Before and After pics and stories?

Rock

I had some REALLY good vodka the other night, which is ridiculously low-cal.

Like so good it didn't even taste like vodka. Oyo (distillery in Ohio) vanilla bean and honey.

I've also had potato chips, ice cream and cookies within the past week, and still managing to drop 2 lbs a week, which is my goal. Without a personal trainer.

Just tracking calories has been huge.

Do you cook, 3 & 6? I know Driver doesn't, but Cooking Light has some really great low cal versions of great things.

Of course I also really like vegetables, so last night I was still hungry after dinner so I made myself a spinach and tomato salad without any dressing, so my tastes may not be perfectly aligned.

No, I do not cook.

I wouldn't worry about giving up light beer. The beer gut thing is a myth. I drank all I wanted to while I was losing weight.

As for the weight loss I also agree that's it's all about the food. Prior to that I was working out even more than I do now. It wasn't until I started to cut back on the food that I started to lose a pound or two a week. Ultimately I lost about 35 lbs.

Yeah but men usually put weight on their guts regardless of it being food or alcohol. It's just where most of us store our fat, and so is always the first place to grow. Women have more even distribution of fat around their bodies with a tendency for more around buttox, legs and obliques.

Point is, you can probs still drink beer if you just eat better food. Nothing out of a box or packet is a good rule of thumb. And look for sugar content of everything. That's the big thing I reckon.

"Beer gut" is definitely a thing. But it isn't because there's something inherently wrong or different about beer. It's just usually consumed in larger quantities and it is a massive amount of totally empty calories devoid of any nutritional value.

Your regular Coors Light is about 100 calories, and throwing 5 or more of those back isn't even anything to write home about. A Sierra Nevada Pale Ale (or a Sam Adams Rebel, or Oktoberfest) is close to 200 calories. A Dogfishhead 90 Minute IPA has 300 calories. Just a random sampling. Same with food, the better the beer the more calories it's gonna have.

But just like Double Quarter Pounders, you can have them, it's more about moderation.

Sucks too cuz I already drink only one night a week and eat pretty healthy. Obviously there's improvements to be made, no doubt. My biggest concerns aren't even really my weight, though that does need to go down. I need to get my good cholesterol up (bad cholesterol is fine, good just isn't high enough) and glucose down.

You probably just need to get your metabolism up a bit through exercise. I'm of the belief, through experience, that weight training is the way to go. Cardio will burn calories, but it won't help you put on muscle.

When I got back in the gym 10 years ago I actually wanted to gain weight. Started lifting weights, ate a lot more, and over the next 5 years I bulked up from 180 to 210 on a 5' 10" frame. Even at 210 I wasn't all that fat, but my cholesterol was high and my blood pressure was up.

That's when I decided to lose weight. I cut back on the food and the weight started to come off. I think it worked so well because I had put a lot of muscle on lifting weights.

After getting down to a relatively fit 175 lbs my cholesterol and blood pressure improved dramatically. Back when I was a flabby 180 my numbers were not good at all.

I don't think you need to do it my way since it sounds like you're already a bit heavy, but I think putting on some muscle will help you out with the cholesterol and your weight.

Biking is definitely easier on the body. When I do cardio I ride a stationary bike, partly because running messes up your feet, your knees, and your hips. I know some hardcore runners who are breaking down but keep doing it anyway because they're hooked on it for some insane reason.

I've read some articles that say that people who weigh themselves daily tend to do better, because it's actually less discouraging. Because you actually see the fluctuations and understand that you're looking at trends instead of just a snapshot.

I weigh myself first thing in the morning, I struggled to not do it more frequently at first, but now it's pretty consistent.

This is motivation for Jacob, so no one else read it. You wouldn't understand, you don't know him like I do.

I don't obey your rules.

And I think everyone has done that. I once lost almost an entire pound.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.