Welcome to Nightly.Net
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

'Batman in Justice League' options

batman nightwing superman man of steel nolan justice league christian bale joseph gordon-levitt justice league movie

43 replies to this topic

Poll: How to handle Batman in future movies (20 member(s) have cast votes)

How does Nolan's cinematic Batman universe tie into Justice League?

1. Christian Bale only (2 votes [10.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 10.00%

2. Joseph Gorgon-Levitt only (3 votes [15.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 15.00%

3. Neither, recast Batman (10 votes [50.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 50.00%

4. Batman (Bale) and Robin/Nightwing (Gordon Levitt) BOTH in Justice League (5 votes [25.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 25.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

Driver

Driver

Tank

• Supporters
  • 6,591 posts
Yeah, but most of those are ancillary characters, or, have entire events based around defeating them. The only ones on that list that are regular a-listers are Hulk and Mr. fantastic, both of whom have exactly the neurotic issues I'm talking about. On the DC side, most all their a listers fit the bill.

Edited by Driver, 30 June 2013 - 10:11 AM.

Exodus

Exodus

Making This Sh*t Cool Again

• 27,292 posts
Reed and Batman are kind of similar, except Reed is more scientist and Batman is more detective. What Batman lacks in super powers like Reed has, he makes up for with fighting technique.

But anyway...NO MORE BATMAN ORIGIN MOVIES. I've had it. Two Batman origins. Two Spiderman origins. Two Superman origins. About to get another Fantastic Four origin too. Just make the best going forward with what's already there. Don't waste time/resources retelling his origin. Ugh.

"More opportunities to make the moneys!"

No!
  • Darth Lohr +1 this

Darth Krawlie

Darth Krawlie

privileged ****lord

• Moderators
  • 34,380 posts
The most recent Hulk film, while not particularly financially successful, proved you can make a superhero movie without an origin story. Yeah, I'm done with those on the super well established heroes.
  • Ryn and Darth Lohr +1 this

El Chalupacabra

El Chalupacabra

wearing out welcome since 2009

• Supporters
  • 8,625 posts

Yeah, but most of those are ancillary characters, or like athanor or aphrodisiac, have entire events based around defeating them. The only ones on that list that are regular a-listers are Hulk and Mr. fantastic, both of whom have exactly the neurotic issues I'm talking about. On the DC side, most all their a listers fit the bill.

I absolutely agree DC gets silly with their characters...IE no one is allowed to be able to beat Superman. For example, the DC solution to have someone able to pound Superman's face into hamburger is, well, Superboy Prime (Superman from another universe) or Doomsday (DC's version of the Hulk...who happens to be from Krypton), or Sodam Yat (a Daxamite Green Lantern with essentially all superman's powers, a power ring, and ION power...I guess making him Super-Duper Man by default) . But barring a few exceptions, Supes can't be beat by anyone, even when they have power levels that SHOULD beat him. It's like there is a taboo that can't be violated in beating Superman.

I was just saying that there are examples where Marvel does the same thing. Maybe most aren't A-listers, like DC, but in stead of some magic green rock, their Kryptonite usually is some equally lame Deus Ex Machina of some subconscious issue of not wanting to really win, or overlooking some minute, yet obvious detail, despite being some super, god-like intellectual.

Driver

Driver

Tank

• Supporters
  • 6,591 posts
Can I just say I had the best autocorrect typo ever with that?
  • El Chalupacabra +1 this

Exodus

Exodus

Making This Sh*t Cool Again

• 27,292 posts
Hasn't Lobo beaten the everloving snot out of Superman before?

Now THERE is a character I'd like to see fleshed out on the big screen.

El Chalupacabra

El Chalupacabra

• Supporters
  • 8,625 posts

Hasn't Lobo beaten the everloving snot out of Superman before?

Now THERE is a character I'd like to see fleshed out on the big screen.

He's immortal and a better fighter, but not stronger or faster, plus as the tired excuse usually goes "Supes was holding back" and he can just take a dip in the sun.

Lobo would be a good villain, though.

Justus

Justus

• 13,058 posts

I mean do we really have to have origin movies for each and every hero introduced in the Justice League. We all know where Batman and Superman came from. Sheesh! I would love to see a movie where they just go ahead and assemble the team in movie with minimal origin explanation, if any at all. I thought the first Xmen movie and the Watchmen did just fine as standalone movies without worrying too much about origins. In fact, we know where Supes and Bats came from, and the rest of the JL team's origins can be told in movie, in about 10 minutes or less, each.

But the rest of the Leage are not B or C list players (think Hawkeye or Black Widow)--they deserve more than a random intro.

