Welcome to Nightly.Net
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

'Batman in Justice League' options

batman nightwing superman man of steel nolan justice league christian bale joseph gordon-levitt justice league movie

43 replies to this topic

Poll: How to handle Batman in future movies (20 member(s) have cast votes)

How does Nolan's cinematic Batman universe tie into Justice League?

1. Christian Bale only (2 votes [10.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 10.00%

2. Joseph Gorgon-Levitt only (3 votes [15.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 15.00%

3. Neither, recast Batman (10 votes [50.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 50.00%

4. Batman (Bale) and Robin/Nightwing (Gordon Levitt) BOTH in Justice League (5 votes [25.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 25.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

Exodus

Exodus

Making This Sh*t Cool Again

• 27,292 posts
So, we've got a seviceable Batman already - whether it be Bale or Gordon-Levitt, mostly because the backstory is already there and we have a good idea of what we'll be getting. Would you like to see one of these guys chosen, neither of them chosen, or both of them chosen? I think using both gets the explanation of one of the supporting cast members out of the way, and Robin/Nightwing wouldn't be a bad member to the team. That way, Batman isn't the only non-super powered team member...unless that's an aspect of bis role as a part of this team that is appealing to you.

What do you guys think about this one?

Darth Krawlie

Darth Krawlie

privileged ****lord

• Moderators
  • 34,383 posts
I'd prefer Bale, but I'm pretty positive they're going all new.

Metropolis

Metropolis

• 14,414 posts
My thing is if they recast Batman, does that mean they are going to reboot that series or will they go forward with a new actor? I mean heck with the seemingly need to continue with these superhero movies do we have a Spider-Man movie where in an alternate universe plot Toby Mcguire and Andrew Garfield are in the same movie?

Driver

Driver

Tank

• Supporters
  • 6,591 posts
I'm ready for a new live action Batman.

ShadowDog

ShadowDog

Supra-Awesome Badass PIE Pimp

• 42,592 posts
That's that Spiderman Reboot Logic there.

Driver

Driver

Tank

• Supporters
  • 6,591 posts
Well it IS too soon technically, but I'm in a minority that found Nolan's Bat movies just "okay." They weren't bad movies, but they were far from my favorite incarnation of Bats.
  • Brett and Ryn +1 this

R.CAllen

R.CAllen

walking

• 4,048 posts
Go for new. I recommend Jeff Hephner or Loren Dean or (extraordinary longshot this but would be worth it for the nerdsplosionoutrage) Blair Underwood.

P.S. "Joseph Gorgon-Levitt"!!!!
  • Exodus +1 this

NumberSix

NumberSix

Content Provider Emeritus

• 29,736 posts
Christian Bale doesn't strike me as an actor with a real career need to do ensemble pieces anymore.

The Human Torch

The Human Torch

zambingo

• Members
  • 34,069 posts
New Batman
New Green Lantern

I'd like a Batman that digs a sporty bat-mobile and a Green Lantern that doesn't wear bacon.
  • Ryn +1 this

Brett

Brett

• 1,976 posts
Yeah, new everything. I'm not too keen on a dark and brooding Justice League movie.

Exodus

Exodus

Making This Sh*t Cool Again

• 27,292 posts

Christian Bale doesn't strike me as an actor with a real career need to do ensemble pieces anymore.

With money, anything is possible.

El Chalupacabra

El Chalupacabra

wearing out welcome since 2009

• Supporters
  • 8,629 posts
I mean do we really have to have origin movies for each and every hero introduced in the Justice League. We all know where Batman and Superman came from. Sheesh! I would love to see a movie where they just go ahead and assemble the team in movie with minimal origin explanation, if any at all. I thought the first Xmen movie and the Watchmen did just fine as standalone movies without worrying too much about origins. In fact, we know where Supes and Bats came from, and the rest of the JL team's origins can be told in movie, in about 10 minutes or less, each.

