Welcome to Nightly.Net
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

NFF 2013 League Meetings

161 replies to this topic

Darth Irish

Darth Irish

Daily, nightly, and ever so rightly.

• 14,874 posts
I'm not hanging it up in this league. Some people, myself primarily, aren't on the net as much due to a myriad of circumstances. However, my weekends from August through January are booked on trying to beat you Yahoo's, lamenting trades I made with UKLK, and trying to get the best players I can. Not to mention that I love the 2-3 week draft in July and August. Call me selfish, but I really enjoy this league, and its become basically the only one I really pay attention to.
  • Rock +1 this

Darth Lohr

Darth Lohr

Voodoo Chile

• 16,969 posts
So, are you going to have time to do your commish work? I don't mean this as a slam or complaint, but as an honest question. Last season, you and UKLK had the titles, but most of the work was done by Lucas, Rock, and me. At this point, it definitely looks like you won't get as much help (from us, at least). I'm just saying that if either of you think this year will be similar, maybe you should step down and let someone with more time do it.

If you will be able to run the draft, get the season going, and everything, great. I'm just asking.

Rock

Rock

Self High-Five

• 38,702 posts
I'll be around to help the draft thread.

Ashaman

Ashaman

• Members
  • 3,634 posts

Are some of these non active owners around on facebook a lot? Maybe its time to move away from nightly to a place more user friendly.

It's not about where people spend their social time, it's about following through on the commitment you make when you join the league. During the owners meeting, you stop in a few times to voice opinions or even at least just once to vote. You manage to stop in during your 24 hour window throughout the draft. You take 5 minutes to set your lineup each week. If someone sends you message about a trade offer or league matter, you shoot them back a quick reply.

That's all that is asked of most people, but even that seems to be more than some people are willing to do. Ash, you're a perfect example actually, given that you just blew off most of the NBF season. That sort of thing goes on in both leagues and that's killing them. All the banter and interaction at NN has always made the games more fun, but it's not essential. A certain amount of effort, however, is essential and not having it from everyone can suck the fun right out.

Yea I'll own it. I messed up with the NBF. But in my defense, I get on an actual computer MAYBE once a week where I have access to the net. There is no mobile app, and trying to use the ESPN mobile site was about as much fun as a root canal. I gave up on it because when I did get to a computer, obviously dealing with that was the fartherest thing from my mind.

So let's go ahead and call out those that are maybe not giving the best effort in your mind with this league and see what we can do to fix things and help them out.

And I'm willing to help as much as I can with whatever we need. Im curious, what does the comish do during the season?

Darth Irish

Darth Irish

• 14,874 posts
Nonactivity is the easiest thing to fix. Absent good cause, failure to set a lineup results in expulsion. Addition by subtraction.

UK Legend Killa

UK Legend Killa

Double NFF Champion

• 19,652 posts
I'm not giving up on this league either. We had issues last season for sure, mostly that me and Irish weren't around as often as we were needed (during the draft and then about once or twice during the season when things got....hairy). I don't think things are bad with this league at all. People have lives, they drift away from things that they were previously interested in. I only pop in to the Cantina, Mt Olympus and here nowadays. I don't have masses to contribute and I have a lot on in my life. I'm 23, I have a girlfriend and a job that demands a lot of my time. Plus I sit in a different time zone to most of you guys, so it may look like I've not been in in a while, when I'm either asleep or on when you guys are.

The biggest thing that may need to be changed might be that Lucas may drop out, or at least need somebody to take a list for his draft. He's always been active before but obviously law school comes first (as it should!!!). We've done 7 years strong, I don't see any reason we should stop now. The only problem I have is that we keep changing the rules every year!!!

Edit - and probably replace Tommy too since he has been banned again

Edited by UK Legend Killa, 25 March 2013 - 05:14 PM.

Darth Lohr

Darth Lohr

Voodoo Chile

• 16,969 posts

Nonactivity is the easiest thing to fix. Absent good cause, failure to set a lineup results in expulsion. Addition by subtraction.

Not setting lineups is the worst form of non-activity and the easiest to track & deal with, but the other stuff (non-participation in meetings and votes, bogging down the draft, failure to respond to in-season communication, etc.) really starts to wear on people, too (especially those having to directly deal with it). Though I will say it's encouraging that this meeting has had a pretty decent turnout so far.

the skiff guard

the skiff guard

Cubits?

• Members
  • 9,477 posts
I may be guilty of some of these owner criticisms.

Unfortunately I was going through a moving process during the fall. I was living out of a bag while I did renovations on my new place and I wasn't able to access nightly on my computer. I tried to keep up on the league through nightly's mobile site but the mobile site sucks. However I did keep almost daily tabs on the league via the ESPN site through my phone. In fact I think I had more roster moves than anyone else last year , not that it did me much good. I appologize if I did not respond to any trade offers. I was having trouble accessing PMs thought the mobile site.

Next season should be free of such dificulties
  • Darth Lohr +1 this

Darth Irish

Darth Irish

• 14,874 posts
I'm not kicking anyone out for not posting in this thread or the regular NFF thread. One thing to not set lineups, but banishment for not posting? I don't think so. Lucas is the perfect example. I have been through what he's going through. I don't expect to hear from him til June.

