Before and After pics and stories?

Rock

I drive a jacked-up 4x4 pickup for field work. ... I get... called a [british slang for cigarettedea.

I don't think it's the truck-you might want to re-think the avavtar :)

K, Ericka? If you don't want to answer, cool, but may I ask, what put the weight on? Over how long a period of time? Is is genetic for you?

IF it's mostly bad habits, what about gastric surgery "fixes" that? I ask because I have thyroid disease but also developed a multi-level affair with food over a 46-year period when I started self-medicating for what would eventually be diagnosed as severe anxiety. I've had one thyroid surgery but now, my endocrinologist wants me to have a Roux-en-Y, but I'm not even pre-diabetic, so I'm going the organic route. I was sure that I'd eat the way I always have regardless of surgery, so that's the main reason I didn't do it. After all my research, I felt surgery was for those with multiple medical issues that needed to be solved ASAP. Did you have these? I've also heard of people who lost weight too fast and now look like a bag of rocks, people with puppy breath and people with permanent diarrhea. It scares me. Rearranging one's intestinal tract sounds like insanity to me, but like Ryn, I'm NOT judging your decision for yourself-I'm just fascinated with your balls, so to speak. Like did you hear these things, too, have the same fears and STILL did it? if Y/ you're my new role model.

K, Ericka? If you don't want to answer, cool, but may I ask, what put the weight on? Over how long a period of time? Is is genetic for you?

IF it's mostly bad habits, what about gastric surgery "fixes" that? I ask because I have thyroid disease but also developed a multi-level affair with food over a 46-year period when I started self-medicating for what would eventually be diagnosed as severe anxiety. I've had one thyroid surgery but now, my endocrinologist wants me to have a Roux-en-Y, but I'm not even pre-diabetic, so I'm going the organic route. I was sure that I'd eat the way I always have regardless of surgery, so that's the main reason I didn't do it. After all my research, I felt surgery was for those with multiple medical issues that needed to be solved ASAP. Did you have these? I've also heard of people who lost weight too fast and now look like a bag of rocks, people with puppy breath and people with permanent diarrhea. It scares me. Rearranging one's intestinal tract sounds like insanity to me, but like Ryn, I'm NOT judging your decision for yourself-I'm just fascinated with your balls, so to speak. Like did you hear these things, too, have the same fears and STILL did it? if Y/ you're my new role model.

I don't mind answering as long as you don't mind a really long reply!

First off-- you're thinking of the wrong surgery. I have a gastric sleeve, which basically just chops off the majority of your stomach and leaves just a tube (or "sleeve") shape of it intact. There is NO ****ing with your intestinal tract whatsoever. This was important to me, because I totally agree that messing with your intestines sounds crazy/scary.

So that eliminates the dog-breath and the pants-****ting problems right there. I've never had a problem with either of those things, and I've never heard of it happening with the gastric sleeve. You're thinking of the gastric bypass, which was pretty much the grandfather of weightloss surgery and is now being phased out by most doctors since it's kindof a hack-job on your body.

The loose skin was a concern of mine, but I honestly got lucky. I don't have any-- probably because I'm young and drink water/moisturize obsessively... and because other than the first few months after surgery, my weightloss has been pretty gradual. I've lost a total of 120 lbs, and there's another 50 or so I'd still like gone... but that will have to come from diet/exercise, so I think I'm pretty in the clear on the skin issue (knock on wood).

Second-- like most people, my fatness was a combination of a lot of things. Everyone in my family is fat, ESPECIALLY the womens, so there's definitely a genetic component right off the bat. Then there's the fact that I grew up with a single mother who wasn't around to teach us healthy habits, and as kids we fed ourselves by relying on convenience products. There was also no time/money for team sports or pretty much anything extra-curricular. My brother and I basically sat around eating mac n' cheese and playing Nintendo while mom worked.