I say just use Henry Cavill as Superman since the MOS movie just came out, but then get a new Bruce Wayne Batman, a new Green Lantern (hell, be ballsy and use John Stewart or Kyle Rayner instead). Sorry to break it to everyone but pretty much any hot actress with dark hair and attitude can be Wonder Woman... she doesn't do a lot except be the female bad ass with a body to look at, anyway, and no one cares who plays Aquaman. And Flash, well, he just runs around a lot, real fast, and I don't care if there is a Hawkman or a Martian Manhunter (who is redundant when you have Superman). Captain Marvel deserves his own movie and like Martian Manhunter, when you have Supes around, you don't need another super strong guy in tights that can fly around. The biggest thing I care about is just get a good actor who can fill the bat suit yet can work well with an ensemble cast, which Bale can't well do anyway, and be done with it.
  • Ryn +1 this

The Human Torch

The Human Torch

zambingo

• Members
  • 34,069 posts
Superman only makes Manhunter redundant if you write Manhunter that way. The problem is solved if you highlight Manhunter's shape shifting and telepathy over his stock Superman powers. Doing that allows Manhunter to bring a unique dynamic to the team.

You could tie the entire plot around him too. And you could tie Barry Allen's Flash to him, by making them work at the same police department. Barry being the CSI and J'onn being the detective. They could uncover a murder isn't just a murder when the victim turns out to be a Martian-Human genetic experiment.

They track the killer to Gotham, whereby Batman becomes involved. An invasion nest is discovered and things get out of hand, which gets Clark's attention. Super punching! And then Wonder Woman shows up, who unlike Superman is letting the government pull her strings (she's naive to the ways of this world). My Turf/My Jurisdiction scuffle between Supes/WW. J'onn and Bats are voices of reason. Truce.

I can keep going but my babies are calling...
  • Ryn and Darth Lohr +1 this

The Choc

The Choc

• 8,941 posts

Superman only makes Manhunter redundant if you write Manhunter that way. The problem is solved if you highlight Manhunter's shape shifting and telepathy over his stock Superman powers. Doing that allows Manhunter to bring a unique dynamic to the team.

You could tie the entire plot around him too. And you could tie Barry Allen's Flash to him, by making them work at the same police department. Barry being the CSI and J'onn being the detective. They could uncover a murder isn't just a murder when the victim turns out to be a Martian-Human genetic experiment.

They track the killer to Gotham, whereby Batman becomes involved. An invasion nest is discovered and things get out of hand, which gets Clark's attention. Super punching! And then Wonder Woman shows up, who unlike Superman is letting the government pull her strings (she's naive to the ways of this world). My Turf/My Jurisdiction scuffle between Supes/WW. J'onn and Bats are voices of reason. Truce.

I can keep going but my babies are calling...

I doubt they are going to tie the whole plot around a character 99% of the movie going audience has never heard of.

Cerina

Cerina

Now and forever...

• Admin
  • 29,824 posts
Am I the only one who would be happy with Batmanless Justice League?
  • Tex +1 this

Driver

Driver

Tank

• Supporters
  • 6,591 posts
Maybe?

I've always maintained there are three ways to do Batman.

As a crime/noir/gangster type story
As a high-tech action adventure
Or as a full on super-hero

My preference is the Gotham by night, gangsters, crime alley, detectivey procedural stories. Taking that Batman and sticking him into the context of the Justice League is something I never liked once I was old enough to not be into the Superfriends, even in the comics. It never gelled with me that he would be in a disguise hunting gangster one day, and on a space-station the next.

That said, my two favorite versions of Batman are the animated series from the 90s, and Scott Snyder's current run on the comics because they are the only versions of Bats that manage to do all three of those things at once. So it IS possible...

Funny enough, I'm realizing that though are polar opposites, Nolan's Batman and Adam West's Batman both fit into the same category.
  • Ryn +1 this

The Choc

The Choc

• 8,941 posts
This is the issue I had/have with the Marvel Movies. It's like Iron Man, Hulk and Captain America are all kind of based on a scientific type super hero. Whether is a metal suit or some kind of syrum, it was science based. They made sense together. Then you have Thor from another dimension or planet or whatever and then the bad guys from another whatever, it just didn't fit. It seemed stupid.

Tex

Tex

• 0 posts
My beef with Thor is that the public would freak out if he turned out to be real. Our ancestors worshiped him for about 6 thousand years before the Christians forced Europe to convert or die, so you would think that people would have a profound reaction to his existence. Instead people just shrugged it off like it was no big deal.

