I need to lose weight.

Ms. Spam

So this is Spams corner.

I have been looking at Map My Run's website.

I also am thinking about getting a pedometer. I worry that using my cell phones GPS will wear the battery down sooner and it is already three years old.

Any recommendations for a pedometer or a app to download?

As soon as I get this sickness out of me and my back repaired, I'll be able to walk my ass off... literally! I wish you luck, Spammy. Try to stick with it and don't overdue it at the beginning. Ease into it, little more each day if ya can. I'm proud of ya

Despite carrying my phone with me for safety reasons, I just have a daily route that I know is 5K, and I never bother to gps it. I tried Charity Miles, but it would glitch when I would end the session and not track my miles nor donate to my charity. But it's considered one of the best apps out there if you can make it work, and you can do your good deed for the day while exercising.

I've been seeing a new trainer who has taught me cardio is pretty much useless for fat loss. It's great for heart health etc, so it's still good to do-- but if you want weight loss, it's better to focus on strength training. Try looking up some programs for core building and resistance workouts. I've done ridiculous amounts of cardio for years and never gotten anywhere, but I can already see this other stuff working after only a month.

Thanks Rock! I wore my phone battery down today. I went for a two mile walk and cleaned house today. I am trying different apps to see what I like. I am tempted to buy the Nike App. The hardest part is to not binge when I get bored. I was sitting at home this afternoon and I know I have delicious foods in the fridge and want to eat them all immediately.

Also I did ten sit ups. TEN.

Today I walked three miles before the heat did me in. I am not sleeping well but it has more to do with the kitten who does not seem to sleep EVAR.

I am then going to ruin my hard work by going to an after school party hosted by my lead teacher. BBQ and all the fixings with alcohol. What I am bringing is AWESOME-ly not that great for diets.

The double doors to my bedroom don't lock, they are just held closed by a couple of magnets and to fancy glass knobs. It worked pretty good for two nights but now he has figured out how to annoy Little so bad he'll open the doors to escape. Which then let's him in to bother me while little curls up and sleeps on my headboard. (sigh)

• 7 months later...

I've been seeing a new trainer who has taught me cardio is pretty much useless for fat loss. It's great for heart health etc, so it's still good to do-- but if you want weight loss, it's better to focus on strength training. Try looking up some programs for core building and resistance workouts. I've done ridiculous amounts of cardio for years and never gotten anywhere, but I can already see this other stuff working after only a month.

This! I had done P90x, Insanity, etc. for a few years and lost a ton of weight. Hit a plateau and started gaining it back. Joined Crossfit and now it's going back down.

I have been dreading clicking on this topic. After 6 months I lost 5 pounds. The cold is what makes it so hard to go out and exercise.

There is a lot of new things on the market that I can buy that will help me keep up with my heart rate and calories burned.

The hardest part is to not binge when I get bored. I was sitting at home this afternoon and I know I have delicious foods in the fridge and want to eat them all immediately.

This might sound a bit pedantic, but the best thing you can do for yourself here is to stop buying those foods for yourself at home. The reason I eat pretty well is because I don't buy that stuff at the grocery store. If it's in the house, I will eat it. We had a friend come stay with us for a week and after a few days she bitched that she needed to go to the grocery store for some junk food. Make your snacks fruits, vegetables, cheese, nuts, etc instead of cookies, chips and sweets.

That said, Christmas was absolute hell this year because my in-laws brought a ton of junk food with them. I think that month was the majority of my pregnancy weight gain.

Today at work, I brought:

Breakfast: yogurt, granola, coffee

Snack 1: banana, granola bar

Snack 2: apple, cheese

Lunch: turkey sandwich, tomato soup

Snack 3: carrots, hummus

Keep in mind that I'm pregnant, so I get 3 snacks a day instead of 2 (I'd probably get rid of the banana and granola bar, that and the coffee was probably the most unhealthy part of my day). Tonight for dinner, I'll probably have some salmon and vegetables with brown rice. Also, water is your BFF. Get a water bottle if you don't already have one and fill it up twice while you're at work, fill it up again at home in the evening. We have a sodastream at home that we use for carbonating water, not making soda. If I need something fancy, I squeeze a lime wedge into my glass.

If you only do low to moderate intensity exercise, this is how you have to eat. Try to keep snacks to about 200 calories (if you do less, it honestly isn't filling enough and you'll probably just end up eating more), meals to around 400-500.

All that said, if you have a cheat day because there's a party, it won't kill you. The key, though, is still moderation. Don't go so absolutely nuts on a cheat day that you really do wreck yourself. A cheat day is more like, I had a couple slices of pizza for lunch and ate more like 700-800 calories in a meal instead of 400-500. Try and keep those to no more than once a week. All that said, I usually treat myself to one small piece of chocolate a day to keep my sanity. It's less than 100 calories and you feel like you got something sweet.

The hardest part is to not binge when I get bored. I was sitting at home this afternoon and I know I have delicious foods in the fridge and want to eat them all immediately.

This might sound a bit pedantic, but the best thing you can do for yourself here is to stop buying those foods for yourself at home.

See, I tried this and I just ended up going out and buying restaurant food when there was nothing in my house that I wanted. I mean, I'm a misanthrope and hate going out... but I hate not having comfort food more.

Heh. Yeah. I live close to several great food places. So if you leave your fridge full of healthy options temptation is for me to go out and get two tacos. I have low fat cottage cheese and fresh fruit and nuts and such to eat.

Right now I think with the miserable weather and two jobs and such it is really really hard to stick with an exercise routine.

• 2 years later...
Guest Alecarrka

I'm stuck at the wanting to lose weight but not really doing anything about it. I'm stuck at 12st 7lb. I really do need to make a plan and get on with it.

I'd like to build some muscle too so gym is on the cards for that. As well as just looking better I'm hoping more muscle will bring down my IR. I've never been in a gym in my life and to be honest I'm a little scared of it. I think that is what has stopped me so far.

I don't really have a goal weight wise I just want rid of my belly. I'm thinking about 2st but I might need more or less.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.