Fast-forward to middle school, when my mom had a major car accident and became disabled. My brother is four years older and pretty much checked out-- he lived at summer camp 9 months out of the year. So ages 11-13 I took care of my mom however I could... cue using her credit card to order pizzas and eating ice cream watching movies. This is a sad, sedentary time of my life.

Added onto these things are a history of depression and being straight up poor. That's where my complex about "YAY! WE HAVE FOOD! EAT IT ALL!" comes in... because the first thing we did when we had extra money was run out to some yummy restaurant and celebrate. Food means we're doing ok.

Surgery doesn't "fix" these deep-seated issues... but it IS sortof a reset button for your brain. Food has lost a lot of it's irresistible quality for me. When you can't even finish a child's size portion of something, you become a lot more selective of what goes on your plate-- you wanna make it count. Plus there are a whole slew of unhealthy things (anything fried, ice cream, etc.) that I know will totally make me yack, so I avoid now. It's like wearing a shock collar. You're gonna keep barking for awhile until you learn it's not worth it anymore.

I didn't have any major medical problems... but I did it to avoid them. I honestly, truly, tried every weight loss method out there with mixed results. I was on weight watchers when I was 12. Nothing stuck, and I didn't want to yo-yo forever. So I cut out the boogey man and got to work on getting healthy.

Your success really depends on your pre-surgery habits. If you eat really bad and continue eating that way after, it's gonna be harder for you. My problem was mostly portion control-- because again, excess = yay! Plus I've always been a bit of a gourmand so it's not like I have a junk food addiction or anything. I truly just love good food, and eat way too much of it because it makes me happy. Seriously. I love talking about food, buying food, making food, serving food, eating food-- even taking pictures of food. But I've always preferred fresh veggies and fruit and beautiful healthy meals-- now I just can't overeat anymore.

I know a lot of people "eat around" their surgery-- my ex did that. He was constantly making himself sick and gained a good amount of weight back after his surgery... but he LOVED junky food and never really got over that part. It just depends on the person-- some people will adjust better than others.

The psych stuff is what I still struggle with. Every once in awhile I'll **** up and eat way too much and end up barfing in a restaurant bathroom-- but I'm thankful for that, because it's a reminder that HEY! you can't do that! and sets me back on track.

I don't know man... it definitely didn't solve all my problems, but it made them much more manageable.

That's the thing - it's just a tool, not some miracle cure. You have to want to make the change in your life or the surgery is a waste. Like I said in an earlier post, you can find ways around losing weight post-op, like drinking sweet tea or eating fatty or sugary foods. Most people have to see a shrink before the surgery to get their dome straight. Gives people the best chance to succeed. I saw a shrink for 4 visits prior to mine. She wants me to come back, but I don't really like her. B*tch interrupts me and her apartment is all creepy.

Anyway, good on ya, Ericka. Keep kicking ass and I'm jealous of your tight skin. Mine is already bunching up.

Wow, Rock. You have accomplished something amazing! I am so sorry that you had to basically go through hell to get there. That photo from the hospital makes me queasy.

But, I can see that the end result is a healthier, happier Rock. It's just a shame they broke your penis in the process.

• 2 weeks later...

This was Gainesville, Fl - home of the poor, starving college students, so you could actually pull off a decent wedding for $1500. Nothing extravagant, but it was nice for poor folk :) God, I look horrible. I hope that was at my worst.

Aww, thanks, Ryn! The photographer was the biggest must have for my wedding day (well other than the groom.)

And, Rock, it's actually awesome that you have found the photos you posted here because they are an awesome reminder of where you came from. "After" photos aren't nearly as impressive without the "before" ones to compare to.

You're right, but it's just depressing to see how bad I let myself get. I wasted so much of precious time being so unhappy. Of course I know it's all about the present/future, but I still feel bad about it. Plus I've had a few rough miserable days with my health so seeing this picture really hammered it home how bad I ****ed myself up and I deserve whatever happens to me.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.