Martian Manhunter sounds like a really bad WWE character, btw. Can't see him making the cut.

El Chalupacabra

El Chalupacabra

• Supporters
  • 8,629 posts

Maybe. I never liked MM until the JLU animated series, though. And I don't know about anyone else, but I still see him as a Superman stand in character, except his power levels are even more unbelievably high for me to get into, since he can do everything Supes can, plus telepathy, invisibility, etc. I am not 11 any more and when a character is nigh omnipotant like MM (given the right circumstance, and if the writers allow it, he SHOULD be able to defeat Superman), it just is hard to write a story I am interested in. I know I am being a bit contradictory as Supes somehow still works for me, but even then Supes has to be written well these days too, or i won't be interested.

Darth Krawlie

Darth Krawlie

privileged ****lord

• Moderators
  • 34,383 posts
While I've always liked Martian Manhunter, this has always been DC's problem. Their characters are all too super ultra powerful and godlike... even Batman is, because they've written him to be smarter than every other genius ever in the history of everything combined, and you know comic companies have a whole lot of genius characters.
  • Ryn +1 this

El Chalupacabra

El Chalupacabra

• Supporters
  • 8,629 posts
Yeah I have to agree with you, DC has always been kind of Mary Sue-ish, and when they tried to de-power their heroes like 25 years ago, people bitched about it, and it wasn't long before Supes was jugling planetoids or Bats was a supra-genius Sherlock ninja master again.

Cerina

Cerina

Now and forever...

• Admin
  • 29,824 posts
"Supra-genius Sherkock ninja master" is going on my business cards now.

Darth Lohr

Darth Lohr

Voodoo Chile

• 16,969 posts

This is the issue I had/have with the Marvel Movies. It's like Iron Man, Hulk and Captain America are all kind of based on a scientific type super hero. Whether is a metal suit or some kind of syrum, it was science based. They made sense together. Then you have Thor from another dimension or planet or whatever and then the bad guys from another whatever, it just didn't fit. It seemed stupid.

It's called "diversity". Personally, I'm a fan of it. Except for ones like the X-Men and the Fantastic Four (teams that have very specific reasons for all having the same origin type), all groups have a variety of origins. And even in the X-Men and the FF, there is considerable diversity in personalities. That's why Superman and Batman are put together so often: they're interesting as much for the contrasts as for their similarities.

The JLA has always had this sort of diversity. You have aliens (like Supes, M.Manhunter, Hawkman...um, sometimes), you have science-based heroes (Batman, Flash, etc.), cosmic (Green Lantern), magic (Zatanna), as well as the mythological (Wonder Woman, Aquaman). To me, that sort of thing isn't a bad thing, it is an added interest.

Driver

Driver

Tank

• Supporters
  • 6,591 posts
For me the difference was always that DC heroes are like Gods, and their only weakness is a magic rock. Marvel heroes are regular people whose weaknesses are their own neuroses. I prefer the latter.

El Chalupacabra

El Chalupacabra

• Supporters
  • 8,629 posts

For me the difference was always that DC heroes are like Gods, and their only weakness is a magic rock. Marvel heroes are regular people whose weaknesses are their own neuroses. I prefer the latter.

Maybe traditionally, but at least in the last couple decades, Marvel has produced probably 2-3 dozen characters that make Supes look like a chump AND without any weaknesses, except their own hubris. Marvel can get pretty ridiculous with their characters' power levels, too..

For Example, what comes to mind...

Thor, Odin, and pretty much any other Marvel God
Dr. Strange
Franklin Richards
Xman
Galactus
All of Galactus' Heralds
Any Celestial
Thanos (even without the gauntlet, and if he subconsciously doesn't want to be beat)
Silver Surfer
Magneto
Sentry (ok he is crazy, but could kill supes anyway)
Hyperion
Phoenix
Apocalypse
Quasar
Adam Warlock
The Runner
The Beyonder
Ultron
High Evolutionary
Hulk depending on version\circumstances\anger level
Juggernaut (maybe)
Gladiator
Tyrant
Mar-Vell

Edited by El Chalupacabra, 29 June 2013 - 03:59 PM.

Reply to this topic

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: batman, nightwing, superman, man of steel, nolan, justice league, christian bale, joseph gordon-levitt, justice league movie