NBA 2013 - 2014 Season

Ms. Spam

I know how you feel! Last night's game was one of the most fun Suns games in a long time (in part due to ex-Pacer Miles Plumlee!). Loving the young nucleus. I know it was just one game and that the rest of the season probably won't go nearly as well, but it's great to have something to be excited about again. To have hope, again. The recent past (especially last season) has been painful - not just because we were losing, but because there was no light down the tunnel, either. None at all.

We now have a really good starting back court (Dragic & Bledsoe actually work quite well together) and that will hopefully turn into a really good trio by next year, if Goodwin can build on some of the promise he's shown. In his first pro start, Plumlee looked at least as good as Gortat (who was very Nash-dependent) did in any game last year. We won't get that from him every night, I know, but I think he'll do well and Len will be able to slowly develop as his backup (Okafor can take all the time in the world to recover from injury, as far as I'm concerned).

That just leaves the forwards. I like both Frye and Tucker (the Morris brothers are equal parts enjoyable and frustrating, but just got their options picked up, so here's hoping). None of them are really ideal starters, but we have (possibly) four 1st round picks next year and a bunch of cap space to try and fill those two holes. The tunnel is slowly getting less dark! :yes:

Plumlee will get his, to be sure, but I think that will largely be a product of who he's playing with. :)

I don't say that negatively, just remember that he scored more points last night than he did in all of 2012-2013. He's a career backup most likely. But hey, good to find those guys early. Especially a year before you have three or four first round picks coming up.

I hear you. I think he can become a serviceable starter, though. Remember, there's something to be said for experience, too. True, he didn't do much for Indy last year - but he was also on the court for them for only about an hour combined over the course of the entire season. I like his footwork, his effort. He even showed some good post moves (especially for such an undeveloped player). He obviously needs to keep working and has a long way to go, but he's got a great opportunity right now. Hopefully he makes the most of it.

Speaking of things paying off, I really hope that this doesn't come back to bite the Suns in the ass, just when that tunnel started getting brighter.

Eh. I wouldn't worry. He's restricted which means if the Suns don't want him to go anywhere, then he's not going anywhere. Plus, we're not even sure Bledsoe isn't a JAG at this point, I'm pretty much against extending guys like that pre-deadline anyway- even if that means you'll overpay matching someone's RFA offer.

That's pretty cool, Gar. Definitely have to delve into that a bit...when I have a bit more time to spare. lol

Meanwhile, I just want to say how awesome it is to be excited about Suns games again! And how my "liking" Eric Bledsoe is quickly turning into love! There hasn't been much to really feel good about as a Suns fan for a few years. This year's 2-0 start was actually the first time we've even managed that much in four years. And though we lost to OKC, well, it was OKC. A healthy OKC, at that, as Westbrook was back. Meanwhile, we played most of the second half without Dragic (ankle) and yet held the lead until about halfway through the fourth. In fact, it was a two point game with thirty seconds left.

They were largely that close because of Bledsoe (26pts, 14ast, 7reb, 3stl). This big night came on the heels of his game against Utah, in which he scored 14 points in the final four minutes, including a game-winning trey with 0.7 seconds left. He's been even better than I'd hoped and he's not the only pleasant surprise, either. This team has a number of new acquisitions that are contributing (though, mystifyingly, both of our 1st round picks were DNP-CDs last night). If things continue like this, we may suddenly go from looking forward to the draft to an actual playoff push already this season. To quote Pong: :eek:

Pacers are 5-0. Paul George is a super star. They have the league's best defense. Roy Hibbert is averaging 5 blocks per game. Lance has a green light (and Good Lance is better than Bad Lance is bad). Bench looks improved. I like.

They beat the Bulls by 17, without their starting point guard, and on the second night of a back-to-back. Hoo-ah.

Ugh. First definitive loss for the Suns that also happens to sink us below .500 (5-6) and it comes at the hands of the Kings. We looked lethargic for the first 43 minutes or so and by the time guys started showing signs of life, it was too late. Still, going into last night, the Suns were the only team in the NBA to hold a lead in the 4th quarter of every game. Our first five losses were by a total of 15 points, including down-to-the-wire losses at OKC, at San Antonio, and an at the buzzer overtime loss to a talent loaded Nets team. Not to mention that in every one of our losses, we've been without either Goran Dragic or Eric Bledsoe.

Not bad for a team that so many journalists had labeled as "in the tank" (some even after the season had started). Despite the sudden losing streak, I've seen nothing to change my belief that if they can get healthy, the Suns should be contending for a playoff spot. They're playing defense (11th points allowed, 7th FG% allowed), making steals (7th), and even blocking some shots (12th). Meanwhile, they're the top fast-breaking team in the league and 8th in treys. With so many new pieces, I'm expecting (hoping for) the assist to turnover ratio to improve as the team gains some chemistry. The biggest weakness I see that won't be fixed by a healthy Dragic and Bledsoe is rebounding. Second chance points may continue to haunt us, I'm afraid.

It is scary that right now there are 3 teams in the eastern conference above .500. Now as the season goes along things will even out and it won't look as bad, but you assess what is going on now and it wouldn't surprise me if there is a 10 game gap between the 2 and 3 seeds in the east.

Personally I think most of these teams know that Miami doesn't give full effort against the poor teams so they are all sucking to have a shot. No......didn't think so.

Sorry, usage. Here's the best lay-definition I could find:

Although the formula itself looks a bit more complicated, the basic idea is to look at a player's combination of field goal attempts, free throw attempts and turnovers, and find the percentage of the team totals he uses in those same categories.

MJ has a career USG% of 33, Kobe 31, players like Bird and Kareem were in the high 20s.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.