Anyone still watching the Following?

Ms. Spam

Guest El Chalupacabra

Still haven't watched it. Looks like a premise for a cool movie, maybe a miniseries at the most, but I am not sure how you stretch it out to be a TV show.

I wonder how many TV shows have failed for no other reason than people thought that without giving a show a chance? For instance, I never saw how they could make the movie Stargate into a TV series and it ended up running ten seasons and spawning two spinoffs that lasted another seven series as well as two video games and two DVD movies. An open ended premise with ****ty writing isn't going to work. The most narrow premise ("A plane crashes on an island" "A mofo uses numbers to solve crimes" etc) with great writing can be epic.

As for this specific show in regards to its narrow premise ... I think it's too early to tell yet. It could still go either way.

Guest El Chalupacabra

I wonder how many TV shows have failed for no other reason than people thought that without giving a show a chance? For instance, I never saw how they could make the movie Stargate into a TV series and it ended up running ten seasons and spawning two spinoffs that lasted another seven series as well as two video games and two DVD movies. An open ended premise with ****ty writing isn't going to work. The most narrow premise ("A plane crashes on an island" "A mofo uses numbers to solve crimes" etc) with great writing can be epic.

As for this specific show in regards to its narrow premise ... I think it's too early to tell yet. It could still go either way.

You've got a good point. But anymore, I wait until a series, especially on Fox (they are pull-the-plug happy) makes it to the end of season 1 and is renewed for season 2, before I invest myself in them. If it survives the first season and still has good word of mouth, I will check this show out. I just don't like getting emotionally invested in a show, only to be cancelled without resolution. Or, have a show that sucks me in but just drags out episode after episode, no resolution and nothing really progresses (IE Like The Killing).

I freaking love The Following and I am shocked it is on a non-cable channel. It is well written, very well acted and super interesting. Kevin Bacon is amazing and the heartbeat sound speeding up during his action scenes is a fantastic device, both for eliciting concern for the safety of the character and for paying homage to The Telltale Heart. Clever, intelligent, dark and suspenseful - great show all around.

• 2 years later...

So I just blasted through the first two seasons.

I thought the first started incredibly well but it wore on me as time went on (cops were too incompetent, and the "villain is one step ahead!" plot rehashes got old). I thought the second season was fantastic. I think my parents actually have some of the 3rd on the DVR so I might get started on that too.

I think it started strong and finished strong. I went from glad it was gonna be cancelled halfway through season 3 to mourning its passing by the end of that season. I really like how it ended.

Overall its an entertaining watch. Its far from perfect but not in a thrill killing way.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.