NBA 2013 - 2014 Season

Ms. Spam

I'll kind of miss the Bobcats scheme, as I've been a fan and been cheering on their (hopeful) success someday...but the return of the Old color scheme, should they use it, will be neat! What is New Olreans going to use color scheme-wise?if it has been said, I missed it.

• 2 weeks later...

And let's not forget, Mike Miller had a couple good games down the stretch but it shouldn't be overstated either.

If you'd have told a Heat fan in March that Mike Miller was going to be playing 22 important minutes a night from G7 of the ECF to G7 of the NBAF, their reaction would have been something along the lines of "Oh ****. Why?" He wasn't even an average player this past season, definitely replaceable- and like Met covered it saved them lots of money under the tax system.

• 2 weeks later...

It's not often that I change my opinion of a player after he's been around a few years. By then, I've generally seen & heard enough of/from him to form a fairly set opinion (whether it be good, bad, or indifferent). So, to start changing an opinion of a guy that has long been retired is, well - I'm pretty sure it's never happened to me, before. However, last week, I caught the second half of the NBA TV special on BIrd & Magic. Now, I was always a fairly big Magic fan when he was a player (considerably less so as a commentator).

Bird, though, always bugged me. I respected his ability, but never cared for his personality: cold, distant, arrogant. Watching this special, though, gave me a new insight into him. All of that other stuff was, it seems, was the way his intense drive appeared from the outside. I really enjoyed the special and found myself wishing I had watched the whole thing.

The very next morning, I was looking through my stuff for something new to read and came across a book I had bought for my father as a present, but never had a chance to give it to him before he passed away. The book? When The Game Was Ours, by Larry Bird and Earvin Johnson. Spooky stuff, man.

I'm now about 2/3 of the way through the book and it's been quite enjoyable getting a firsthand look into their rivalry, as well as the behind the scenes of the Lakers-Celtics rivalry. Of course, after reading so much more about and from Bird, I have to say - maybe I wasn't that far off about him, after all! He's beyond admirable as a competittor, but he really doesn't come across as the nicest guy. I spent many years disliking him. Then started kind of actually liking him. Now, I honestly don't know what I think about him. lol

Dammit, Magic! You managed to stay classy for all of five minutes before you had to go and say something stupid...

Bleacher Report

"Earlier this week, LeBron James named his top three NBA players of all time, which included Michael Jordan, Larry Bird and Julius Erving. The first player left off of LeBron's list was Magic Johnson, and today Magic took to Twitter to address his No. 4 ranking."

Earvin Magic Johnson ✔ @MagicJohnson

Lebron is entitled to his opinion, but I still think that he and I have a similar game and that’s why I LOVE to watch him play!

11:30 AM - 22 Aug 2013

Earvin Magic Johnson ✔ @MagicJohnson

NBA Championship rings are all that matter; Jordan 6, Me 5, Bird 3, LeBron 2 and Dr. J 1.

11:35 AM - 22 Aug 2013

The problem of course, Earvin, is that you yourself are tied for 14th among players with rings. And if that's "all that matters", then guys like your former teammate Kareem and a boatload of Celtics from the 50's and 60's were all better than you. Hell, it's not even like Kareem wasn't a great, great player in his own right, either. Or Cousy. Or Bill Russell.

It's funny, because this morning I was just reading quotes from him lamenting how when he was coaching the Lakers, none of the players seemed to have respect for the great players of the past. Well, there were some pretty damn great players before the 80's, too.

I noticed how LeBron had to start his list 3 different times before getting to anyone other than Jordan. That list was Jordan...... and two other guys because you asked.

I think Magic's tweet was nothing more than a playful barb for getting "snubbed." He and LeBron have a great relationship.

And at least rings mean something in the NBA where one player plays offense and defense and can singularly determine the outcome of games. They are a fair tie breaker of sorts when you're dealing with the all-time greats.

I think Magic's tweet was nothing more than a playful barb for getting "snubbed."

I hope so. It's certainly possible, I suppose. We've all seen how sarcasm doesn't always translate well in text. :shrug:

And The Doctor certainly belongs pretty damn high up on the list, I'd say. I might not personally put him up quite that high, but if you think it's clueless to even bring him into the discussion, I'd say you're selling him short. He was far more than just an elite scorer. He was a good distributor, given his position and role. As a 6'6" SG/SF, his rebounding and shot blocking was frickin' great. He retired as the all-time leader in steals. He led his team to multiple championships.

He was an all-around great who inspired young players all over, in the same way Jordan later would. If pro basketball had been as popular in Dr. J's day, his lasting impact ("legacy") would've been even greater.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.