Welcome to Nightly.Net
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

A Nerd Extravaganza! San Diego Comic-con.

37 replies to this topic

Cerina

Cerina

Now and forever...

• Admin
  • 29,826 posts
Do you guys think attendance at SDCC will dwindle one this geek chic fad passes?

Darth Krawlie

Darth Krawlie

privileged ****lord

• Moderators
  • 34,384 posts
Maybe, but there's many many years before that happens.

Rock

Rock

Self High-Five

• 38,702 posts
How much do tickets costs?

Are they hard to get? Do they get sold out?

Are hotels in the area usually all filled?

Darth Krawlie

Darth Krawlie

privileged ****lord

• Moderators
  • 34,384 posts
They go up in price every year, 4 day passes her 175 this year.

They are VERY hard to get and sell out in an hour or two. Go to the Con website and read up on how to register. Learn it, love it, live it.

Oh yes, they fill up fast as well. A lot of hotels have a deal with Con to hold rooms and put them up whenever the Con itself is ready to release them. There's also always Motel 6s, Super 8s, and other cheap motels, and since transportation on the trolley is pretty easy, that's what I usually recommend to out of towners.

Driver

Driver

Tank

• Supporters
  • 6,591 posts

Do you guys think attendance at SDCC will dwindle one this geek chic fad passes?

I don't think it's a bubble that's going to burst given that 80% of Hollywood films are now based on the retro pop culture that has been celebrated at cons for decades. It's not a fad, it's the new mainstream.
  • Ryn +1 this

Cerina

Cerina

Now and forever...

• Admin
  • 29,826 posts
Really? I think it's a fad that will pass. Not that geeky stuff will ever go away or anything. I just think it'll go back to being a subculture thing again.

Or maybe it's a generational thing.

NumberSix

NumberSix

Content Provider Emeritus

• 29,736 posts
If and when San Diego finally (d)evolves to the point of giving up any remaining vestiges of smaller "geek cred" aspects such as comic books and indie films (especially if too many tens of thousands of commoners keep trying to join in the fray and suck up those already-impossible-to-score tickets), I can imagine a future where we see an expansion in the existing layer of anti-mainstream über-Geeks, comprised of those who feel disenfranchised about Hollywood usurping their mecca and focus on other, marginally smaller, therefore cooler-by-definition cons instead...by which I theoretically mean all other North American cons except San Diego. WonderCon, Emerald City, NYCC, C2E2, APE, SPX, Motor City Comic Con, the various superficial Wizard World shows, stuff going on in Baltimore, Orlando, Toronto, etc, etc.

I'm used to seeing this kind of grumbling online every year, but the mainstream media doesn't really care. Which I suppose is fine by the über-Geeks, really.

Edited by NumberSix, 15 September 2013 - 05:20 PM.

• R.CAllen +1 this

R.CAllen

R.CAllen

walking

• 4,048 posts
+1 for umlauts!

R.CAllen

R.CAllen

walking

• 4,048 posts
P.S. I also agree with what you said and can imagine that future and wish for it to come speedily and in our days

Cerina

Cerina

Now and forever...

• Admin
  • 29,826 posts
Ah. Yes. That makes more sense. That'll probably happen.

Driver

Driver

Tank

• Supporters
  • 6,591 posts
You have to keep in mind that superhero movies aren't a flash in the pan that is going away. While I personally think they are getting formulaic, you have to look at them in the same way Star Wars was in 1977. Star Wars changed cinema to the effect of high concept genre films becoming the go to for big blockbusters. That's been the norm pretty much ever since. Over 30 years in fact. In some ways superhero films are an extension of that, but in another way, they are their own thing. Studios have discovered the wealth of material they can option within geek culture be it comics, cartoons, foreign imports, indie stuff or whatever else.

Comic-con has grown to match the interest, but it has been growing to be the primary con of cons for long time. None of these things simply go away. There's no bubble to burst. I don't see people turning their backs on superhero films and Hollywood leaving comic-con alone. The other aspect of it, is that pop culture now drives Hollywood, and you don't have a bigger concentration of people into pop culture than you at a con, so even from a marketing aspect, the studios know that these are their people.
  • Ryn +1 this

Ryn

Ryn

Moonshadow

• Moderators
  • 28,537 posts

I don't think it's a bubble that's going to burst given that 80% of Hollywood films are now based on the retro pop culture that has been celebrated at cons for decades.

Even Shogun Warriors.

Ms. Spam

Ms. Spam

MS.

• 17,390 posts
I miss the Con. I hope it does decline a little because I'd like to be able to go.

Reply to this topic