Welcome to Nightly.Net
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Apocalypse on the big screen: when/how/etc

x-men apocalypse movies

41 replies to this topic

Exodus

Exodus

Making This Sh*t Cool Again

• 27,292 posts
He's my favorite Marvel villain. He's damn-near immortal. Ageless might be a better description.

His origin has him leading a revolution against Kang in ancient Egypt (or someplace and time very similar) and obtaining a great deal of his technology from him. That being said, he could be a huge part of the ultimate movie crossover lynchpin where X-Men connect to the rest of the Marvel movie universe somehow.

So how do we introduce this guy into the movies? Start off simple, introduce him, and see how it works before amping up his nearly limitless powers and ancient backstory? Do it Avengers-style and have something/someone else come first, like his Four Horsemen?

It can be done, it's just a question of how. And how much to start with.

R.CAllen

R.CAllen

walking

• 4,048 posts
Have him in the new X-men movie. And then go full nerd with a twist ending and have the rest of the movies be Age of Apocalypse.

Tex

Tex

• 0 posts
My problem with Apoc being THAT old is that he would've done something sooner. Think about it. Why not pounce on Bronze Age culture immediately. All he had to do was show that he was a mutant and people woud've worshipped him like a god. The Egyptians were so obsessed with death that they built pyramids to compensate for the fact that their "living god" Pharaohss were eventually going to die. It would have been the best time for a true immortal to flex his sht and take over.

Instead we're led to believe that he waited for 5000 to make his move. LAME!

Exodus

Exodus

• 27,292 posts
It is understandable. There were not enough others like him, in his view.

Tex

Tex

• 0 posts
So he just laid low for 5000 years waiting for the right time? Bullsht.

El Chalupacabra

El Chalupacabra

• Supporters
  • 8,594 posts

So he just laid low for 5000 years waiting for the right time? Bullsht.

Exactly. To comic booky. He doesn't need to be 5000 years old if they rewrite a few things. If they must flash back to ancient Egypt, time travel is a better explanation.

The Human Torch

The Human Torch

zambingo

• Members
  • 34,069 posts
If you use him, you use him right. He is 5000 years old etc. Screw you guys that say, EWW COMIC BOOKY! It is a comic book movie. SHADDUP!

:heart:
  • Exodus, Phil_Muzza and gldnx +1 this

Exodus

Exodus

• 27,292 posts
Exactly. He was born 5000 years ago around the same time that Kang the Conqueror was ruling Egypt, helped overthrow him, fought alongside the original incarnations of Moon Knight and S.H.I.E.L.D. fend off the Brood, later discovered Celestial technology and began the whole suspended animation concept and tranform himself further. How much of that they decide to include is anyones guess, but it cheapens his character to pretend none of that happened by altering his backstory/origin.

Tex

Tex

• 0 posts
It is way too comic booky. They make comic book movies for fans of the comics and non fans alike, so they'll have to tone down something as ridiculous as Apoc being 5000 years old.

The whole concept of him going into hybernation so that he can be revived once mutants are more prelevant is just lame. It's like the writers realized that if he was that old they had to account for his time between Egypt and modern times, so they took the lazy route and said he slept through most of it. That's just stupid.

Exodus

Exodus

• 27,292 posts
I don't think it's lame at all. He doesn't just go into hibernation/suspended animation for that reason, he also does it to regenerate and increase his strength/powers/abilities (among his various mutant abilities is being able to alter his own cellular structure).

Something to think about with Apocalypse is not only his link to Kang (an Avengers/Fantastic Four villain), but to the earliest incarnation of S.H.I.E.L.D. and the Celestials - who may turn up in some capacity when Marvel does Guardians of the Galaxy and possibly during Avengers 2 when they dive into the cosmic realm w/ Thanos.

Tex

Tex

• 0 posts
Agree to disagree.

