Anyone?

I'm addicted. Still struggling to find a likable character. It's like West Wing by way of The Wire.

Kevin Spacey is awesome as always. His fourth wall breaking narration is an interesting choice. It's not new by any means, but for a one hour drama I've never seen it.

Great show, Lone the Gafney shout out, as most South Carolinians think that giant peach is stupid. Spacey + Fincher. = Awesome.

That said I'll never understand why people need to have likable characters in order to enjoy something. it's real life. The Tooth Fairy isn't invited.

That said I'll never understand why people need to have likable characters in order to enjoy something. it's real life. The Tooth Fairy isn't invited.

I usually need some kind of character I can root for in a drama. Essentially drama is conflict and in a conflict there are multiple parties involved and I want to be able to root for one of them. Likeable doesn't mean goody two shoes or even good really. I'm thinking of the show Rome (one of my all time favorites) and the character Titus Pullo. He wasn't a good person really in alot of ways, he killed an innocent man in cold blood, but I still liked him and rooted for him.

I'll even go to a show like The Wire, which was brought up by Driver. I gave that show half a season before giving up. I didn't like any of the characters on it. And that show had flat out good guys in the cops out to stop flat out bad guys. But none of the good guys were all that likeable on their own.

And like you said "this is real life". Well I don't know about you, but I like plenty of people in real life. So like I said at the start, I don't need a goody two shoes or even a good guy but maybe a guy that I'd like to go out and have a beer with.

Generally I'm into narratives because I like story, and characters are the best way to tell a story. A show, like this, or the wire, or Homeland is subtle and real, and I'm okay with the characters being grey if the journey is interesting.

But take a show like Son of Anarchy where the lead characters aren't jus terry and unlivable, but actually murderous and cruel. It makes it harder for me to watch.

It depends on the type of story being told.

SPOILER ALERT:

I was about to start a thread for this too - just got to chapter 10 today. The only goodie two shoes is Christina Gallagher, but she has tits that rank 2/10 and a weird face - I like how they went the realistic route of getting back with her bad baggage - not sure if it will last though. I really don't like looking at Zoe Barnes's head because she looks like the newborn on Alien Ressurection - that said, her acting is a lot better here than in American Horror Story, even though she's still horny for older men. Even though Claire Underwood looks like David Bowie (great body though), she still excites me with her power, wit, and heathen likability. I love Doug Stamper, he's cold, concise, and intelligent. Peter Russo is a bad guy, but I like how they are slowly and realistically turning him around - this character has the most interesting conflicts. The rest of the characters have been smaller parts so far but I hope they have bigger roles as time goes on.

Francis Underwood - I really like the way Spacey is playing this character and the way the character is written. He's a bad guy going to all this trouble for being snubbed, but I like it. There hasn't been really too much conflict or things in his way (as of episode 10) but I like seeing the way he goes about claiming what's "his." Sure there have been a few setbacks, but like he said, he believes it's the refridgerator that needs to swerve out of his way, not the other way around. I really enjoy seeing Frank maniuplate and twist everything around to his advantage. I cheer for the bad guys sometimes.

Since this is a show where all episodes are out at once, and we watch at different rates, if we get into details can we do spoiler windows and let ppl know which episodes were into?

I was pretty vague with the one "spoiler" in that paragraph. I agree, though.

Holy **** everything changes in Ch. 10 and 11. The conflict is IN! I kinda predicted two things that were going to happen, and was actually shocked to be right with one of them. I'm glad they played out like I hoped they would, and not disappointed I called it.

Where are you on this?

So second season predictions...and season finale discussion.

It's like astronomy 102 - all the different ways the universe will be destroyed. In the last chapter there are so many things working against Frank that I can't guess which one will cause everything to fall apart, or the badass actions Frank takes to overcome everything. There's Zoey's little gang who have figured out Frank's ploy...they're asking all the right questions and the season ends with Doug calling Frank's phone after Christina drops some bombs. Then there's Gillian Cole's vendetta against Claire that could also **** up the Vice Presidency. And then there's Raymond Tusk, who's a new favorite character to me because he's Frank's equal when it comes to out-smarting each other, intelligence, and their quest for power. As the episode ended, Frank got what he wanted, but I predict that Tusk has a lot more up his sleeve for Frank in the next season.

edit: I forgot to mention Russo's old buddy potentially running for governor.

• 5 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Really enjoyed season 2 up until the last 5 minutes. I'm all for shock and awe, but the threesome with underwood and security dude making out was just dumb, ridiculous and just... ****ing dumb.

I'm watching episode 3 of season 3 right now and so far, it's been pretty slow. Which is fine, as long as there's a slow build up. Can't expect jaw dropping episodes one after another like season 1.

• 4 weeks later...

Im halfway through season 3, have had to slow down lately (damn NCAA tournament). I liked season 2 plenty and have liked season 3 so far. I loved the end of season 2 where Major Dad all of a sudden changes his testimony, Frank has the Chinese guy deported etc. It felt like the end of the Godfather 1 and 2, Frank had been setting the pieces on the chessboard for a long time and all of a sudden he made his moves.

Season 3 I've liked in that it's less about scandal and that stuff and more about actual governance, which is nice just cause its different. Sometimes a show like this just needs to focus on why its good, t he constant threat of Frank getting caught was boring. Its still in the background but not as in your face. Its like Breaking Bad, the show got better when Skylar found out about Walt. The storylines of Walt keeping it from her just got repetitive and the show was better when freed from that.

I kinda agree it was good and the season had some absolutely awesome stuff. But this is a classic example of a show not knowing what makes it good. What makes this show great is Franks political wheeling and dealing, outsmarting people and getting out of jams. Not Stampers craziness or Claire being unhappy with the marriage. Stick to the politics.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.