Lucas1138

When Wonder Woman first appeared in the final battle, the people in the theater I saw it in popped and cheered like they were at a wrestling event and The Rock's music had just hit. Pretty ****ing wild.

It certainly wasn't a Marvel movie, but my goal was to go have fun at a movie with a couple of friends and I did. No ass hat critic can take that away from me.

It obviously had some issues. If anyone knows the story behind the video game Destiny getting chopped up and shuffled around, good...because I got that vibe here during the first third of the movie. It's like there were missing pieces that would have explained things better than some of the scenes they chose not to edit out that could have been.

I get that the execution was lacking, but these critics that are reacting like they have no idea what was trying to be conveyed...lol, just lol. It's easy to see what happened and why, the problem is that it wasn't pulled off very well.

I'll probably see it tomorrow night, but it seems like critics are going after this movie with an agenda. Kinda like they're trying to affect it's box office or something.

Almost like the opposite of the full on fellatio job critics did on TFA. Especially the internet bloggers who later back tracked and admitted TFA wasn't in the top 5 with sliced bread.

So you watch movies to have a shared experience with the masses? Personally I watch them to spend a couple hours out of my head being entertained...

I do actually. Films to me are made to be experienced in a theater with the masses. That doesn't diminish how great a movie can be if you only get to watch it at home months or even years after its release. But watching a film in a theater, especially a packed house on opening night to a film that's been buzzing for a long time now, is akin to going to a concert. I can love the songs just as much listening to them by myself in my car, but it doesn't compare to the rush of hearing them performed with a large audience in an arena.

When Wonder Woman first appeared in the final battle, the people in the theater I saw it in popped and cheered like they were at a wrestling event and The Rock's music had just hit. Pretty ****ing wild.

Same thing happened at the showing I went to. Actually, everyone also went nuts when the Joker appeared in the Suicide Squad trailer. I agree with your sentiment about it being worth the ticket price and the "ass hat critics."

I loved BvS. Expectations are a funny thing. Based on all the negative buzz surrounding this film coupled with the bad trailer and the fact that Man of Steel was underwhelming, I thought BvS would be "ok" at best. So I was surprised by how much I enjoyed it.

Same here. I had low expectations sense this movie was announced, but I enjoyed it a lot. I know I'm probably alone in this, but I really liked this movie's portrayal of Batman, in spite of myself. This Batman was largely inspired by Frank Miller's take on the character, and Miller's Batman has always been kinda f****d up, so no complaints there.

But I do agree with others that everything feels rushed. Why does DC feel a need to "catch up" to Marvel? Marvel built up its cinematic universe in a very slow and methodical way. DC should have learned from that. Everything that DC's doing feels forced.

I'll probably see it tomorrow night, but it seems like critics are going after this movie with an agenda. Kinda like they're trying to affect it's box office or something.

Read this AFTER you see the movie.

I think this is a little unfair. This movie has really significant narrative issues. It's not so much a cohesive story with a coherent three-act structure as it is a composite of four movies carelessly smashed into one. There's a Batman film, a Superman sequel, a Lex Luthor film, and a Justice League lead-in -- none of it really feels connected any way. Because this movie is trying to do so many things there isn't really a lot of time to the build characters (What does Lex Luthor's company do? Why does he hate Superman and Batman?) or explore some of the more interesting ideas it presents (Should Superman be collaborating with the government in order to determine when and how he should act? What perspective can someone who has been a vigilante for years offer to someone who is just starting?). It also wastes an incredible amount of time on material that has absolutely no bearing on the plot, makes no sense, is overly convoluted, or is a ham-fisted, nakedly obvious, studio-mandated attempt at world-building (The White Portuguese? Why so much focus on Lois Lane? The Justice League commercials that totally interrupt the narrative? The really cool, but pointless dream sequence featuring an Earth that has been conquered by Darkseid and the WILDLY nonsensical appearance by the Flash). The result, for me at least was a completely ineffectual attempt at telling a story and building a universe. I won't even get into Batman and Superman outright murdering people -- like Snyder doubled down on fan criticism that he doesn't understand these characters.

I'm always wary when the word "agenda" is used to undermine criticism. It seems to me like a way to avoid engaging with the actual arguments. There's a lot to dislike about this movie from a critical standpoint.

Yeah I get tired of backlash against critics who dare report the truth about shitty movies. Not everything is a conspiracy. Sometimes a movie just sucks ass. Don't shoot the messenger just because you're one of the few who liked a dumpster fire of a movie.

Yeah I get tired of backlash against critics who dare report the truth about ****ty movies. Not everything is a conspiracy. Sometimes a movie just sucks ass. Don't shoot the messenger just because you're one of the few who liked a dumpster fire of a movie.

Like I said I haven't seen the movie yet. I could agree with the critics, I might disagree. But there is a lot of anger in some of these negative reviews. Almost as if they are taking it personally. They might, but that should never show in your work. Though it is what happens when anyone with an IP address becomes a "critic".

