Avengers 2

Darth Krawlie

Come on lads and lasses. 10 pages of speculation! Am I the only one who has seen this film??

Yes.

Didn't you hear - we in the US must wait for after the international releases now. We're merely another regional release, even though Hollywood is in our borders.

Oh I get it too. And I won't deny that I laughed at many of the lines. Just took me out of the movie a few times and didn't exactly help to make him a menacing villain.

Random thoughts...

Loved how many "comic come to life" shots there were. More of this please. More more more.

Bummer we couldn't have gotten Falcon in the helicarrier/War Machine rescue at the end, would've fit in perfectly.

So Whedon spends plenty of time in interviews talking about how everyone in the first Avengers just had a punching power, so he wanted to introduce the twins since their powers are so different--then he kills Quicksilver. What? There's so much more that could've been done with that character.

Hawkeye was awesome. Absolutely made up for his lack of everything in Avengers.

Wasn't too thrilled with Vision lifting Mjonir. Kinda wasted that gimmick, and I'm sure we were all expecting Cap (or someone else) to use it vs Thanos in Infinity War. Then again, the Russo brothers don't seem as gimmicky as Joss, so they'll have something else up their sleeve.

Danny Elfman's part of the score was so so so much better than Brian Tyler, and I've never been a particularly big Elfman fan. Glad they used part of Silvestri's original theme in this. Musical continuity = good thing.

I'm sure I'll have more. Might be seeing it again tomorrow.

Saw it last night. It was good. I liked it a lot more than I expected to. (Although I was also annoyed at the lack of a Star War teaser. Apparently it's playing in 3D but not 2D, which is super lame.)

I think my biggest problem was that, for met at least, there didn't seem to be as much build up to the main plot as the first Avengers movie. Probably because the team is already together, and I felt like I'd seen a lot of these character arcs before. I think that's why the stuff with Hawkeye, Vision, and the twins worked so well. (I'm really sick of Tony Stark.) While I liked Ultron as the villain, I felt like they threw him in and were like, "Here's your plot! Enjoy!" There was a lot more buildup to the next sequel, and I felt like a lot of this was bridging to that. Again, it wasn't bad, just not a good standalone movie.

I absolutely loved the end of the movie, with new Avengers consisting of Cap, Black Widow, War Machine, Falcon, Scarlet Witch, and Vision. (Although Joss is a big troll.) Maybe in the next movie they can have Black Widow and Scarlet Witch have a conversation or something. :p

I liked this better than the first (by a hair) but it still felt like a major chunk of the film's "heart" was missing. I get what they were trying to do; that this was supposed to be an introspective, "what good are we?", internal Avengers conflict... dealing with their own impact and identity, etc. But that didn't change the fact that Ultron just felt D.O.A. as a villain. He's so vague as a nemesis and needlessly "quippy" (like Krawlie said) that when he's not onscreen you forget he's in the movie. "Oh, he's off doing a bad thing, because he's a cranky A.I." If Ultron had been more of a chameleon-like reflection of ALL of the Avengers (and their various fears) he could have functioned more like a mirror for their internal struggle. I think that was supposed to be the desired effect since it just seemed like they threw in Scarlet Witch as a lackluster auxiliary character. Side tangent: the twins: "Ooh, you're mean, Ultron! We thought you were just going to kill the Avengers. Now that you've obviously stated that you're going to kill EVERYONE, we're going to go help the Avengers!"

I would have introduced Vision earlier and focused more on HIM as that wild card, super-weapon, both sides are clamoring to control.

Anyway, as with the first I'm very impressed with how well they balance character time and development. Exceptions being: Nick Fury just kinda comes and goes willy-nilly. (I have NO Idea what was going on with SHIELD in this movie. Did I miss something in another movie?) And, as I said, the twins seemed tacked on and underdeveloped. They just kind of fill screen space and serve as walking plot conveniences.

Bitching aside I thought it was really entertaining. There are just those few times where the movie loses momentum, and whatever looming "doom" is supposed to be around the corner evaporates to the point where (as with the Iron-Man/Hulk fight) the film comes to a plodding stop and says "OK, back to that Ultron world domination stuff!"

(Although I was also annoyed at the lack of a Star War teaser. Apparently it's playing in 3D but not 2D, which is super lame.)

And wow. That 3D makes the opening scene through the desert look awesome. Also where the Falcon flies into the Star Destroyer.

So I really dug this. It was a lot of fun. I'm nearly certain there are like 5 better MCU movies, but this one was quite enjoyable.

1. Captain America 2

2. Ironman 1

3. Thor 1

4. Avengers 1

5. Avengers 2

6. Ironman 2 & 3

7. Captain America 1

8. Thor 2

9. Hulk

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.