NBA 2013 - 2014 Season

Ms. Spam

What a game!

Portland torched the best defense in the NBA, that's definitely something they can hang their hats on. Indiana just couldn't get stops in the 4th. I hate to lose winnable games (especially when you'd be stealing them: second game of a back to back, on the west coast, against a terrific team), but it was nice to see Paul George drop 43 lol.

I started feeling tepid about Indiana's chances after they had that 8 point lead late in the third, then Portland when on like an 18-6 run over the next what seemed like 2 hours. They did a great job responding to that run.

I honestly can't remember a regular season game I've liked this much, like... ever!

I loved how unselfish Portland was with the ball. I loved Indiana's defense and the crazy determination and talent of George. I loved how the referees didn't stop play over the little stuff, and I loved how much both teams obviously wanted this victory and just went all-out for it. You just don't see this kinda stuff in the NBA in December. I can't wait to see Indiana in the playoffs. Whoo hoo!

[Edit: Imagine a pic here that shows Paul George, Kevin Durant, and Eric Bledsoe & includes the caption "Bleacher Report Power Rankings". It was here, for realz, but for some reason NN then said it was "not allowed".]

I would just like to say how awesome I think it is that a Sun is even in this photo, given the topic. Incidentally, the Suns cracked the Top Ten, moving up from #11 to #9. Meanwhile, Pong's Blazers gave way to Gar's Pacers as the new #1 on the list.

I didn't get to see last Tuesday's game because I was at work. But tonight's game was hard fought. They need to stop lying saying that this game didn't really mean anything to them. Played like it meant something.

On another note, it is so good having Doug Collins back on the mic. Not that I don't like Van Gundy, I do, but I tire of his analysis of every foul call. He sounds like the guy sitting next to you at the game who won't shut up with his "thoughts".

• 3 weeks later...

Since saving over $20 million wasn't enough incentive for the Lakers, this happened today...

Andrew Bynum and Draft Picks Traded to Chicago Bulls for Luol Deng

Since the Cavs were willing to throw in all these draft picks now, but apparently weren't willing to do so for LA, I have to think it means they're hopeful of extending Deng, but were not so for Gasol. Otherwise, they could have just released Bynum themselves.

He's the Albert Haynesworth of the NBA. At least the Cavs were smarter than Daniel Snyder.

Here's a couple of interesting details on the trade that I just found in another article...

The Bulls acquired the right to the Sacramento Kings’ first-round pick, which is top-12 protected in 2014, top-10 protected from 2015-17 and then becomes a second-round pick if not used by then, and two second-round picks the Cavaliers had acquired from the Trail Blazers in 2015 and 2016.
Also, the Bulls have the right to swap their own 2015 first-round pick with the Cavaliers only in the case the Cleveland pick is between 15 and 30.

• 2 weeks later...

So, yeah...this is what the Suns wore in their game tonight. Apparently, it was a time-saving move, since as soon as they were done playing the Mavericks, they had to rush straight to the YMCA for a rec league tournament...

http://tdclique.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/IMG_3223.jpg

Spurs/Blazers last night was super entertaining.

I know Barkley has been complaining about how painful the NBA is to watch this season, with all the bad/dysfunctional teams out there; this game served as a reminder of how good the NBA can be when you have two talented teams just throwing everything they have at one another.

And I'm guessing that it didn't hurt that the Trailblazers won. ;)

Oh, definitely not. But this was one of those games that you just can't be upset with either way. The Spurs took it seriously and had some players in who probably should have taken the night off, and they played their tails off all game. Same with the Blazers. That's two regular season games I've seen this year with that level of play and intensity. I would have been happy if the Spurs had won, too (just a little less happy).

• 2 weeks later...

Man, last night's game was a welcome distraction! The Suns had some momentum and had already beat the Pacers just over a week ago, so I expected them to hang tough. However, though I knew we had a chance, I can't exactly say I expected to win. It was the fourth road game in five days, it was the second of a back-to-back, and not only is Indy the best defensive team in the league, they'd only lost once before at home. I think last night's game says more about the Suns than it does the Pacers. The Pacers will be fine, but the Suns continue to develop and continue to prove themselves.

Last night's win capped a perfect four game road trip, pushing their record to 28-18. That's sixth best in the West, would be the third best record in the East, and is already three more games than we won all of last year. Oh, and Eric Bledsoe - arguably our best player - has missed 22 games and counting. During that time, the Suns are actually 12-10. Overall, there have been some real quality games by the team, too. We've beat Indy twice, the Blazers twice, the Clippers, the Rockets, and went down to the wire with OKC, despite losing Dragic halfway through. Not sure how far this season will go, but I sure am enjoying the ride! :cool:

For months, I've been hearing about Phoenix possibly trading for Asik, from sources local, in Houston, and national. I get why Houston wants to get rid of him: next year he'll be a vastly overpaid ($15M) backup. What I don't understand is why the Suns would possibly want him. At best, he'd be a mild upgrade over Miles Plumlee. Plumlee is younger, far cheaper, and probably has more upside. Even if he never becomes more than a solid starter (which he already is), they took Alex Len with the 5th pick, so they obviously have long term hopes for him.

Not to mention that money is needed for more important things, like signing a free agent or locking up Eric Bledsoe. There's already doubt as to whether the Suns will be able to afford both Bledsoe and Dragic. Solving that little dilemma is far more important than picking up someone else's mistake.

The rumors about Pau Gasol make make more sense, but I still have my doubts. Though the Suns have a girth of draft picks, it still equates to a three month rental. I've seen it mentioned that the Suns will also then have Gasol's Larry Bird rights. So? Gasol makes an insane $19M and though he shouldn't get that much in the summer, he's still likely to seek more than he's worth at this point. So being able to offer more than other teams isn't really much incentive.

So, it's all about this year, then. The Suns are already on track for the playoffs. To have actual title hopes would still be a long shot and even then would require Gasol and Bledsoe to get healthy and to do so in time for the team to gel before the playoffs start. More likely, the upside of such a trade would be losing in the second round, instead of the first. The team may have more 1st round picks than they really need now, but I'm not convinced they couldn't be used better some other way.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.