Rock

Rock

Self High-Five

• 38,702 posts
Since I'm in super organized mode and a motion was brought up to shut down the league, I think we should do an official roll just to get that matter out of the way and see who still wants in this league for next season. That way we have time to reduce teams so next season will be salvageable. Makes sense?

Rock - Vote to keep league
Irish - Vote to keep league
UKLK - Vote to keep league
Skiff - Vote to keep league
Darth Lohr - Vote to keep league
Ashaman - Vote to keep league
Groove - Vote to keep league
SuperDragon - Vote to keep league
Dex - Vote to keep league

Who else?

Edited by Rock, 26 March 2013 - 10:40 AM.

groove terminator

groove terminator

There are two rules for success: 1.) Don't tell all you know

• Members
  • 2,915 posts
keep of course
with an increase in drinking
  • UK Legend Killa +1 this

Ashaman

Ashaman

• Members
  • 3,634 posts
What did Tommy get banned for this time?

Id say dragon is in as he boasted about winning it all.

If we need a replacement is texascat around still?

ShadowDog

ShadowDog

Supra-Awesome Badass PIE Pimp

• 42,592 posts
I vote to keep the league.

I'd love to see some contraction though.

Ashaman

Ashaman

• Members
  • 3,634 posts
Quick recap of events (as I see it):
Safe to say league interest is enough to keep on
IDP seems to have a lot of opposition
PPR discussion/vote needed most likely
TE added to flex seems to have a lot of support

Next topic:
league contraction if 2 owners want out or find replacement owners?

ShadowDog

ShadowDog

Supra-Awesome Badass PIE Pimp

• 42,592 posts
Contraction!

Texascat

Texascat

• Members
  • 631 posts
I am here. I have been lurking for a while. If a spot opens up, I will take it if its OK with yall.

I also posted a question in the roto yahoo baseball league as well.

Rock

Rock

Self High-Five

• 38,702 posts

I am here. I have been lurking for a while. If a spot opens up, I will take it if its OK with yall.

No thanks.

If anything, we do contraction. Get things back to the place they were, much more simple, easier to manage.
  • groove terminator +1 this

Rock

Rock

Self High-Five

• 38,702 posts

What did Tommy get banned for this time?

In short: bodega and not letting his banning go. I'm hoping once cooler heads prevail, dust settles, all that stuff, he can rejoin NN with some guidelines, of course, but there's no timetable. That being said, I agree with Irish that he should be allowed to keep his franchise even if he can't acccess the sight. Most of us are on Facehook at this point anyway. But I'm open to discussion on that as well

Rock

Rock

Self High-Five

• 38,702 posts
That's 9 teams right there. Who are we missing? Lucas, Danger and Exodus for all 12, who the latter I'm sure is onboard. So it all comes down to Lucas and danger on wheher contraction is even on the table.

UK Legend Killa

UK Legend Killa

Double NFF Champion

• 19,652 posts
I second the more drinking motion forwarded by the Anitpode
  • groove terminator +1 this

Lucas1138

Lucas1138

Spam Lord

• Moderators
  • 18,214 posts
Voting Discussion-

Keep or Kill - Frikkin are you kidding? This league should last forever. I don't care if there's four people left in 5 years with superteams, those bastards should still be going at it until the end of time. Keep.

PPR- Only if we re-draft the entire league. Or with a multiple year deferment. That's a massive overhaul to the scoring, even if people don't realize it. It doesn't just effect WRs, but RBs too. Absolutely Against.

Flex Spot- I'm against just making the flex RB/WR/TE, but I wouldn't be opposed to having RB-RB-WR-WR-FLEX. That's a pretty traditional lineup setup. Maybe.

IDPs- I actually don't think ESPN even has that option. They didn't used to. I love them for the Yahoo! league, but with a league that already requires as much time as this one does, no thanks. Lord no.

Kickers- While the difference between the best kicker and 12th best kicker is rarely more than a point or two per week, we can't just get rid of them. No.

General League Discussion:

I second Lohr's observation of "piss poor effort in general" last year. I was incredibly disappointed with this league, for the first time in 6 seasons. From the top down. People didn't set their rosters (and listen, setting your roster and maintaining your roster are two different things), people didn't respond to trade offers either because they didn't check their PMs or because they're ***holes (I'm of the mind that if someone sends you a trade offer you should have to respond. Even if it's to say, hell no. It's common courtesy), and most importantly people didn't post in the thread. For the three years prior to the 2012 season I kept weekly statistics and updated the NFF Stat Book on a weekly basis. I would usually post some noteworthy tidbits in the thread because I knew people would see them. Last year interest was so low (for a variety of reasons) that I didn't even bother. No one had any fun with it, it didn't seem like (I will be careful to exempt at least Lohr, Ex, and Dex from that criticism). There was a major effort problem last year. I know the developmental players thing was confusing at times but for the love of Pete, checking the league page or the page on NN before you picked up someone isn't that difficult (full disclosure, I picked up one of Rock's players at one point, in case anyone didn't notice). Using the ESPN mobile site for maintaining your roster or nightly mobile for keeping up with the league isn't fun or easy, but it also isn't impossible.

