Avengers 2

Darth Krawlie

• 3 months later...

Glad to hear it jives with the inexplicable ending of Iron Man 3 when he blows up all the suits. Sounds like he is less about being the hero himself, and more about being money and tech support, bankrolling the Avengers and giving them an army of robot Iron Men.

Then it all goes wrong and he has to put on the suit again.

"Inexplicable ending"? Stark hardly needed 42 suits to be Iron Man. They had been coming between him and Pepper. Naturally, then, he chose to dump the suits so he could develop a healthier relationship.

Since he can clearly whip up a new suit on short notice, with or without JARVIS, a stockpile of several dozen seems unnecessary. Stepping back from being a front line "soldier" does makes sense for Stark, though. Pepper couldn't face him risking his life regularly and his strongest asset is his intelligence and ingenuity.

I'm surprised that Stark thought a drone army would be a good idea. Vanko's wasn't particularly effective, and his own Iron Man suits under JARVIS' control was only barely a match for Extremis-enhanced soldiers. So where would he get the idea that sending drones out to patrol wouldn't fail somehow? I look forward to seeing how things unfold.

Inexplicable that these suits can fly around the world, fight on their own and have enough firepower to nuke a nation, and yet couldn't do anything cause a rock was covering the hatch out. Inexplicable that he accepts his role as a world-saving superhero, then destroys his means to do so. Inexplicable that he doesn't find a better use of the suits, which probably cost trillions of dollars, thus making the most expensive fireworks display ever.

If his goal as Iron Man was to serve other ways, that was unclear then-- but his role at the top of Avengers 2 shows how that played out.

Trillions of dollars? That seems ridiculously high for an estimate of the cost of all the Iron Man suits. The US federal budget is only $3 trillion. There's no way that Stark is on par with even a waning superpower in terms of wealth and resources. The key to the IM suit was the miniaturization of the arc reactor. The rest of the suit components are apparently off-the-shelf (he made the first one out of missile parts). So he threw away a fuck-ton of money to be sure, maybe several hundred million, but not "trillions". The man didn't need 42 suits anyway, and definitely wouldn't find any solace in them if he lost Pepper because of them. Most of the suits probably had been worn only once, I'd bet. The whole exercise was a way for Stark to deal with his PTSD. Honestly, I'd bet most of the new suits were not perfected anyway, nor built with top-of-the-line components. Anyway, I thought the lesson of IM3 was that the man makes the suit, not the other way around.

I thought the lesson was just that Tony needs to learn to think about others and not just himself. Which is also the message of Avengers 2.

But House was also right, mostly: people don't change. Before my dad died, if I kept in touch with my siblings it was because of my work. After dad died, they were all about staying close for 6 months, then it was back to normal.

Think about it: alcoholics remain alcoholics. They always want that drink. ***holes stay ***holes, no matter how hard we try to be better. Immortality would probably make change even harder because you've been that way forever.

I believe change is possible, I think it's just hard work. Change isn't passive, you have to decide to change and then choose to stay that way. This is why I also don't really have a problem with Thor being worthy one day and then not the next. After Christmas it was probably a torturous battle for Scrooge to remain in a giving spirit.

Side: I think love, at least romantic love, is also work and like change you must decide to love then choose to keep doing it. I believe that anyone that uses the phrase 'love shouldn't feel like work' might be looking for an out.

Afterthought: This is the groovy mindset I dig.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.