Avengers 2

Darth Krawlie

Agents of Shield is a fun romp. It started slow in year one but took off in the final half of that season and hasn't taken the foot off the gas this year. Its not "a bad show"

It may have turned good, but the first few episodes were like a 90s syndicated show mixed with season 1 of Angel. It wasn't good enough for me to be willing to see if it got better.

So, yeah, they made a bad show. It may have turned around, but they needed to get people from episode 1.

Those are fair points. All I'll say is that for every show that starts out firing on all cylinders like Breaking Bad or Justified you have shows that take full seasons to really hit their stride like Star Trek Next Gen, Supernatural, or X-Files.

If Agents has lost you forever that's cool, I'm just saying its a much better show now tham this time last year. If you remember I was openly mocking it last October.

See, I think it's because of shows like Breaking Bad and Justified that every showrunner out there knows they shouldn't phone it in. Whenever a genre show starts weak people bring up how rough TNG was until the third season-- but that was 30 years ago. It's a different landscape. If you get a show greenlit in this day and you don't come out swinging at the top rated shows out there, you're not doing it right.

There is so much quality TV now I'm not going to waste my time on a network show that takes 30 episodes to get "better." Especially not from the people who cracked the formula on the superhero film and should know better.

Honestly, when the Netflix shows hit I bet we'll see a huge difference. Agents of SHIELD could have been great, but it is cursed by being a network show with the biggest budget on TV. The ONLY way for it to succeed is to cast the widest net possible for audiences and advertisers, AND as Winter Soldier demonstrated, they HAVE to play second string to the movies. The show was born in a box in the corner.

Those are fair points. All I'll say is that for every show that starts out firing on all cylinders like Breaking Bad or Justified you have shows that take full seasons to really hit their stride like Star Trek Next Gen, Supernatural, or X-Files.

If Agents has lost you forever that's cool, I'm just saying its a much better show now tham this time last year. If you remember I was openly mocking it last October.

I remember. And it may be better, and if I had your type of job (you watch a lot of TV/movies while editing and things, right?) I might be more able to invest in it. Unfortunately, my life has way less viewing time, and I'm more representative of most people. And the TV landscape has vastly improved since TNG and X-Files, and Supernatural would never have lasted if it was on a real network. It may have improved dramatically, but it's going to fail because of the early episodes. The other thing that allowed TNG and X-Files to succeed was the fact that they were more episodic. I'm assuming that Agents has more of an arc, because that's what makes sense for the series in the current era of television. In an episodic show, it doesn't really matter if you've never seen Encounter at Farpoint, you can still get the idea that Q is a super-powerful being that likes to mess with the crew of the Enterprise from any other episode, and there's not a continuing story beyond the character himself.

Imagine if you had to watch all of seasons 1 and 2 of TNG to understand what was happening in season 4. Nobody would've been willing to start then and go back and watch it all.

My situation is a little different. My father is old and infirm and doesn't get out of his house much. So I bring him all his meals, and usually once or twice a day I'll stay with him for a while, eat with him, and watch TV. Because of his situation, about all my father can do is watch TV. We talk, too, but pretty much watching TV is it. With an hour long drama being 41 minutes without commercials, I usually watch two episodes of something with him per day, so it works out to approximately 14 episodes of some kind of TV show per week. Roughly. Some weeks I hardly stay at all, other weeks I stay extra.

Now, obviously there aren't 14 episodes per week times 52 weeks of TV that meet Driver's very high standards of TV quality. So the bar of what I'll watch and keep watching is relatively low IF (a big if) I make it through the first 2-3 episodes.

It does happen, though. I knew there was a problem with The Bridge when I watched what I thought was the season finale and was all like "I guess that was pretty good." Then about a month later I noticed two new episodes were on the DVR. Turns out what I thought was the season finale was only the third to last episode of the season ... even though it felt like a finale. That's not a good sign. Nor was the fact it took me another month to finally get around to watching them. When season two rolled around I didn't bother recording it.

I got through ten minutes of Stalker and bailed.

Scorpion has one more episode to woo me or I'm done.

I bailed on Covert Affairs after 3-4 seasons because it got ****ing stupid.

So, I will bail. But, given that I do need a minimum hours per week of TV if I want to spend time with my father, it's a relatively low bar.

I know everyone loves the "I've Got No Strings" thing, but it made me roll my eyes super hard. Maybe because I did a tap dance to that song when I was 8. Or maybe because all I could think of was that someone figured out they wouldn't have to pay Disney royalty rights to use it.

Other than that, I'm in, although I have no idea what was going on in the trailer.

Kind of agree about the Got No Strings thing. Part of me has been hoping that's just in this teaser and not really in the film. But whatever, it still looks wicked. Maybe Tony leaves the TV on a lot and JARVIS catches Pinocchio late one night....before he evolves into Ultron...if that is indeed what happens.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.