One thing that might alleviate some of the "people going AWOL" thing is if we had a secondary (and even tertiary) means of contacting people. Whether it's email, facebook, twitter, or even cell phone. (My preference would be phone or personal email, since everyone has one that they presumably check regularly even if they're absent from NN) Something that the rest of the league knows the owner can be reached on. However, I do not think the league should leave Nightly. It's the NFF, if we took it to email or facebook that would take something away from it, in my opinion.

Another thing (which indirectly relates to my last point): We can't have any more owners going AWOL, even if they are maintaining their rosters. At least pop in here with your smart phone and say hey, life's a bitch, don't worry, I'm still here. In Mount Olympus there's a "Going Away For a Few Days" thread where a mod/admin usually posts if they'll be unavailable for any length of time. We need to have that kind of communication here, too.

Basically, I agree with everything Lohr has said about activity/non-activity so far in this thread. I don't equate setting your roster with being active. Hell, I might prefer people **** talking in the thread to them actually keeping up with their roster (not that that makes much sense, but you know what I mean). That has always been the best part about this league. If I just wanted to be in a league where people kept up with their rosters I'd find a random league and hope for the best. This league is great because we all know each other, and it's been great in the past because Irish's mother is a whore we can all talk a little trash to each other. It's for this reason that I actually disagree with Irish's sentiments in post #59. I think that should be a requirement (not a stringent one, but a requirement).

On a personal note, I'll air a grievance in accordance with NFFestivus:

One thing that disappointed me last year was the amount of bitching that took place. And this has been all over the board for the past year for whatever reason. There was a lot of criticism, but very rarely was any of it constructive. I will admit that I took that personally a few times whether it was the rookie keeper thing (which I basically had to figure out and orchestrate myself, with some help from Lohr tweaking things along the way) or something else. At the beginning of the season I was doing a ton of work for the league by myself (Irish was super busy with work, UK was moving and without internet I think, and Rock was obviously gone). When there's multiple people helping out it's okay, but when it's just one person and that one person has to listen to people critique seemingly every single thing, it's a total pain in the ass and not something that person wants to deal with. I know Rock has felt this way in the past, too.

Whether I'm coming back

I want to keep playing in this league, but I want it to be better than last year. I've stated numerous times (despite it all, I don't want to seem like I'm whining) that I just flat out didn't have fun last year. I have no problem helping out with the draft, I have no problem helping drive discussion in the NFF thread. But we all have to work together. Everyone needs to make a concerted effort to be a better owner than they were last season. It's more fun for everyone when that happens. So, in short (lol), Team Carr is my baby and I don't want to give it up if I don't have to.
  • the skiff guard, Rock, Darth Lohr and 1 other +1 this

Rock

Rock

Self High-Five

• 38,702 posts
Well said, sir. And I talked to danger today and he wants to keep his team - so that's all 12 team owners for KEEP LEAGUE. Passed, moving on.

I want to touch on the "people bitching" thing. You're absolutely right. That's the reason i stepped down s commissioner because every time I tried to do something, even super minor, I would get slammed with complaints, bitching and it made being commish a chore instead of a fun activity. Who needs that kind of hassle? Not I. But I think we can move on now, as long as everyone agrees that we should always be proactive in our league, making changes where we should, voting on stuff we would like or not like, we need to be adults, for lack of a better term, realize that this IS just a game and we should all have fun with it.

That being said, in the next few days, I'm going to build a FB fan page for NFF. I tried it before, but I f*cked it all up by making it it's own account and it got all screwed up. Let me touch on what Lucas just said: It's certainly NOT a move to replace Nightly. I just want another resource to post updates, maybe have some fun with it with polls, pictures, trophies, etc. One day Dex might even join :)
  • the skiff guard and Darth Lohr +1 this

the skiff guard

the skiff guard

Cubits?

• Members
  • 9,477 posts
I don't do Facebooks

Exodus

Exodus

Making This Sh*t Cool Again

• 27,292 posts
In favor of the flex, just waiting to see how it would look. And course we keep the league.

By the way, the new job eats away at my spare time. What's left after work usually goes to my wife. However, interest is clearly still there. One of my issues would be upkeep during the week if, for instance, changes need to be made prior to a MNF game or a Thursday night game. I see one of our teams in another league has two owners. Is this something you guys would be opposed to? This way, I could at least communicate for a roster change to made made before a game when 1) computer is unavailable, and 2) mobile version of ESPN Fantasy is not cooperating (and for me, this happens a lot).

Multiple ownership of teams (limited to two individuals) could also be a decent way to make an easy transition when we know an owner is on thye way out. Their replacement can be selected, made the 2nd owner, share opperations with the current owner for a season or two, then gradually take command.

Thoughts?

Darth Lohr

Darth Lohr

Voodoo Chile

• 16,969 posts
Well skiff, we'd probably get you to do FB long before Dex ever would. Hell, we'd probably get Dex's dad on FB first.

Oh, wait. That already happened.

Reply to this topic