Like I said I haven't seen the movie yet. I could agree with the critics, I might disagree. But there is a lot of anger in some of these negative reviews. Almost as if they are taking it personally. They might, but that should never show in your work. Though it is what happens when anyone with an IP address becomes a "critic".

Yeah, there's definitely something to this point. Critics seem to think they're being beaten over the head with superhero movies (they're not, but whatever) and so they're resentful of having to watch them -- particularly the bad ones. I hate biopics. If I was forced to watch them for my job my irritation would probably bleed into my reviews. Are they really obligated to be unbiased though? Their profession is kind of about personal reflection.

Guest El Chalupacabra

How was Affleck's acting as Batman? Was he a decent Bats? How does he rank compared to Bale and Keaton?

Well...I didn't really like it. :|

Jerk depressing Superman who has a beef with Batman because reasons? No thank you.

Crazy, twitchy Lex? No thank you.

Homicidal Batman who wants to kill Superman because he *might* go crazy and kill everyone, I guess? Do not want!

Boring Lois who...mmmm, well, not much to say about her, she was just kind of there, mostly. Whatever!

Random appearances of Flash/Aquaman/Cyborg that made me feel like the writers of Mortal Kombat: Annihilation snuck onto the set and threw some things in there because hey guys, we'll show you more of them in their own movies coming soon to a theater near you!

Let's get Doomsday in there because we need someone for Superman and Batman to fight after they make up and exchange loving mom stories!

Honestly, Wonder Woman was probably the best thing in it for me, but there wasn't enough of her to make a solid judgement. I did like her attitude during the fight, especially her little smile after getting back up from DD's punch.

I give it a D+! Couldn't care less if if I never saw it again.

Read this AFTER you see the movie.

I think this is a little unfair. This movie has really significant narrative issues. It's not so much a cohesive story with a coherent three-act structure as it is a composite of four movies carelessly smashed into one. There's a Batman film, a Superman sequel, a Lex Luthor film, and a Justice League lead-in -- none of it really feels connected any way. Because this movie is trying to do so many things there isn't really a lot of time to the build characters (What does Lex Luthor's company do? Why does he hate Superman and Batman?) or explore some of the more interesting ideas it presents (Should Superman be collaborating with the government in order to determine when and how he should act? What perspective can someone who has been a vigilante for years offer to someone who is just starting?). It also wastes an incredible amount of time on material that has absolutely no bearing on the plot, makes no sense, is overly convoluted, or is a ham-fisted, nakedly obvious, studio-mandated attempt at world-building (The White Portuguese? Why so much focus on Lois Lane? The Justice League commercials that totally interrupt the narrative? The really cool, but pointless dream sequence featuring an Earth that has been conquered by Darkseid and the WILDLY nonsensical appearance by the Flash). The result, for me at least was a completely ineffectual attempt at telling a story and building a universe. I won't even get into Batman and Superman outright murdering people -- like Snyder doubled down on fan criticism that he doesn't understand these characters.

I'm always wary when the word "agenda" is used to undermine criticism. It seems to me like a way to avoid engaging with the actual arguments. There's a lot to dislike about this movie from a critical standpoint.

I saw it and I liked it.

As for the narrative, yeah you can pick it apart for the way they tried to tell the story. I didn't have a problem because I knew enough history from the comics to fill in some of the holes. I did have to explain things to my wife, but she got it and liked it. From the way Warner is trying to do this from center-out there was no way to do this cohesively. I mean if they added one more hero to the mix(Green Lantern), this would have had to be Lord of the Rings length. Speaking of Rings, I didn't like how they dragged out the end of the movie.

How was Affleck's acting as Batman? Was he a decent Bats? How does he rank compared to Bale and Keaton?

I never cared for Keaton. A Batman who runs away from the bad guys as Batman but challenges them to a fight as Bruce Wayne. Ugh.

I don't think The Dark Knight will ever be topped as a Batman film for me. But in BvS Affleck's scenes were my favorite of the film, especially the ones with Alfred. Jeremy Irons is great at delivering sarcasm. It fit his character to a T.

I never cared for Keaton. A Batman who runs away from the bad guys as Batman but challenges them to a fight as Bruce Wayne. Ugh.

That's a writing problem not an acting problem. But I agree with you that was retarded.

Keaton is my favorite onscreen Batman. That scene at the end where he's in the cathedral beating up henchmen while the Joker dances with Vicki Vale in the background is the quintessential movie Batman to me. I know that movie is total nonsense but I have a ridiculous nostalgic attachment to it. i've seen it so many times I could practically do it as a one man show.

Affleck was excellent. The Batman action was excellent. It gets on my nerves that he was killing people even more in this one because they really almost got the character down to the last cross of the t.

That said, I'm not coming back for Justice League. I'm a DC guy, and this is just not the DC Universe I love reading about/watching. Zack Snyder is like the Rob Liefeld of comic book movies.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.