As for how to introduce him, here are my thoughts: I think they should introduce him in DOFP in the future timeline. He'll be one of the many mutants who are being held prisoner, and he'll be a broken man. He'll make some reference to his vision of a mutant utopia being shattered, but he'll point out that since only the strong survive he deserves his fate because he was weak (he'll tell all the other mutants that they all deserve to die for the same reason). He'll be one of the many mutants to ultimately die at the sentinels' hands in the future scenario.

Once the X Men fix things and change the future, however, the movie will end with a tease of Apoc being alive and well in the present and ready to make his move.

Ryn

Ryn

Moonshadow

• Moderators
  • 28,534 posts
I'd rather see Kang.
  • The Human Torch +1 this

Exodus

Exodus

• 27,292 posts
I'm greedy and want to see both.

Driver

Driver

Tank

• Supporters
  • 6,591 posts
The Ultimate version of Mr. Sinister would work well in the films. He was basically Nathaniel Essex, rogue punk rock scientist. He was mutant obsessed and had managed to graft mutant genes onto himself, giving himself some powers. Ultimately, he kept doing this, living out some prophecy that he had possibly invented for himself that related to some ancient God. Eventually he mutated and became Apocalypse, the mutant God he worshipped.

Whether Apoc was an actual God returned, or if Sinister had just gone crazy with all the power is left open to interpretation.

The X-films are very rooted in scifi. We've seen mutant hatred and mutants trying to be superior. The concept of a scientist going overboard with mutant obsession could work.

Exodus-- what to you defines Apocalypse? How much of his 616 story would you need to see for it to deliver what you want?

Exodus

Exodus

• 27,292 posts
Keep his ancient roots in tact, though the details w/ Kang, the Brood, and the Celestials probably isn't necessary. Give him his cronies that watch over him while he hibernates, as well as his hidden sanctuaries in places like Egypt and Mount Everest. His motivation could be centuries of planning, and finally emerging to execute whatever his master plan in the context of the movies may be.

Mr. Winch

Mr. Winch

Be Mad. It Helps.

• 3,225 posts
Apocalypse on the big screen is basically Imhotep from the Mummy series.

Exodus

Exodus

• 27,292 posts
Funny because affection for a woman is a part of his backstory, too. But that is something that should not be dove into on film...unles they were so bold as to do an origins-type movie about the rise of Apocalypse. Not holding my breath on that one.

Stallion

Stallion

• Admin
  • 22,932 posts
My knowledge of him is based on the 90's cartoon, but what was the story behind his affection for a woman?

Exodus

Exodus

• 27,292 posts
While posing as a slave to secretly plot against Kang, he fell for a queen who later shunned him because of his mutant appearance - enraged, the full extent (at the time, with no Celestial modifications) of his mutant ability to modify his own molecular/cellular structure broke loose.

Exodus

Exodus

• 27,292 posts
Oh my, guys. Oh my...

http://www.bleedingc...ast-apocalypse/

Tex

Tex

• 0 posts
Makes sense that Apoc would be the mystery villain for the next X film, ala Thanos. I wouldn't expect him to be true to the character, though. I think he'll look at Apoc as a blank canvas, much like Nolan did with Bane.

Driver

Driver

Tank

• Supporters
  • 6,591 posts
I could see him being behind the fascist state from the future timeline in the movie. My apprehension has always been apocalypse was just too big and powerful, and his origin too complicated to fit into a movie. But to have him already in power in the future, and his rise unseen, and his background given to a past-timeline character as a brief would work.

I just hope this doesn't mean that there's no X-Men versus Sentinel action

Darth Krawlie

Darth Krawlie

privileged ****lord

• Moderators
  • 34,325 posts
Peter Dinklage = Apocalypse?

Exodus

Exodus

• 27,292 posts
That would be some interesting irony, for the smallest person in stature to actually be possibly the X-men's most powerful opponent in disguise. I didn't like the idea at first, but execution is capable of outweighing any doubts if it's good enough.

Driver

Driver

Tank

• Supporters
  • 6,591 posts
Didn't Singer say both that Big A would be a mo-cap/cgi character and separately that Dinklage wasn't going to be mo-capped?

Reply to this topic

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: x-men, apocalypse, movies