitch almost ruined it for me. The only gaijin who belongs in this story was Logan, but I guess they had to sex it up a bit.

And how in the hell did he survive a shotgun blast to the gut without his healing factor? Come on, writers.

I guess in death Jean figured she'd look better as a brunette
  • Ryn +1 this

Exodus

Exodus

Making This Sh*t Cool Again

• 27,292 posts
Isn't that about how she looked pre-Phoenix? Obviously younger then, but...

Old Biff from the Future

Old Biff from the Future

• Members
  • 2,368 posts

Decent movie, but i wish it would've been more faithful to the source material. I guess they didn't think a modern audience would buy an old guy with a wooden sword kicking Wolverine's ass.

- If you noticed they did throw in the Silver Samurai during Logan's dream sequence. Also, they actaully used a ton from the source materials. Almost the entire first and seconds acts are borrowed from years of Wolverine's comics. The Bear scene, Bar scene, Train scene, the Ninja's, etc....

Viper bitch almost ruined it for me. The only gaijin who belongs in this story was Logan, but I guess they had to sex it up a bit.

- I thought the Viper later did a great job but she wasn't really needed. I think they just wanted another mutant but not a known one for the story. This is a stand a lone film so they were trying to stay away from other mutants.

And how in the hell did he survive a shotgun blast to the gut without his healing factor? Come on, writers.

- The Spider only drained and slowed down his healing process.

I guess in death Jean figured she'd look better as a brunette

- This was all in Logan's head, she was not real, just a dream/nightmare.

Old Biff from the Future

Old Biff from the Future

• Members
  • 2,368 posts

Isn't that about how she looked pre-Phoenix? Obviously younger then, but...

Yes, they did a great job on her. I actually enjoyed these scene as they were used well to show Logan's struggle.

Tex

Tex

• 0 posts
Thank you, Old Son Of Lucas from the Past

Reply to this topic