Tennis

Darth Lohr

It's been a cracker! I was lucky enough to get tickets in the ballot for day 1 on centre, so saw Federer, Sharapova and Murray in action I was well pleased about!

As for Murray, ever since his win during the Olympics, he has gone on from strength to strength. Him and Djoko will have a good few battles to come!

• 1 month later...

I really hope I'm wrong, but I had an odd feeling today that I was watching Roger's final match. He just seems so different. Not the confident, even-keeled great that just keeps rolling on, quietly fighting (and usually winning) until the end. Sure, he still made some great plays and he didn't exactly roll over. Still, it's starting to increasingly look like he may now be one of those players that does well enough at the minor tournaments to earn a decent ranking, but is no longer a true Grand Slam threat. And if that is really true (or even if he believes it's true), I can see him hanging it up. I think he's the kind to go out while he's still at least near the top. I can't see him hanging on just for the sake of it.

Then again, maybe this is just some sort of lull and he'll eventually shake it and "the old Roger" will re-emerge to give us another four or five years of top level tennis. One can only hope.

4 or 5 years is a little (well, a LOT) ambitious, but I think he's got another season or two. He just switched rackets, moving to a larger face, and has spent a majority of the hard court season experimenting with the new one. He was never going to do that well in the US Open, though a 4th round loss is a little underwhelming. If things break right for him he could win Wimbledon or the US next year, but I unfortunately believe that he's done being a threat in every major he plays.

Novak's in! He had to work slightly harder today, though, than the last time I saw him. Last week, I caught him in action in the fourth round and it took him just 78 minutes to get past Granollers. Today against Wawrinka, it took 21 minutes just to get through a single game (third game, fifth set). And he lost that one.

Now, though, he gets to (in his words) "kick back, eat some popcorn, and watch the TV" to see who he plays. Since rain has pushed everything back and the final will be on Monday, now I just have to hope I can catch that, too.

So, Lohr, did you get to see the Final today?

Kind of. (And thanks for asking!). By the time I started watching, it was pretty much over. Nadal was up two sets to one and Novak didn't really stand much of a chance in the fourth. No real doubt who was going to win this one after about ten minutes of watching (which is why I mostly watched football).

Nadal now has 13 Slams to Roger's 17.

I think he needs to get to 20 in order to sell me as the GOAT. Especially because if he gets to 20, half of them are going to come on one surface. And he'll still never match the consistency of Federer at his peak. 23 straight Semi-Finals, 18 of 19 Finals in a row, 36 straight QF or better, 5 multi-slam years.

Novak gave up the championship after he lost the 3rd set after leading 3-1. That set was so impressive to watch.

Ugh. Missed that part. I really hope Roger can manage at least one more. His legacy is obviously well established either way, but I'd love for him to send one more reminder to everyone of his greatness now that the Age of Federer, Djovovic, & Nadal has slowly become just the Age of Djovovic & Nadal.

Don't count out Murray yet either. Poor Murray, who's probably one of the top 15 best (most talented) tennis players of all time, should never have such a hard time winning majors. It's not his fault he's playing against three of the top 10!

I think Roger will have a shot at both Wimbledon and the US next year. He'll probably need a break or two along the way (e.g., one of the top 3 getting upset), but it's totally possible. I would love for him to get another one, a "last" one, where we'll know and be able to properly acknowledge it.

• 1 year later...

http://i.guim.co.uk/img/static/sys-images/Guardian/Pix/pictures/2015/7/11/1436650763006/Martina-Hingis-left-and-S-009.jpg?w=300&q=85&auto=format&sharp=10&s=0ff4887bcdc430f59adb0ff6b7a39e17

Very happy for Martina Hingis! She's one of my all-time favs and I was always sad that she had to retire. To come back at 34 and win a Major is a huge accomplishment, even if it is doubles. I wish I could have seen some of her (their) run at Wimbledon. Hopefully, I'll get another chance.

Plus, she's still hot!!! :eek:

http://www.arabiangazette.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/martina-hingis-dubai-tennis-429x600.jpg

Now, if we can just keep the Swiss magic going and Roger can win tomorrow!!! Man, I miss ESPN. :no:

OK, that sucked. I did end up catching most of the match on tape delay, only to be severely disappointed. I am happy for Novak, but still...meh. :(

Although, this was cool...

http://www.wtatennis.com/javaImages/c/3f/0,,12781~13844236,00.jpg

After not having won a Grand Slam of any type since 2006 (which included seven years of retirement), she's now won three of them this year alone (mixed doubles in Australia and both the doubles and mixed doubles this weekend). She's still looking for an Olympic medal - and she's asked Roger to be her partner in Rio next year. That would be so f'n awesome, it would actually get me to watch mixed doubles! lol

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.