NBA 2013 - 2014 Season

Ms. Spam

Dr. J would have a hard time making any sensible top 10 list. Somewhere between 14-18 is probably right.

Russell, Jordan, Magic, Bird, Wilt, Kareem, Duncan, Kobe, Jerry West, Big O, Hakeem, Shaq, Moses Malone, Lebron are all definitely in the discussion before Dr. J. That's 13 names. Then you've got guys like Havlicek, Petit, Baylor, and even Barkley and K. Malone in there too about with Erving.

I mean you're parsing things to 'hate on' Dr. J, but when you're talking about the upper part of the upper echelon... that happens. I think I'd have him 15th.

I think Elgin has to be ahead of him. I'd have Hondo too for sure.

If anything i think the Doctors reputation is higher than deserved. But I grew up on Long Island where he played his best ball so maybe he has a bigger legacy around here than nationally.

I like Dr. J quite a bit but he played in the heyday golden age of shorty short shorts playing basketball players. I'd be hard pressed to make it so that he's in the top ten with so many stellar players that have played in the decades of the NBA's since he played. In the 90s he was inducted into the HoF and he also named to the NBA's 50th Anniversary All Time Team. I think as time passes you do fall down in ranking, but it makes me sad that when comparisons of who has won a ring many Spurs players are left out of this and that Dr. J only had one ring.

20 greatest players in NBA history:

Isiah thomas

Joe Dumars

Chauncey Billups

Bill Laimbeer

Dennis Rodman

John Salley

Vinnie Johnson

Adrian Dantley

James Edwards

Rasheed Wallace

Ben Wallace

Rip Hamilton

Rick Mahorn

Kelly Tripucka

John Long

Dave DeBusschere

Kent Benson

Greg Kelser

Mehmet Okur

Tayshaun Prince

Case closed.

• 2 weeks later...

20 greatest players in NBA history:

Isiah thomas

Joe Dumars

Chauncey Billups

Bill Laimbeer

Dennis Rodman

John Salley

Vinnie Johnson

Adrian Dantley

James Edwards

Rasheed Wallace

Ben Wallace

Rip Hamilton

Rick Mahorn

Kelly Tripucka

John Long

Dave DeBusschere

Kent Benson

Greg Kelser

Mehmet Okur

Tayshaun Prince

Case closed.

Reasonable list.

Met, I thought of you the second I heard they took him back. Unfortunately (for me), I heard it from Skip Bayless, who called it a "genius move" by Pat Riley. I'm more inclined to agree with Stephen A. Smith's take: if you can't stay out of trouble in Phoenix or Minneapolis, good luck staying out of trouble in South Beach. Maybe the lower pressure on him this time and all the vets on the team will help Riley keep him in line this time. I'd be surprised, though, because after all of this, Beasley still hasn't shown much humility, maturity, or real desire to turn things around (on or off the court).

• 1 month later...

Apparently some Laker fans are whining about the fact that the Clippers are now covering the Laker banners during Clipper home games. I would've done it a long time ago, personally. I mean, at those times, it is their stadium. I guess they didn't feel confident enough doing it before they were L.A.'s clear-cut best team.

I don't know, I always kind of liked 2-3-2. :shrug:

Anywho, we'll miss you Hammer...

Reports: Suns trade Gortat to Wizards in package deal

...however, the sound of this makes me feel much better:

The Suns could have as many as four first-round picks in the 2014 draft, as they hold their own as well as protected picks from the Wizards (reportedly), the Timberwolves (top-13 protected) and the Pacers (lottery-protected).

So, it's now offical. The one thing I don't get is that it used to always be spelled out in these announcements what happened if a protected pick ended up, well, protected (i.e. top 10 this year, top 15 next year, unprotected the third year, etc). If nothing else is stated and the protected pick ends up falling in the protected range, is it just assumed that it then becomes an unprotected pick the following year? :confused:

Just read the Finals are going back to a 2-2-1-1-1 format. Good news.
Very happy about this. Don't consider any of the 2-3-2 finals "real." Can start keeping records again.

They also need to, at the very least, shorten the first round back to 5 games (personally, I'd prefer 3 games, and 5 for the semis). I love playoff basketball, but damn it went on forever last year.

Finally... so many teams I'm looking forward to seeing this year. Parity in its usual form is ... not good ... for the NBA. But a bit more parity in the form of lots of talented, exciting teams coming together is a very, very good thing.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.