NBA 2013 - 2014 Season

Ms. Spam

Andy Glockner on Twitter just pointed out that before paying a single guard this coming season the Knicks are committed to a 4-man frontcourt for 68 million bucks, which is 10 mil over next year's cap number. Yikes.

With the future in flux, you might as well try to do something for this season and next- even if it means overpaying to do it.

The Knicks have more money than God, the money don't matter. They are already over the lux tax, so whats the difference? The key is to not add salary far into the future after Amare and Chandlers contracts expire.

Amare, Melo and Chandlers deals are all up at the end of the 2014-15 season. In fact right now the only 2 players the Knicks are committed to for the 2015-16 season are felton and Novak and this deal gets rid of Novak. Bargnani's contract ends at the end of 2014-15 too.

So basically you try to make the most out of these next 2 years and then when those guys deals are all up, you start over. In fact considering we are giving up Novak in this deal, the long term cap implications for the Knicks are actually positive.

I've seen the Pacers linked to both Tony Allen and OJ Mayo (who Bird has been pursuing for like 3 years at this point) today. Re-signing David West will put the team over the cap, but I guess they could still use the MLE on either guy (both of whom made less than the MLE last year).

The Knicks have more money than God, the money don't matter. They are already over the lux tax, so whats the difference?

Well, the difference is that the system changed for this season. It's no longer just dollar-for-dollar and the higher you go over the threshold, the tougher the penalty. If they stay in the $10-15M over range, they'll be paying (up to) $2.50/per dollar. If they go higher than $15M over, some of that shoots up to $3.25/dollar. Sure, if a team is able & willing to live with that, it's no sweat to us. I'm just saying there is, in fact, a difference.

As for Dirk, not only is he the heart of that team and a huge fan favorite, he's the one being used to sell Howard on Dallas. I can't see him going anywhere.

The Knicks have more money than God, the money don't matter. They are already over the lux tax, so whats the difference?

Well, the difference is that the system changed for this season. It's no longer just dollar-for-dollar and the higher you go over the threshold, the tougher the penalty. If they stay in the $10-15M over range, they'll be paying (up to) $2.50/per dollar. If they go higher than $15M over, some of that shoots up to $3.25/dollar. Sure, if a team is able & willing to live with that, it's no sweat to us. I'm just saying there is, in fact, a difference.

As for Dirk, not only is he the heart of that team and a huge fan favorite, he's the one being used to sell Howard on Dallas. I can't see him going anywhere.

I don't care how much money little Jimmy Dolan has to shell out.

He wants Hedo!

As far as the luxury tax it will be interesting to see what teams will do. Micky Arison said he has no problem paying the luxury tax as long as the Heat are title contenders. I see the Heat doing their best to keep Lebron and Bosh. After 2014 a lot of "bad" contracts come off the books anyways. Will the Nets keep shelling out cash to be a 4th seed?

He wants Hedo!

As far as the luxury tax it will be interesting to see what teams will do. Micky Arison said he has no problem paying the luxury tax as long as the Heat are title contenders. I see the Heat doing their best to keep Lebron and Bosh. After 2014 a lot of "bad" contracts come off the books anyways. Will the Nets keep shelling out cash to be a 4th seed?

It's worth it to the Nets to be at least pretty good in Broolyn for the first few years.

Bargnani could be a very interesting fit for the Knicks in that he's a big who can shoot and help spread the floor. Earlier in his career he shot over 37% from downtown on 3 occassions and once over 40%. He's gotten worse the last few years from long range but thats not normal. I doubt he's lost his stroke. My guess is that the Raptors were asking him to do too much. The Knicks likely won't. He obviously isn't the #1 scoring option. If he can get his 3F% back to that 37% range, he could be a huge add for the Knicks.

They really aren't in bad shape for the future.

They should deal Gortat (expiring contract) for assets, preferably a future 1st rounder. Continue to suck this coming year and land a top 5 pick in a positively loaded draft. They've only got $19M on the books for 2015. It ain't so bad.

Pacers rumored to be interested in Chris Copeland from the Knicks, and there's apparently mutual interest. He would go a long way to helping the bench scoring. How was his D, Choc?

Pacers have also apparently agreed to terms (or have come close to agreeing) with CJ Watson for the backup PG spot. That move is reasonable. There's no way he'll be as bad as Augustin was this year.

Pacers rumored to be interested in Chris Copeland from the Knicks, and there's apparently mutual interest. He would go a long way to helping the bench scoring. How was his D, Choc?

I don't think he knows what D stands for. But he can definitely score.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.