Avengers 2

Darth Krawlie

I suppose it works in the sense that it may partly be intended to highlight the fact that while Ultron may have surpassed his father physically and perhaps even intellectually, he is still emotionally an angry child.

And I guess same goes for the Hulk, so they have a connection too.

Wow, really? I thought the strings stuff was awesome. A great subversion of the original intent of the song.

I did, too. It took me a couple of viewings to really listen to the song, realize what it was and what it was from. The theme of the trailer was that of a puppet becoming autonomous, so the ironic twist of the song works for me. I did laugh when it occured to me that this was a Marvel movie, owned by Disney and that's the only reason they were able to use the song at all.

Its not the only reason. Do we really believe a movie with a $200 million budget that'll probably make a billion can't swing music rights? The assistant to the assistant to Joss probably made than it would have cost to license the song.

The song is so thematically perfect I gotta believe they would have paid for it if they had to. "Wait? It costs $45 to get the strings song? fuck that, let's use Turkey on a straw instead."

It's one thing to license songs from rights holders who have no proprietary interest in the movie biz. But I seriously doubt Disney is gonna be amenable to letting non-Disney movie studios borrow Disney songs from Disney movies to help sell non-Disney products.

("What's that, Warner Brothers, o corporate mortal enemy? You wanna use 'Poor Unfortunate Souls' from our prized blockbuster The Little Mermaid in your little Suicide Squad trailer? Uh-huh. That'll be one billion dollars. Cash.")

Cap has to get a little nod since he's such a boyscout. The only thing making him unworthy is the shadowy stuff Hydra/SHIELD was having him do post Avengers. Widow makes no sense-- her unworthiness is because of her background as an assassin.

But yeah- after Phase 3, Hemsworth, Evans and RDJ will all have served out their contracts and will need replacing.

I thought it was great. Appropriate because the analogy fit, not because "Disney". That didn't enter my mind. Then again, regardless of technicalities, when I see the Avengers, my mind still thinks "Marvel!!!", not "Disney". :shrug:

And the TV landscape has vastly improved since TNG and X-Files, and Supernatural would never have lasted if it was on a real network.

Well, since those are three of my all-time favorite shows, I guess I'm a "throwback viewer". Honestly, in four decades of watching TV, there have been so few shows - including in the modern landscape - that I thought were "OMG! Amazing!" right from the start. The vast majority of shows I stay with range from "Not bad - I'll stick around for a bit" to "Hey, that was pretty good". Sometimes, my interest grows from there. Sometimes, it grows quite a bit. The amount of time I tend to stick around is simply determined by how a show is holding my interest. If it's pretty good and seems like it has a chance to get better, I'll stick around to see if that happens. If my interest starts to wane, then I know it's time is running out.

Some leashes for me are longer than others, I suppose, but I've enjoyed SHIELD since the start. Even early on, I felt the potential was there and they were on the right track. The show was constrained initially by being tied, yet subservient, to the films. With Cap 2, the show lost it's strings and had the freedom to really grow. I agree with Dex, though - it is much better this season, but it was never a "bad show".

That's because it moved a little.

I'm sure this is setting up SOMEONE to pick it up, either in this film or Infinity War. A lot of people are thinking it's gonna end up being Widow, because her not trying is Chekhov's Gun. I hope not. If it's anyone, it really should be Cap.

If Marvel could get Hiddleston to stay on, I think they'd play around with the mythos a bit and have Loki redeem himself and become worthy in the final hour against Thanos.

Personally, I'd love to see Natalie Portman become FemThor in Infinity War. But she'll be pushing 40 by the time Infinity War is out and too old to be Thor in Phase 4 and beyond. Yes, I know, I'm feeling old when I think of that too.

• 2 months later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.