I say just use Henry Cavill as Superman since the MOS movie just came out, but then get a new Bruce Wayne Batman, a new Green Lantern (hell, be ballsy and use John Stewart or Kyle Rayner instead)

Yeah, I voted for a new Batman. Bale was too brooding to tolerate for another second, and whoever thinks twerpy JGL would be good in the role (they are out there) needs new eyes...and a good taste transplant.

GL...well, yeah, a new actor is necessary, but I would like to see Hal Jordan again--just played like the adult he's supposed to be. If he's a hit in the JL movie, perhaps he will get his own film (no origin needed at that point), where John Stewart is introduced in a supporting role, but no pushing his selection as the next GL. Save that for a JL sequel whn Hal is damn near killed, and a Lantern's power is crucial to a problem (with no other active GLs in the sector).

Captain Marvel deserves his own movie and like Martian Manhunter, when you have Supes around, you don't need another super strong guy in tights that can fly around.

Agreed; Captain Marvel should be treated as a one-time event. If he works, fine. If not, he has no connection to the rest of the DC films.

El Chalupacabra

El Chalupacabra

• Supporters
  • 8,625 posts

But the rest of the Leage are not B or C list players (think Hawkeye or Black Widow)--they deserve more than a random intro.

Well, as far as I am concerned Batman, Green Lantern, and Supes are taken care of already.

Supes just was done, so he can directly tie in.

Bats, well, he has had 7 movies, and a long-lived animated series for people to be well-enough acquainted for him not to need an origin movie.

As far as Green Lantern, I still think a differnet GL is needed, and I vote for John Stewart. Make him the Green Lantern assigned to the Justice League, and Hal Jordan the one assigned to the Earth Sector 2814. However, if they use Hal Jordan for the Justice League movie, just simply recast him, or not. Whatever they do, just make Hal Jordan act more like an adult, as you say, and no origin movie needed. Hulk essentially had two origin movies prior to Avengers, and they still recast him, and it worked out fine. GL could recieve the same treatment: use the last GL movie as the origin, but take the character in a different direction.

As for Flash, Wonder Woman, Aquaman, and Martian Manhunter, okay maybe of those 4, Flash deserves an origin movie out of any of them. Some may argue WW, too, but I disagree. Wonder Woman can get away with a "Black Widow treatment" and, in fact, Wonder Woman's origin could be done in flashbacks in a Justice League movie, maybe even making her part of the reason the Justice League is formed in the first place, too. Basically, kill 2 birds with one stone: WW origin AND a JL origin at the same time.

Aquaman is kind of lame, and unless it is a movie done mostly under water, he is pretty useless, so I would prefer him not used at all. If they do use him, though, he needs to be just a background character, ready at a moment's notice to sick a pack of wild sea horses on Darkseid.

Martian Manhunter isn't needed either, but at least he is more useful than Aquaman, and if written well, can be interesting. In fact, if MM doesn't have an origin movie, it makes him all the more mysterious. And as said elsewhere in this thread, the powers he has that Supes doesn't (IE Telepathy, invisibility, mind control, etc) should be emphasised, and the powers he shares with Supes, should be downplayed.

Yeah, I voted for a new Batman. Bale was too brooding to tolerate for another second, and whoever thinks twerpy JGL would be good in the role (they are out there) needs new eyes...and a good taste transplant.

Bale's Batman was OK for me, at least the first two movies. I don't care for the last one. But absolutely NO! to JGL. Bats needs to be Bruce Wayne. Period. And someone who can act with an ensemble. But I would also like to see someone able to play Batman that can embody the Timmverse Batman.

Agreed; Captain Marvel should be treated as a one-time event. If he works, fine. If not, he has no connection to the rest of the DC films.

Yeah, he needs his own movie for sure. In fact, I think his story could be one of the best superhero movies on film, EVER, if written intelligently. If Justice League does well, maybe introduce Captain Marvel in Justice League 2, but how many heavy hitters does the JL need? Captain Marvel would be best used if Superman was either away on a mission, or Superman was incapacitated somehow, and they needed Marvel to temporarily repalce Superman.

But if Superman, Captain Marvel, AND Martian Manhunter were in the same movie at the same time, not only would they need Air Traffic Control to manage things, but it cheapens each character, and could even overshadow the rest of the characters.

Edit:
Here's an idea: maybe split the Justice League team into two divisions, sort of like East Coast and West Coast Avengers, and assign Supes and Hal Jordan to one team, and Marvel and John Stewart to the other team.

Edited by El Chalupacabra, 01 July 2013 - 08:56 AM.

Darth Lohr

Darth Lohr

Voodoo Chile

• 16,969 posts
Eh, if the characters are well done, they'll do fine without origins. If they're well received, they can always have more of their story told in a solo film.

