Welcome to Nightly.Net
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

NFF 2013 League Meetings

161 replies to this topic

Darth Irish

Darth Irish

Daily, nightly, and ever so rightly.

• Moderators
  • 14,874 posts
Dex was nice enough to remind us all about the league meeting for the NFF. I'm on mobile right now, so my capacity for a long post about each topic to cover is somewhat limited. I will say that I have been thinking the league constitution needs an update.

So I will pass the baton to the first owner who has a topic that they feel needs discussion.

the skiff guard

the skiff guard

Cubits?

• Members
  • 9,477 posts
Who's interested in a PPR League?

With a league as deep as the NFF it only makes sense

Ashaman

Ashaman

• Members
  • 3,634 posts
Refresh my memory, what's that mean?

the skiff guard

the skiff guard

Cubits?

• Members
  • 9,477 posts
Points Per Reception

Meaning that players will also recieve points for receptions not just TDs and yardage.

Darth Irish

Darth Irish

• Moderators
  • 14,874 posts
A scoring change like that would affect the way a team is constructed as player value is markedly different for PPR. I would say that if the league wants PPR, we institute it a season from whenever such a decision is made so that teams can build/add/drop/trade/draft for such a new system.

the skiff guard

the skiff guard

Cubits?

• Members
  • 9,477 posts
Fair enough.

I'm in favor of it

ShadowDog

ShadowDog

Supra-Awesome Badass PIE Pimp

• Supporter/Mods
  • 42,592 posts
I'm in favor with that one year deferment.

Rock

Rock

Self High-Five

• 38,702 posts
No objections here.

Darth Lohr

Darth Lohr

Voodoo Chile

• Moderators
  • 16,969 posts
Against.

I started out in PPR leagues, but looking back, it really doesn't make sense to me. Especially since we're already getting points for the receiving - why reward someone twice for the same thing? The yardage, that's what helps a team in real life. The point is to move the chains and score.

You don't give a RB points for carries, you give him points for what he does with those carries. Why should a WR be any different? A guy could have two catches for a total of 3 yards and he's done virtually nothing to help his team in real life, but he gets fantasy points? A player that catches 6 passes for 50 yards hasn't necessarily helped his team any more than a guy who has one 50yd catch. It's sketchy logic and I honestly just don't see how it's an improvement.
  • danger +1 this

ShadowDog

ShadowDog

• Supporter/Mods
  • 42,592 posts
Honest to God I wrote "And now here comes DL with an arguement about how this isn't like real football" but then I thought that was silly because catches help teams in real life so I took the joke out. DAMMIT. Defeated by overthinking ****. LOL

Ashaman

Ashaman

• Members
  • 3,634 posts
I get what you are saying Lohr, but a guy with 6 catches for 50 yards could do more for his team than a guy with 1 catch for 50 yards if you think about 1st downs created from catches. That guy potentially did more to help his team by keeping drives alive.

But I do get what you mean. It does add value to byecweek pick ups though.

Im undecided at this point about ppr.

Did we ever finish the discussion on making the flex spot RB/WR/TE?

ShadowDog

ShadowDog

• Supporter/Mods
  • 42,592 posts
I'd like to reopen that topic.

Darth Irish

Darth Irish

• Moderators
  • 14,874 posts
I have no objection if we want to add TE to flex. That's an easy one.

Darth Lohr

Darth Lohr

Voodoo Chile

• Moderators
  • 16,969 posts

Honest to God I wrote "And now here comes DL with an arguement about how this isn't like real football" but then I thought that was silly because catches help teams in real life so I took the joke out. DAMMIT. Defeated by overthinking ****. LOL

Then give yourself partial credit. You don't get points in reality for receiving yards, so that's not exactly my point. However, accumulating yards in real life does lead you to points in a much more direct and concrete way than receptions. And, again, we're already getting points for receiving. If we didn't get yardage points, adding this would make some sense. I don't get the logic of double dipping.

I get what you are saying Lohr, but a guy with 6 catches for 50 yards could do more for his team than a guy with 1 catch for 50 yards if you think about 1st downs created from catches. That guy potentially did more to help his team by keeping drives alive.

It's purely speculative and hypothetical, though. "Could" and "potentially" may just as easily swing the other way, too. Those six catches might also look like this: 2, 4, 38, -1, 5, and 2; they might easily have only lead to one 1st down, the same as that one 50 yard catch. And that 50 yard catch may have set up the game winning field goal, so it's impact on the game was actually greater. In this case, I think a simpler and more universal approach like the one we currently use is more logical and efficient.

Did we ever finish the discussion on making the flex spot RB/WR/TE?

For

UK Legend Killa

UK Legend Killa

Double NFF Champion

• Moderators
  • 19,652 posts
For the flex spot; not sure about the PPR, We already have very high scores each week.

With a receiver the amount of catches is usually factored in with the score for yardage. No catches, no yards. You bust a big run, you get extra yards.

Rock

Rock

Self High-Five

• 38,702 posts
I'm down for the flex spot.

danger

danger

loves you

• Banned Users
  • 4,201 posts
Also down for the flex spot.
I'm with Lohr on PPR, but I wouldn't be upset if it got passed.

I like having DEF players...anyone else?
Solo tackle 1pt
Assis.tackle .5pt

Ashaman

Ashaman

• Members
  • 3,634 posts
Pass on def players

danger

danger

loves you

• Banned Users
  • 4,201 posts
Care to elaborate? I like them because they can save your ass, kind of like drawing a wild card. Three is nice, but I would be happy with two or one in my pocket.

ShadowDog

ShadowDog

• Supporter/Mods
  • 42,592 posts
We have that in the yearly league and it never really tickled my fancy.

UK Legend Killa

UK Legend Killa

Double NFF Champion

• Moderators
  • 19,652 posts
Same. I don't want a wild card. I spend a long time selecting and developing my team I don't want a def player messing up the curve. Defences have been wild enough the past two years!

ShadowDog

ShadowDog

• Supporter/Mods
  • 42,592 posts
Plus imagine how long the ****ing draft would be. LOL

Ashaman

Ashaman

• Members
  • 3,634 posts
In my experience they are just too inconsistent to be useful. I also feel like its a matter of plug and play as there is little difference in the top eh 15 to 20. In the yahoo league I mainly check to make sure they aren't hurt or on a bye otherwise I make little change to them by week 4 or so.

Plus nothing would piss me off more than someone having the Texans Defense, and JJ Watt and he goes off for 10 tackles, 3 sacks, 2 fumbles 1that recovered and a TD. In the end I loose because my opponent got double points for single plays (sacks, fumbles, td).

Ashaman

Ashaman

• Members
  • 3,634 posts
Ok sorry, went back and looked at what you put. If it was tackles and tackles only that got points I would be able to tolerate it

Darth Lohr

Darth Lohr

Voodoo Chile

• Moderators
  • 16,969 posts
I've done full IDP before and loved it, but again, it was full IDP and we drafted every position. I came back to the Yahoo league this past season and have to say I really didn't dig doing just the three players. Seemed rather pointless, especially since we also have team D. I'd say for me it's an all or nothing thing with IDPs - and like Dex alluded to, we don't have time to draft "all". So, I say thee nay!

And I can pretty much guarantee that Rock will be a big ol' "NO", as well. He's always been against IDPs in the past.

Reply to this topic