Lucas1138

I realize I'm in the minority that is interested in such things, but Batman v. Superman is falling ridiculously fast at the box office. Having front loaded movies where there's a big opening weekend that makes up a good chunk of business is common nowadays, but Batman v. Superman is falling much faster than normal than would be expected. Week-to-week, it hasn't managed a drop of less than 52% on any day in its entire run. Only in it's fourth weekend, it's already down to $9 million.

So far it's on track to barely make more than 50% of its box office after its first three days. This is almost unprecedented territory for a massive opening weekend film. The only films that really compare it with are the Twilight sequels and Fifty Shades of Gray.

Now, it's still going to end up with a run north of $850 million, worldwide. So they won't lose money or anything once it's all said and done. But this is pretty bad news for Warner Bros. as they try to duplicate Marvel's success. They just put their three biggest icons in one movie together (stripping the Justice League movie of its big draw) and essentially found a ceiling of well under $1 billion. The only good news is that Suicide Squad has people reasonably intrigued.

But, overall, the studio is probably already wishing it could have a do-over.

If the movie ends up making 850 mil and the movie cost 250 mil to make and I'm sure they spent probably 200 mil to promote the movie will it really be all that profitable for the studio? I realize basic math would seem to say yes, but once the theaters take their cut how much profit is it for Warners? I'd think not very much. I know once there is other income associated with the movie in terms of merchandise (which I doubt this movie had THAT much of) and eventually it's home release but just through the box office I'm thinking that Warners isn't making much money from this yet.

If the movie ends up making 850 mil and the movie cost 250 mil to make and I'm sure they spent probably 200 mil to promote the movie will it really be all that profitable for the studio?

Not nearly as profitable as they were expecting, I'm sure. I doubt they're in danger of losing money once all the profits come in beyond ticket sales. But, it's got to be spooking them when it comes to the 2nd-tier films. If this is all they can get out of a Batman/Superman movie that they advertised the daylights out of, suddenly giving Aquaman or Cyborg a $200 million budget or whatever they planned might not sound like such a good idea. Because if that $250 million budget number for Suicide Squad is anywhere close to accurate, they seem to be planning to spend a ton on these films.

I'm just saying, in my view, it's not. If there's no future movies, there's no future movies. Life goes on.

Sure. That also works for pretty much anything that isn't your own death, though.

If the movie ends up making 850 mil and the movie cost 250 mil to make and I'm sure they spent probably 200 mil to promote the movie will it really be all that profitable for the studio? I realize basic math would seem to say yes, but once the theaters take their cut how much profit is it for Warners? I'd think not very much. I know once there is other income associated with the movie in terms of merchandise (which I doubt this movie had THAT much of) and eventually it's home release but just through the box office I'm thinking that Warners isn't making much money from this yet.

From my understanding, when everything is factored in, $850 million means Warner just BARELY broke even on BvS. Unless it grosses over $1.2 billion, and that is highly unlikely to happen. it will not be considered profitable to the shareholders.

So yeah, WB is probably wishing they had dumped Snyder after Man of Steel by now.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.