Welcome to Nightly.Net
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

NBF - adding a bench position?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

Poll: Extra bench position? (9 member(s) have cast votes)

Should each NBF roster be given an additional BENCH slot starting next season?

1. Yes (6 votes [66.67%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 66.67%

2. No (3 votes [33.33%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 33.33%

Vote Guests cannot vote

Exodus

Exodus

Making This Sh*t Cool Again

• 27,292 posts
Sorry it has taken so long to get this poll going, but this came up again and it's time to make a decision - do we add another bench position to each roster?

I am in favor of yes, simply because the amount of bench spots should be equal to starting roster spots - and I know I'm not the only one who feels this way for that very reason. I think it makes sense. Plus there are lots of good FA's out there given the current amouunt of teams/roster spots and it would be fun to find that one extra piece (starting next season, lol) to help teams out.

Discuss for/against, and vote (votes are public because...reasons). If it wins majority, it will be incorporated into league settings startng next season.

Ms. Spam

Ms. Spam

MS.

• 17,704 posts
So I picked yes. Mostly because I only needed to replace Varejo for a little while so I don't mind one way or another but a yes means more wiggle room but an extra bench means someone who has a team that's stomping living hell with what he has can fill his bench with one good player that other wise might be available on waivers so I don't have to pick from the likes on waivers of Elton Brand, and what not.

Darth Irish

Darth Irish

Daily, nightly, and ever so rightly.

• 14,874 posts
I voted no but only if we are seeking to add it this season. If we're adding it for next season, I have no problem.

groove terminator

groove terminator

There are two rules for success: 1.) Don't tell all you know

• Members
  • 2,915 posts
I went with yes but I don't mind the depth available on the wire when you have as many injuries as I do

Darth Lohr

Darth Lohr

Voodoo Chile

• 16,969 posts
Yes, definitely.

Not only does it make symmetrical sense and serve to lessen the number of empty slots die to scheduling, it helps considerably in the matter of injuries. It is not uncommon for some teams to have three, four, even five guys hurt at the same time. Adding an IR slot would help some, but simply adding a roster spot instead would help more, because such a large number of those injuries are DTDs.

Some may argue that it thins the available FA pool, but I actually think that's not such a bad thing. There will always be players that emerge as the season goes along, due to unexpected development or opportunity. So, I'm not worried about that. I agree that there is "wasted talent" out there, which could be better utilized.

Darth Lohr

Darth Lohr

Voodoo Chile

• 16,969 posts
Also, I think it will help lessen the ability of teams to use the "quantity over quality" method of stuffing their stats by having a revolving door of players they pick up for a day or two simply because they have scheduled games, then dropping them for some other guy who has a scheduled game. While strictly legal, I find this to be a gutless method of winning that runs contrary to the "mano-a-mano" spirit of the head-to-head format. It reduces "whoever has the better team" to "whoever has the most players". Granted, that is already somewhat of a factor in fantasy basketball, but we as owners can't control the NBA schedule and over the season, that typically evens out. Intentionally inflating the numbers is very different. I admit I've done this myself, twice, but both times were in the playoffs and done only after my opponent started to do it (I may hate the tactic, but I wasn't going to just sit back and lose because of it, either). Even so, it bothered me having to resort to that and I'd love to see it go away altogether.

If there was an added roster spot, then it would be quite a bit riskier to try this. Right now, the pool is so deep, that many teams can cut their bottom player or two without fear, because there's probably several comparable players available. If those players were already taken, though, you run the risk that the guy you drop may get snatched up and you'd be stuck with an inferior player. That's the way it should be, if you ask me.

(Also along those lines, I think we should vote to lessen the number of transactions you can make in a week. Now, I'm probably the biggest tinkerer in the league, always trying to find just the right guy for my bottom spots. I wouldn't ever want to lose that ability. However, why in the name of Dr. J's Afro do we need seven acquisitions per matchup? I think three would be plenty and if this current prop passes, I think even two would be fine.)

Lucas1138

Lucas1138

Spam Lord

• Moderators
  • 18,260 posts
Further limiting transactions would be lame.

I would only want another bench spot if we also add an IR and another UTIL roster spot. Not otherwise.

Darth Lohr

Darth Lohr

Voodoo Chile

• 16,969 posts

I voted no but only if we are seeking to add it this season. If we're adding it for next season, I have no problem.

Since we are talking about next season, did you change your vote?

Darth Irish

Darth Irish

Daily, nightly, and ever so rightly.

• 14,874 posts
I agree with Lucas. I'd rather have an added player with the roster spot than just another bench spot. Every team has injuries but unless its a true star player, a la Durant, then injuries can be worked around by dropping hurt players and adding healthy ones. I specifically draft knowing that I will have at a minimum 2-3 players I wouldn't hesitate to drop if a better FA is available.

PS, Mano a Mano doesn't do anything for me if half my team only plays three games in the week. If you want to "even it out" mess with games played per position rather than acquisition limits, or drop counting stats as a part if scoring and stick solely to ratios and percentages. Otherwise, it's fair game.

Ms. Spam

Ms. Spam

MS.

• 17,704 posts
How about if we do it where you have to bid on your prospective waiver dude. We get a set sum for everyone. When you want to pick a player from waivers you put in the amount. That way if some one wants that player you picked the one with the bigger bid gets that player.

Exodus

Exodus

Making This Sh*t Cool Again

• 27,292 posts
We need three more votes - get 'em in!