Wii-U Release: Anybody Buying?

Yeah I completely hear ya. It's a little different for me because I owned a game cube towards the end of its life cycle and with the Nintendo heavy hitters, I really only played sunshine and wind waker. With the wii, it was more of a casual system for me and really only played twilight princess and donkey Kong returns. And I never owned an N64. So I've missed out on a lot of first party stuff that most others havent.

It also helps having a 4 year old interested in gaming. And what better way to really get him into games than with Nintendo? It's very nostalgic for me. Been a lot of fun.

Glad you are liking it. My wife and I might bite the bullet if it goes on a nice Black Friday sale or something. There are a bunch of games in interested in playing. Wink Waker, 3D world, New Super Mario/Luigi U, Mario Kart, and Smash Bros next month.

A Zelda game would get me to put down the cash right now, but seems like we are a year or more out from that.

• 2 months later...

Glad to hear it. Me and my son really enjoy the wii u. I actually look forward to our evenings when we sit down and play together for an hour or so.

If you're looking at value and the quality of games, the wii u is the best system on the market currently.

I find Nintendo to be a horrendously byzantine system to use. Wiis drive me crazy. Hours and hours spent configuring the system, trying to create online profiles and running into error after error. User profiles vanish wihout a trace. The same processes do not produce the same results twice. If you forget how you set something up in the system when you first get it, God help you. I wonder if the designers of these things ever use it themselves and realize just how user unfriendly their systems really are.

It's too bad because there's a lot you can do with them, I just don't have the time to constantly be relaying error codes and serial numbers to Nintendo tech support or sifting through mountains of online forums just to figure out why it's not connecting to Netflix THIS time or WTF is wrong with the profile name I'm trying to enter. If my kids didn't like it as much as they did, I simply wouldn't bother.

I bought one, and honestly only use it casually when I have friends around or feel like having an odd game of Mario, but I've honestly got no regrets in getting it. Even though all the best games on the systems are as previously said, just re-hashes of old franchises, I can forgive Nintendo for it because they rarely do things half-arsed. The new Mario Kart and Smash Brothers games have both been amazing and I'd even say for those two alone the console has been a good purchase.

The gameplay footage of the new Zelda looked great too, the kind of Zelda fans have been longing for. But it's biggest issue is the lack of third party support. Which is a shame, because it has a lot of potential with the gamepad. I thought before using it that it would very gimmicky, but to me it's set it apart from the PS4 and Xbox and found it pretty useful.

• 2 weeks later...

the initial set up of mine took around 2 hours, but that was because of downloading updates, and i had put mario kart 8 in and it also had a bunch of updates to install. but after the initial set up, i've had no issues whatsoever with the system or wi-fi. it's been butter. my son plays it more than me, (especially now that i have an xbox one) and being that we live in a 2 bedroom apartment, i really love the wii u gamepad. i can watch tv or play my xbox one while he can play a mario game or whatever on his gamepad.

looking forward to the new zelda. from the sounds of it, it's an open world. that's awesome. my son and i walked through WW on wii u recently. i played 90% of the game, but he just really enjoyed watching me play and loved the story and everything else that came with the game.

• 2 months later...

PSA: If you are older than 7, do not bother with Mario Party 10. Bowser mode was fun for a few playthroughs but the game overall is horrible. We're returning it after 3 hours of play. I am so sad to see such a horribly executed first party title from Nintendo.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.