Phil_Muzza

Phil_Muzza

Excellence of Execution

• Members
  • 7,176 posts
I agree on not giving Wonder Woman an origin film, I can't imagine mayn people being interested in it. However, if they were to give Diana the Hulk treatment from Avengers and make her stand out and be cool then interest would definitely peak in a WW solo movie imo.

Just re-cast Batman, if the actor is good enough then go on to do further Batman films without the origin (a live action rendition of Mask of the Phantasm could be special).

Make a Green Lantern 2, as said it could be like Incredible Hulk, with a quick summing up of the origin then continue with a more serious tone (re-cast the role and set it mostly in space with no CGI bacon costumes).

The Flash needs an origin, I'd definitely prefer the Wally West version.
  • Ryn +1 this

Darth Krawlie

Darth Krawlie

privileged ****lord

• Moderators
  • 34,380 posts
Yeah, Wally's way more interesting than Barry.

Doc Brown

Doc Brown

A Good Person

• Members
  • 1,961 posts
My votes to take up the cowl:

Michael Fassbender
Karl Urban
  • Phil_Muzza +1 this

Phil_Muzza

Phil_Muzza

Excellence of Execution

• Members
  • 7,176 posts
I'd be completely on board with Karl Urban as Bruce!

The Human Torch

The Human Torch

zambingo

• Members
  • 34,069 posts
Idea

Set the Justice League in the future, just go all Justice League "Beyond". Let everything be all Blade Runnery and awesome. Cavill can still be Supes, salt and pepper his hair a bit. Bring in someone like James Brolin or [insert old ass bugger here] for an ancient Bruce Wayne. Old Bruce is the League's Nick Fury, the cog that provides the budget/tech et al.

We don't need to worry about continuity too much with the Nolanverse, but we can play lip service to it to appease it's fans. We don't need to worry about Cavill's Superman continuity because this is in the future. We can wink at Reynold's Green Lantern as a base for that character (loose ties make marketing-collector sets happy), but move on with whatever we want there... even a Last Airbender Lantern ;-) which is what it was essentially in the Batman Beyond cartoon.

There is so much that can be done just by moving forward in time.

The Human Torch

The Human Torch

zambingo

• Members
  • 34,069 posts
My son and I were gabbing geekily when we came to an idea of how to bring in an established Batman with a Cavill fronted Justice League (now that Bale is officially out).

Bring back Keaton. Play up that he is old and grey. Play extrmely loose and wink at the Burtonverse, but don't commit to everything there as canon here (Bond movies do this with epic success). Style wise push forward by melding the Burton Gotham with the Nolan Gotham. Still gothic, but real gothic. Old Bats is again (as above) the Nick Fury of the group, but it's in present continuity with Cavill's Superman (Marvelverse interwoven style). This Bats has existed for decades prior Superman appearing, tip of the hat style to the modern 52 origin (except stretching the time here). Stick with this Bats being a whispered, feared urban legend that really only gets thrust into the light because of these grand events that need a group of heroes.

Doing this (or something like it) allows us to have an established Bat Family in the wings. With the time passed Nightwing could be an adult already, Drake and Damian could even be name dropped etc. Basically we're saying, "**** has happened. You didn't have to see it." And then BAM! Exploding into JL-Awesomeness.

Mr. Winch

Mr. Winch

Be Mad. It Helps.

• 3,225 posts

Don't he and Barry have exactly the same origin in comics ?

El Chalupacabra

El Chalupacabra

• Supporters
  • 8,625 posts

Idea

Set the Justice League in the future, just go all Justice League "Beyond". Let everything be all Blade Runnery and awesome. Cavill can still be Supes, salt and pepper his hair a bit. Bring in someone like James Brolin or [insert old ass bugger here] for an ancient Bruce Wayne. Old Bruce is the League's Nick Fury, the cog that provides the budget/tech et al.

We don't need to worry about continuity too much with the Nolanverse, but we can play lip service to it to appease it's fans. We don't need to worry about Cavill's Superman continuity because this is in the future. We can wink at Reynold's Green Lantern as a base for that character (loose ties make marketing-collector sets happy), but move on with whatever we want there... even a Last Airbender Lantern ;-) which is what it was essentially in the Batman Beyond cartoon.

There is so much that can be done just by moving forward in time.

I don't know about a Justice League film, but I definitely would like to see a live action Batman Beyond film.
  • Cerina +1 this

Phil_Muzza

Phil_Muzza

Excellence of Execution

• Members
  • 7,176 posts

Don't he and Barry have exactly the same origin in comics ?

I meant the character. I always prefered Wally as the Flash than Barry.

Reply to this topic

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: batman, nightwing, superman, man of steel, nolan, justice league, christian bale, joseph gordon-levitt, justice league movie