Wii-U Release: Anybody Buying?

Bad reviews and a lackluster previous generation have me uninterested in the latest Nintendo console. In general I feel like this generation has been rushed and hasn't had the quality games of the previous generation, and I'm not excited about anything new coming out, and don't know that I'll be buying any of the next-gen consoles.

Guest El Chalupacabra

No. Backwards compatibility is important for me. The last Nintendo console I purchased was the Gamecube. I had considered upgrading to the Wii, but because the Gamecube was still functioning perfectly (and still is, though I never play it), and the fact that the Wii wasn't HD, I couldn't justify the Wii, so I went with an Xbox 360 instead. I had intended on getting a Wii-U, but when I found out you can't play GC discs on it, I bailed on the Wii-U.

In fact, I am not sure I am going to buy anymore consoles, to be honest. My gaming has tapered off big time in recent years. My Xbox 360 ended up getting very little use and I bought only 7 actual xbox 360 games (others being original xbox games), so I ended up just giving it to my brother. I figure at that rate, I would be better off just getting a PC version of a game, if I really want it, rather than dropping coin on another console.

This generation has lasted alot longer then many of the previous ones.

It has, but games have also taken significantly longer to create, and I don't think that there's going to be enough of a jump in quality to warrant an upgrade.

• 1 month later...

Got one for xmas. A new Mario game always brings out the sucker in me. And Zombie U is brilliant as well. Having a lot of fun with those, but wonder just how much the control actually makes sense. I barely use it at all in Mario, but the game itself is awesome. For Zombie U, it´s basically the worst light gun ever, but I love it anyway. Now bring on Bayonetta 2!

I played one for the first time this past weekend, we played Nintendoland. Fun multiplayer party game that makes use of the pad in a great way.

But I'm not in love with motion controls as they often feel forced into games and aren't really at a level that's fun in many games (see: Zelda games), the gimmick of the pad will lose it's appeal quickly as few games make good use of it.

I really want to be in, and if I had a ton of money I would probably buy one, but there are more important things for me to spend my money on.

Well, yeah, the Zelda part of Nintendoland is pretty damn good while most of the other minigames left me cold. But Skyward Sword was the only Wii game that I really loved together with Mario Galaxy 1 and 2 so basically, I just want the new Mario and Zelda games, everything else is gravy. Even got myself a 3DS just to play Ocarina of Time again, still one of the best games ever.

A new GOOD Metroid game wouldn´t hurt either. But with 3rd party support this time around I´m pretty excited about just about everything except the control itself. That will probably get old very soon.

• 2 weeks later...

I just love the cellshade! Sure, it´s cartoony but when playing the exact same fairytale for the eleventh time... what´s better than making it look like a kid´s acrtoon as well?

It just didn't do anything for me. The gameplay was great.

Because of that though, my second favorite is a link to the past.

New Zelda game announced för Wii U but no details yet. And a remake for Wii U of "The Wind Waker", IMO the second best Zelda game ever. (After "Ocarina of time" of course.) Bring em on!

If they announced that Wind Waker had the lost levels, I might actually consider getting a Wii U. I'm not that excited about buying the system though. The graphics are on-par with the PS3 and 360, and I see the pad as nothing more than a distraction from gaming on the big screen.

The last Nintendo console I'd bought was a Gamecube, and I would probably pick up a used Wii, before I plunged into paying full price for a Wii U.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't really know what to think of Nintendo anymore. I used to appreciate the fact that they always tried to do something different; top loading instead of discs, smaller discs, motion control... Virtual Boy... but now I just wish they'd release a "proper" high-tech gaming machine.

Well, Wii was a huge success, at least over here. Perfectly timed for the "casual gaming" fad and still managed to keep the fanboys (like me) happy with games like Mario Galaxy I and II and Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword and... absolutely nothing else to be honest.

So compared to that, Wii U will probably be a failure. But meanwhile, I can play Zombi U and wait for Bayonetta 2 and at least pretend that this time around there will be more good hardcore games. Like at least one.

• 9 months later...

Any takers on the Wii-U after the price cut? I had seriously contemplated purchasing the system, but just couldn't justify the outlay of cash. Having seen the system mature over the past year or so, I can't say that I'm really impressed. I WANT to like this system, but I'm just not sold. For one, I don't have an HD TV, so the HD is not a salient sales point for my current gaming. Second-- are they going to release ANY decent games (third party or otherwise)? To date, the only things that have really interested me are ZombieU, Nintendoland (which probably wouldn't hold my interest), and a couple of the Mario/Luigi titles (which are just rehashes). Probably the biggest selling point is the opportunity to download old classic games-- which I can also do on the Wii. I think this system's shelf life is going to be pretty short.

I've had an opportunity to play, and I'm underwhelmed. It feels EXACTLY like the Wii with a tablet. Most people I know who aren't gamers still think it's a peripheral for the Wii, and that may have been a better way for Nintendo to go.

• 10 months later...

so i bit the bullet and bought a wii u (black 32gb) the other night. i'm pretty critical of nintendo, but if they do one thing right, it's their first party games. the first party games that are out now is worth the purchase of the wii u for me. got it used for $269 at my local vintage stock. for now, just have mario kart 8 along with assassins creed 3 that i picked up for $8.

this thing is a blast. me and my son have had some quality time with it, and i'm really surprised at how great this system is. it's a real shame that the 3rd party support sucks so terribly, bad i'm at that point in my life where i'm pretty happy and content with playing games with my son, and if it entails mario, link and kirby, so be it.

Almost two years later and I still have no interest whatsoever in it. What's already available on the system is just rehashed versions of Nintendo franchises I've already re-bought on each system. At this point the only thing that's going to get me to buy is a new Zelda game that completely re-invents its own wheel.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.